Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pennsylvania Mechanic Recommendation - '75 2.0L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kliney30
Hi All -

It's been a few years (way too long) since I've spent time on my 914 and been on this site, but have always appreciated all of the great advice here. I'm looking for a good / reputable mechanic in the PA area. I live nearby to Philly and am looking for some general work to be done and would like to invest in some body work / new paint (would love to re-paint as Malaga Red again).

Does anyone have good suggestions for a mechanic and / or body or paint work? The place I used to use has since closed down.

Thanks in advance,
Evan
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Chris Radbill
CHRISTOPHER RADBILL

906 OLD FERN HILL RD
UNIT 6
West Chester, PA 19380-4208
610 701 9401

QUOTE(kliney30 @ Nov 1 2018, 08:28 AM) *

Hi All -

It's been a few years (way too long) since I've spent time on my 914 and been on this site, but have always appreciated all of the great advice here. I'm looking for a good / reputable mechanic in the PA area. I live nearby to Philly and am looking for some general work to be done and would like to invest in some body work / new paint (would love to re-paint as Malaga Red again).

Does anyone have good suggestions for a mechanic and / or body or paint work? The place I used to use has since closed down.

Thanks in advance,
Evan
rgolia
There is also Tony Miller at Translog in York PA
Dr Evil
Paul Behofist at EIMC in Harrisburg. He races a 914/6, too.
Dion
Agree with the Chris Radbill suggestion.
He’s my guy.

Brian (threev8) on here was satisfied with

J & J
1111 West Lancaster Avenue, Rear
Bryn Mawr PA 19010
kliney30
Perfect - thanks for the suggestions. Chris Radbill and J&J May be closest to me, so I’ll reach out to them.

Appreciate the quick feedback!

Evan
Amphicar770
For body work, I would highly recommend Matus Brothers in Bridgeport. They have done work on my classics and newer cars. Top notch at a fair price.

Here is my thread from when I had work done by Chris Radbill's shop.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=288144

Mixed bag IMHO. They did good work and car was running well afterward. It did sit at their shop for quite a while before they worked on it despite scheduled time / date. Definitely had some sticker shock. Skilled mechanics deserve a premium but some labor seemed excessive (2 hours to tighten exhaust nuts, 45 minutes to adjust thermostat cable, .2 hours to reset master cylinder safety switch when the underside panels were already off to do the tie rods). I did need to redo shift linkage adjust two days later as set screw came loose. It also died on way home which, I can see why they missed, turned out to be loose connection to CHT.

Also, check out
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=189365

Cal
I've had work done at Chris Radbill's, Jay Winsor's and at Brian Matus's shop. They're all honest and trustworthy.....each have their pros and cons.

Radbill
pros: able to perform mechanical and body work
pros: he's familiar with 914's
cons: very small shop....all vehicles keep outside under car covers
cons: not cheap
cons: time of service can be long

Jay Winsor (J&J)
pros: able to perform mechanical work
pros: he's familiar with 914's
pros: reasonably priced
cons: not able to perform body work
cons: time of service can be long

Matus
pros: excellent body shop
pros: reasonably priced
pros: quick turnaround
cons: not able to perform mechanical work
cons: mainly works on newer cars
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(Dion @ Nov 1 2018, 02:07 PM) *

He’s my guy.

J & J
Bryn Mawr PA 19010

Yep, really happy with J and J. Jay Windsor knows his stuff. I bring my 914 to him and just brought my father's 911 to him last week. He truly gets it and is very fair. No pressure, just tells it like it is.

If you decide to go that route, feel free to mention Brian with the '74 914 and the '86 Carrera. Can't hurt..might get you an earlier appointment.

We're lucky to have a lot of good choices around here.
Cal
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Nov 1 2018, 09:09 PM) *

He’s my guy.

J & J
Bryn Mawr PA 19010

Yep, really happy with J and J. Jay Windsor knows his stuff. I bring my 914 to him and just brought my father's 911 to him last week. He truly gets it and is very fair. No pressure, just tells it like it is.

If you decide to go that route, feel free to mention Brian with the '74 914 and the '86 Carrera. Can't hurt..might get you an earlier appointment.

Hey Brian,
Is this your 914? I drive past Jay's shop once a week to see what he's working on and noticed this car a couple of weeks ago.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(Cal @ Nov 1 2018, 10:02 PM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Nov 1 2018, 09:09 PM) *

He’s my guy.

J & J
Bryn Mawr PA 19010

Hey Brian,
Is this your 914? I drive past Jay's shop once a week to see what he's working on and noticed this car a couple of weeks ago.

Yes, that's mine...small world. beerchug.gif

There was an orange 2.0 with chrome bumpers and fuchs when I was there with the 911 last week. Wonder if it belongs to someone on here.
Cal
There appears to be a number of 914 owners in the Philadelphia area.....(6) in this thread alone. We should consider getting together to talk 914's and compare war stories.....would anyone be interested?
Dion
QUOTE(Cal @ Nov 2 2018, 05:25 PM) *

There appears to be a number of 914 owners in the Philadelphia area.....(6) in this thread alone. We should consider getting together to talk 914's and compare war stories.....would anyone be interested?

Certainly, we did do a run to Divine Swine Brewery last November. Getting
times coordinated is always the challenge.
I’ve finally caught up with Brian at a cars & coffee.
Dave & I hang out quite a bit. Sorting the cars out & such.
Just throw out a time and place. Always happy to meet 914 peeps.
Keep us posted Jeff.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(Dion @ Nov 2 2018, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ Nov 2 2018, 05:25 PM) *

Certainly, we did do a run to Divine Swine Brewery last November. Getting
times coordinated is always the challenge.
I’ve finally caught up with Brian at a cars & coffee.
Dave & I hang out quite a bit. Sorting the cars out & such.
Just throw out a time and place. Always happy to meet 914 peeps.
Keep us posted Jeff.

In as well, as long as the timing works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.