Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smokin Deal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
I recently took on another home remodel in a pro-development state (AZ) and have not had a lot of seat-time in the 3.0 -6.

Recently I returned to California to pick up a tandem axle trailer and other construction goodies for the AZ undertaking. While in Newport Beach, I thought it wise to fire up the 914 and wring it out to be sure I could refresh my memory of driving for a purpose other than to get from Home Depot to Floor and Decor.

The 914 had been sitting for two weeks + / a record for not being well road-tested. When I fired it up, big plumes of dark blue smoke billowed from the tail pipe and although it was stone cold from sitting for two weeks and on dead level ground, it started up fine. After several of the neighbors ran away clutching their cell phones and called in the fire department, the Cops, and the EPA enforcement agent dweebs - they all showed up and asked for my Emissions Permit Allowance / Fumigation Under Critical Kunditions (y'all can figure out the acronym)......... er,... anyway, the cloud of smoke cleared the entire population of the electric car crowd in the neighborhood and I had to take the car out on the highway to blow out the smoke issue.

The ones that followed the 914 misquito abatement vehicle frantically texted my Cali plate to the cops (a plate which reads T-R-A-N-C-H-E) but they dropped off due to smoke inhalation but not before Googling wtf TRANCHE means...... It means, in this case, "a little bit of a lot of things,.. Mostly smoke.. " I ran the car until the smoke issue went away.

Now today, I returned, yet again to lil' smokey........ after three weeks of the car sitting on the same level parking spot and I fired it up. It instantly jumped to life and without the slightest puff of smoke. confused24.gif not one as if it had been started every day as befor the AZ project.

Has anyone experienced this issue on cold stat after leaving a well built 6 sitting for a few days or more likely weeks? Maybe oil past the rings but.... why not today? I thought something was amiss but today's drive put that fear to rest. Maybe simply a Halloween issue........... confused24.gif sage advice will be appreciated

beerchug.gif
wndsrfr
Check the dipstick.....might have blown out all your oil on the previous run???
forrestkhaag
Interesting.
the oil level is perfect and reads to the marks on the original 914-6 tank's filler neck dipstick. Good observation and i appreciate the input but I did check that one on each occasion. new oil is a regular with me. Further, my habit on oil on 911's is to drop all or as much oil in a change into a clean measurable bucket then check for metal with a magnet on a stick then measure the amount out / and add that back in with new oil. warm up and confirm correct oil level. This particular engine is a new build of around 7K never loses oil and doesn't burn it to any discernible degree....... until the smoke bomb event......... beerchug.gif
mb911
Yes very typical.. What happens is the oil from the tank leaks past the oil pump filling the case and past the rings.. Takes a while to burn out.. I have even seen some cars hydrolock and have to turn the engine reverse to get oil out to the exhaust. That was on a 3.2 .
ConeDodger
There’s a one way valve... don’t know if it works but???
euro911
After reading Ben's assessment, I wondered if a check valve might be something to consider ... idea.gif

Interesting that you found that, Rob.
mepstein
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 28 2018, 09:24 PM) *

After reading Ben's assessment, I wondered if a check valve might be something to consider ... idea.gif

Forest's issue is pretty common. the one way valve will fix it with no downside.

Rothsport Oil Inlet Check Valves

http://www.rothsport.com/Products/Engine/O...heck-Valves.htm
jos.hall
burning out the neighborhood makes for a better story though so stick with what you're doin.
914_teener
Ok..sage advice:

Take it to Arizona and leave it there and no one will complain.

Flat sixes are known for this after sitting for a while....so don.t worry about it.
Tbrown4x4
I'm curious. Not very familiar with the sixes, but I've actually heard about this condition. Did this happen all of a sudden, or is this going to be the new "normal" after sitting long enough? Did the original engine design address this, or did they just assume people would drive often enough for it not to be an issue?
Coondog
Forrest, I love your stories. But I gotta wonder who was smoking more when you wrote this. You or your car...... elvira.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

No worries my friend, my 3.2 does that on occasion, first time it happened I got on the phone with PMS. James stated what mb911 and Mepstein said.
orthobiz
Tranche = Slice

Paul
Tdskip
Not uncommon for a 6, if only after sitting and goes away I'd not worry about it.
jim_hoyland
I’ll bet your New Porsche Beach neighbors are pleased ?
forrestkhaag
Well and good advise from all / particularly the one-way valve...... Thanks and I will do that one if I can get a clean AN fitting to attach to my AN oil lines as the install now is pretty pristine.

Good to hear it is not uncommon. I don't remember it with my 911 SC's of the past however. Butt back in those days, I never looked back after jumping out of a window to dive into the driver's seat for a fast exit............ lol-2.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Oct 29 2018, 06:44 PM) *

Well and good advise from all / particularly the one-way valve...... Thanks and I will do that one if I can get a clean AN fitting to attach to my AN oil lines as the install now is pretty pristine.

Good to hear it is not uncommon. I don't remember it with my 911 SC's of the past however. Butt back in those days, I never looked back after jumping out of a window to dive into the driver's seat for a fast exit............ lol-2.gif

Cool car.

I actually saw you drive by on Dyer today, dapper as ever, but no smoke.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 28 2018, 10:24 PM) *

I’m going to try it...
RickS
Have the Rothsport version in my 911 and it has cut down initial smoke at startup by 50%. The plugs also don’t oil foul either.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RickS @ Oct 30 2018, 01:52 AM) *

Have the Rothsport version in my 911 and it has cut down initial smoke at startup by 50%. The plugs also don’t oil foul either.

Rothsport version. Less money, but doesn’t come with the lines.
porschetub
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Oct 29 2018, 10:02 PM) *

I'm curious. Not very familiar with the sixes, but I've actually heard about this condition. Did this happen all of a sudden, or is this going to be the new "normal" after sitting long enough? Did the original engine design address this, or did they just assume people would drive often enough for it not to be an issue?

Yes after sitting for a long period,oil has migrated back to the case from the tank and the engine starts quickly and the scavenge pump can't move that large volume of oil back to the tank quick enough.
It's never happened with my engine but it can,save some $$$'s and just pull the fuel pump relay or fuse crank for 30 seconds then repower the pump and start the engine.
Regular starts will sort this possible issue if you can.
whitetwinturbo
............pretty common. My 3.6 air cooled flat, when left alone too long, does the WWII navy smoke screen on start up but the oil burn off right away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.