Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this notch in the muffler heat shield original?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
This came from a 74. My car is a 73 and it came missing the heat shield. I was assuming the cut on the corner was done by a PO but then saw a pic somewhere of another one that appeared to be cut the same. Did these come this way from the factory or were some modified to accommodate a particular type of aftermarket muffler?

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
No, cut to fit after market exhaust.
doug_b_928
Guess I'll add that to the already long list of metal work remaining smile.gif
bbrock
Damn! I have a cutout that looks EXACTLY like that on mine but I didn't notice it until AFTER I sprayed tinted bed liner. It's been pissing me off and seeing yours looking just like it gave me a moment of hope that it was supposed to be there. headbang.gif
914werke
Inncorrect. That is oe.
doug_b_928
Hmmmm.... Brent, there’s still hope for us that there’s something we don’t have to fix!
IronHillRestorations
It's factory. I've seen that before
dr914@autoatlanta.com
here is one shown in its native habitat:Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
The shield on my 73' 2.0 does not have that notch.
bbrock
I just pulled my rusty original out of the scrap pile to take a look. No notch.

Click to view attachment

And here's what the shield from the donor piece looks like.

Click to view attachment

Anyone know which years got the notch? Like Doug, my car is a 73 but I think the donor was a 74.

I'm glad you brought this up because it has been bugging the stromberg.gif out of me. Thought I might have to sell the car. rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
Neither of my two '70 cars has the notch in the shield ...
idea.gif
rhodyguy
Is that a monza style exhaust in George's picture? Perhaps it's an issue with 1.7/1.8 HEs and aftermarket exhausts requiring the notch.
mgphoto
Notch required because of aftermarket Brusch style exhaust, like radios, installed by the dealer made it oe.
Helped a friend weld in new trunk floor, installed the original heat shield and he had to cut it to install the aftermarket exhaust.
doug_b_928
Bent, because it appears to be ‘dealer oe’, will you leave your notch or splice in a piece from your original?
bbrock
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Nov 4 2018, 04:34 PM) *

Bent, because it appears to be ‘dealer oe’, will you leave your notch or splice in a piece from your original?

I'd have left mine regardless because I've already sprayed the undercarriage (including the shield) with its final coating. It wouldn't be worth messing that up. Knowing that it is dealer OE helps and the fact that I have a Bursch exhaust that will be going on the car makes it a no-brainer. Sounds like I would have needed that notch regardless. I'm thinking I'll save my original (or at least that corner) just in case some day I decide to fix it.
Chris914n6
my 75 has that notch on the pass side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.