Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the best way to remove this seized engine bar bolt?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
Should be simple enough but thought I'd check the brain trust. This is from a parts car and it came like this (see pics below). I soaked it with penetrating oil and gave it a couple wraps with a hammer and punch but it didn't budge. I had previously purchased another engine bar on which someone had drilled out a seized bolt and they rounded out the hole significantly. So I'm thinking a hot wrench followed by hammer and punch, but wonder if heating the bar that much could weaken it??

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
Heat will not hurt it, heat the outer side and pound with the hammer and punch, safety glasses are a must.
First cut the bolt flush so it can’t mushroom out.
doug_b_928
Good to know, thanks!
theer
Also, try soaking the whole thing in ATF for a few hours/overnight. Works miracles.
UROpartsman
If you have a welder, find a hex nut that barely fits over the stub (drill out a few threads using a vise and drill press if you have to). Position the nut over/around the stub, and fill the inside of the nut with weld, welding the nut to the stud. Let cool fully, and then twist out your DIY "bolt" with a wrench. The heat from welding loosens the corrosion between the parts, and the nut gives you something substantial to grab on to.
burton73
Drill a hole and use an easy out.

Heat up the bracket area with a torch ( not the broken bolt) ( so it expands from the heat) before you put the big pressure on the easy out.

It should come out. Like all things it make take a couple of try's

Bob B

burton73
And what URO man said. It can work as well if you have a welder

Bob B
UROpartsman
EZ Out usually works too, but it's riskier than welding and takes longer. Drilling a hole in the stud can be a pain, and there's a chance the EZ Out could break and then you're left with a hole in the stud with a piece of EZ Out stuck in it. At that point there's not much meat left for trying the weld method, and much cussing ensues...

If the weld method fails, you can still go the EZ Out route and now you have a nicely annealed stud (after the heat from welding) to make drilling easier.
doug_b_928
Thanks, guys. All good ideas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.