Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COA, or whatever they're calling it now
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adolimpio
I've requested a Porsche Product Specifications (COA), and its now been a month since they charged my Credit Card, and I still have not received anything.

Is this normal?
Do I need to be more patient?
DRPHIL914
normal, mine took 2 months
bbrock
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 30 2018, 12:35 PM) *

normal, mine took 2 months

agree.gif Mine took about 6 weeks.
gcrotvik
Mine was at least a month, and that was several years ago.
adolimpio
Thanks!

I expected it to take a while, but it took about a month before they charged my Credit Card and then I thought the longest part of the wait was over.

jim_hoyland
Where do you request COA ?
adolimpio
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 30 2018, 05:52 PM) *

Where do you request COA ?

https://www.pca.org/resource/porsche-certif...uthenticity-coa
Unobtanium-inc
6-8 weeks is normal, if you contact them they can tell you when it went to the printer and when you should expect it.

coa@porsche.us

DRPHIL914
FYI look over the info once you get it. Just got mine this summer and they have to re-do it , lazy prep. I even sent them copies of the bill of sale and window sticker and pictures of the engine and trans codes . both the bill of sale and sticker show all the AP group options and the color but they still left stuff off and listed the interior color as special order black leather(a 911 option but not a 914!) SO VERY DISSAPOINTED! To spend $125 or what ever for that kind of lazy work is just ridiculous . Good luck I hope yours is more accurate. I will say it did verify my color code and matching correct engine number so that's probably what matters the most.

Phil

also this listed manufacture date is incorrect as well. should be 9-15-74.
DRPHIL914
I didn't get a picture of the whole thing but the interior color code is listed on the right side and like I said is incorrect. I bought the car with the original interior which was tan. So I don't know who to call but I need to get that done soon so hopefully they will correct it.
bbrock
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 1 2018, 08:42 AM) *

I didn't get a picture of the whole thing but the interior color code is listed on the right side and like I said is incorrect. I bought the car with the original interior which was tan. So I don't know who to call but I need to get that done soon so hopefully they will correct it.

There should be contact info on the letter that came with the COA. My COA was correct but I was underwhelmed by the amount of information they provided. All they listed for optional equipment on mine was "US Equipment" even though mine clearly had other factory options and a somewhat oddball mix of them at that. I contacted them to clarify some of it. They replied fairly quickly but I was unsuccessful in getting any additional info.
Racer
The quality of the COA has changed over the years. Nowadays you have to provide the Transmission # too. I have one from the 1990s and one from 2015(?) and the information presents differently even though the car is the same.

Cant recall but I think my latest one was about a 6 week wait...
Unobtanium-inc
For the record, COA's have been a weak document from the beginning. Here is a perfect example. The COA is from 1991.
I recently bought a 61 Cab. The owner had a hand written note from the previous owner that the engine had been replaced by the Factory with an SC motor, apparently the original Super 90 motor went boom. I checked the COA that came with the car, no mention of this, so I kind of filed it in that place where all the other folk-lore stories go. "My car was a Factory Use car" or "My car was driven in the Alps by Baron You Know Who" "Ferry Porsche wrote his memos while sitting in my car" etc, etc, etc.
But just to double check I pulled a Kardex on the car and wouldn't you know it, in June of 64 the Factory installed the SC engine that is currently in the car! You would think this would be good information to put on the COA, considering it shows the continuity of the motors. But there was no mention of this on the COA, though Porsche is supposed to use the Kardex to get all the information for the COA, so when the COA was filled out the writer had the same info I have now. I guess I could rail at the person who signed the COA, but he's no longer with Porsche so it wouldn't change anything. But it would be much nicer for the consumer if Porsche would just provide a scan of the Kardex, they can redact the owner info to get around privacy laws. They've always maintained the COA is just as good as the Kardex, but this instance proves that wrong. For $120 they should go the extra mile.
flyer86d
It took about 6 weeks to get the one for our 73 911T earlier this summer. I really don’t give a damn about it, we’ve owned the car for 34 years but it seems like everyone looking at the car (it is for sale) thinks it is a document of utmost importance. It did show that it is a matching numbers original color car and all of the 911S bits came on the car as delivered.

When we restored our 1958 Coupe during the 1980s thru the first half of the 1990s, I didn’t bother with the COA. I had a pretty good history of the car from the previous owner who was the second owner. We never could explain why, when we stripped the car to bare metal, there were no over rider holes in the body for the US bumpers. I got the car without bumpers and put nerf bars on it when we restored it. I sold the car in 2010 to a fellow in Canada. He had a connection and had the Cardex pulled. Yes, it was a numbers match car and was sold new in Germany to an American GI who then brought it back with him to the US. That explained it and the COA never would have...

Charlie
bbrock
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 2 2018, 08:20 AM) *

But just to double check I pulled a Kardex on the car and wouldn't you know it, in June of 64 the Factory installed the SC engine that is currently in the car! You would think this would be good information to put on the COA, considering it shows the continuity of the motors. But there was no mention of this on the COA, though Porsche is supposed to use the Kardex to get all the information for the COA, so when the COA was filled out the writer had the same info I have now. I guess I could rail at the person who signed the COA, but he's no longer with Porsche so it wouldn't change anything. But it would be much nicer for the consumer if Porsche would just provide a scan of the Kardex, they can redact the owner info to get around privacy laws. They've always maintained the COA is just as good as the Kardex, but this instance proves that wrong. For $120 they should go the extra mile.

How did you get your hands on the Kardex? I'd love to get a peek at that for my car.

Regarding transmission #: I provided that with my app and the COA just listed "Unconfirmed." I followed up and was told they didn't have info about the original transmission # for the car even though the app makes kind of big deal about it.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 4 2018, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 2 2018, 08:20 AM) *

How did you get your hands on the Kardex? I'd love to get a peek at that for my car.

Regarding transmission #: I provided that with my app and the COA just listed "Unconfirmed." I followed up and was told they didn't have info about the original transmission # for the car even though the app makes kind of big deal about it.

Kardex's stopped late 69/early 70, they went to a different system, so no Kardex for 914.
You get a bunch of codes, which translates to options, but it's far less dramatic than having the hard card. I get mine from a friend at the Factory, but my un-written rule is I only get them for myself. There are guys on the 356 Registry and early S Registry who charge to get one.
SirAndy
So, how do i find out what my engine number is supposed to be? The original engine is long gone ...

They now want *me* to provide that info ...
WTF.gif
MikeM
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 10 2018, 10:33 AM) *

So, how do i find out what my engine number is supposed to be? The original engine is long gone ...

WTF.gif

Totally agree SirAndy!!! If you have to provide the information it defeats the purpose of the COA. I would never pay for that service!!
Mike
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(MikeM @ Dec 10 2018, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 10 2018, 10:33 AM) *

WTF.gif

Totally agree SirAndy!!! If you have to provide the information it defeats the purpose of the COA. I would never pay for that service!!
Mike

I think Porsche is headed towards the likes of Ferrari where they want to certify your car as original, or not. Porsche is making a big push into their Classic Centers which was both service and restore the early cars. Thus, they are tightening the grip on the info for our cars. They say the new COA is set up to prevent fraud, i.e. stamping of blank engines, which does happen, but what the COA is really becoming is a tool to help value a car, meaning if your car is matching numbers and you have the Porsche paperwork to prove it, it's worth more. Like a lot of things Porsche it's becoming all about the money, not the fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.