Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: That grinding's gotta go
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Wednesday afternoon I couldn't stand it any longer. Teachuing my son to drive a stick has taken it's toll on an already bad situation. So, I got new dogteeth and syncro from Rich and had at it. The hardest prt was getting the dog teeth out of 1st gear. I finally just used a sharp chisel and tapped them off. Left the tranny and engine in the car and just lowered it enough for access.
DNHunt
1st gear assembly
DNHunt
cover with reverse and speedo drive
DNHunt
Worn dogteeth
DNHunt
Worn slider. The teeth are slightly rounded and the groove to receive the synco ring is worn.
DNHunt
The syncro was worn. All in all it was a nice afternoon project and it really helped.

Dave
xsboost90
hmm... idea.gif that looks easy. I need that. Where did you get the parts, how much and how difficult? Sounds like a winter project...or weekend.
jr91472
have you priced 1st gear sliders?.......... holy stromberg.gif

If you stumble on a deal, let me know. Mine is only slightly better.
Red-Beard
The slider in the picture is in pretty good shape. Use a file and clean up the slots. Use a dremel tool to grind and repoint the tips.

The dog teeth are done! This is a classic picture of bad dogteeth. Look at the right hand side of the picture and see how the dog teeth are "dished" in the middle.

1 point. Since you removed the slider, you lost your alignment of the 1st gear shift rod. You need to remove the shift console from the side of the transmission and line up the shift rod notch with the others. You tighten the nut on the shiftrod after you align the shiftrod, so do this before you put the cover back on.

James
Red-Beard
New 1st/reverse slider $395.33

http://parts.professionalautoparts.com/

Free shipping over $50.
DNHunt
James

I''m not sure I get how I changed the alignment of the shift rod. I unbolted the shift fork but the shft rod never moved. I guess I'm just a little confused about that.

Dave
Red-Beard
The alignment is not in/out, but radial.

With the shift console out, you can see the position of the shift rods in relation to each other. The Slot in each rod should be lined up, since the shift rake moves in/out to engage the different rods. If the rod isn't aligned right, it can engage in the wrong spot, and try to put 2 gear into play at the same time, or possible hang up and prevent operation of that gear.

As you're re-installing the shift fork and slider, look up into the hole and turn the shift rod until it lines up with the other 2.

James
Bleyseng
agree.gif
Red-Beard
Oh, and to help re-install the cover, "glue" the washer that sits under reverse to the intermediate plate with thick grease. Then, use grease to hold all of reverse together. It will go back together easier if you remove the speed drive from the rear cover then re-install afterwards.

Do not over torque the screw which hold in the speedo drive. 3 ft lbs. Three foot pounds!!!!!
Cap'n Krusty
I just VERY ACCURATELY mark the rail and fork. Worked for me for 30+ years. The hard part is doing it accurately, and knowing the last guy did it right. Dye Kem is a lifesaver, here .................. The Cap'n
Red-Beard
You're right. But you have to mark it _before_ you disassemble...

beerchug.gif
DNHunt
Ok now I get it.

I assumed that the slot in the shift rod had no room for adjustment but, I found about 1 to 1.5 mm that the shift fork could travel. Pretty easy adjustment to make if I would have been aware of it. Anyway it's done now.

Thanks you guys

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.