Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: URGENT HELP REQUIRED
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
Gentlemen,

Got in the car to start it yesterday and it would not start. We've managed to trace the problem down to the fact that the fuel pump is not getting any power.

Can anyone help us with troubleshooting what too look at next. We know that the power is switched through the Fuel Pump relay on the relay board, but dont really know what or how to check there.

Would really like to talk to someone ASAP as I only have limited hold over my brother/mechanic! ohmy.gif

Anyone willing to speak real time would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Doug
JFJ914
Try Brad Anders site, http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/ , there is a comprehensive D-Jet section containing flow charts to guide you.

John Jentz
Bleyseng
Change the fuel pump relay with another one, they do go bad or the contacts get junked up preventing the flow of electricity.
Geoff
URY914
I've had to run a wire from the hot side of the coil directly to the pump. Then you'll if it the pump, or a relay, fuse etc. Try it but be careful you don't touch that hot wire to anything else.

Paul
tod914
If the fuse (not the relay), keeps blowing while your testing this, it could also be your AAR. They share the same fuse. You could disconnect the aar to check if indeed that is happening. dont ask me how i know ar15.gif headbang.gif
dagdal1967
PROBLEM SOLVED.

We managed to test the fuel pump and it was fine so we started tracking the wiring starting with the relay board.

Thank goodness for my workshop manual that had the full schematic! With a bit of trial and error and a bit of luck we managed to find out that one of the Fuel Pump Relays was bad.

I replaced it with the Hot Air Blower relay and It started like a charm.

I'll just have to get a replacement for the hot air blower and at least a spare.

Anyone know if you can get these anywhere outside of the obvious PP/AA? Do larger Auto parts stores or VW dealers carry them??

Thanks

Doug
tod914
Id buy them from porsche. That way you get a german made 1. Most of the other parts places sell ones made in china.
seanery
Rich Bontempi has them at HPH.

I bought a couple when I was there.

www.highperformancehouse.com
ein 6er
hey doug,

once, i had a fuel pump relay go bad on a 74 2.0. IIRC the pump stayed on with key off. at the time, (early 80s), i didn't know you could swap relays. so i opened the relay, there is a small breaker point that opens and closes for the pump. i had to put a toothpic between the points to shut off the pump. when i went somewhere i would pull the toothpic and start the car. when i got to where i was going i had put the pic back in!!

worked great until i could find another relay!!

doug waters
dagdal1967
QUOTE(ein 6er @ Jul 14 2003, 01:02 PM)
hey doug,

once, i had a fuel pump relay go bad on a 74 2.0. IIRC the pump stayed on with key off. at the time, (early 80s), i didn't know you could swap relays. so i opened the relay, there is a small breaker point that opens and closes for the pump. i had to put a toothpic between the points to shut off the pump. when i went somewhere i would pull the toothpic and start the car. when i got to where i was going i had put the pic back in!!

worked great until i could find another relay!!

doug waters

LOL..

Necessity, the mother of invention!

I took my old relay apart as well and went through it with a multi-tester. Somewhere in the coil, there was a break in continuity, so no such luck for me.

I've ordered new relays and they should be here tomorrow. Back to normal !!!

Thanks again for tall the help guys.

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.