Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cap and rotor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
milwlandrover
I went to my local Napa store to buy a cap and rotor. I bought the one they found on the computer and it was not in stock so they said they would call when it came in. (3) days later I stopped in when they didn't call and they said it was in so I took it home. WRONG the rotor was twice as big and the cap didn't fit either. Took it back and they re-ordered and said it would be in the next day. I went the next day and they said it was not in but they would call me. A week later I stopped in and they said they could not find my order but they found the parts. I took them home. WRONG AGAIN. So I thought I would order through Pelican Parts (who I should have called in the first place, but... Now I am ordering the part for a 914-4 1971 1.7L and the picture looks different then what I have so I am nervous. Click to view attachment
mobymutt
I had similar troubles. I didn't realize my car had a non-stock distributor. First thing to do is to find the part number on the distributor body that you have.
bbrock
The Pelican part you show has a rev limiter which is what I would want and is the correct rotor. Should work fine.
milwlandrover
but will it fit my distributor?
bbrock
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Nov 2 2018, 07:57 AM) *

but will it fit my distributor?

If it is a stock dizzy, it should. Either style works, but the original rotors had the rev limiter. There was a recent thread on them.
milwlandrover
I have to check tonight if I have a stock distributor. It looks like I may not and that is why Napa got the wrong parts twice. he may have gotten the correct parts for a stock distributor.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
for stock 914 fuel injection ask for Bosch 03010 and 04030
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Nov 2 2018, 06:01 AM) *

I went to my local Napa store to buy a cap and rotor. I bought the one they found on the computer and it was not in stock so they said they would call when it came in. (3) days later I stopped in when they didn't call and they said it was in so I took it home. WRONG the rotor was twice as big and the cap didn't fit either. Took it back and they re-ordered and said it would be in the next day. I went the next day and they said it was not in but they would call me. A week later I stopped in and they said they could not find my order but they found the parts. I took them home. WRONG AGAIN. So I thought I would order through Pelican Parts (who I should have called in the first place, but... Now I am ordering the part for a 914-4 1971 1.7L and the picture looks different then what I have so I am nervous. Click to view attachment
milwlandrover
I have no doubt those are the correct parts for a stock distributor but if I have (as some have suggested) I have a non-stock distributor they would not necessarily fit... correct?
milwlandrover
I have no doubt those are the correct parts for a stock distributor but if I have (as some have suggested) I have a non-stock distributor they would not necessarily fit... correct?
brant
Is your car still running stock Djet?

or is your car now carb'd?

if stock FI, there really are not many optional distributors you could even have. I think you would know if you had a 123 distributor that you had put on. Otherwise it almost has to be a stock distributor

if you have carbs, there are lots of optional distributors you could have on the car. a stock one, a 009, an 050, etc.... etc...

milwlandrover
I am still fuel injected, but my distributor rotor is completely different then the rev limited one that is stock. if you look at the pictures they look different. Which lets me to believe it is a non stock distributor. The car was purchased this summer and the previous owner did some crazy stuff. Some good some bad. The worst part is when I try to replace things I don't know what
brant
rev rotors look different than non rev rotors
I didn't look at your pics

but a stock Fuel injection distributor also houses the fuel injection trigger points. If your car is fuel injected and able to run.... then it must be either a stock distributor or a 123 distributor.

the 123 distributors have only been on the market for 3 or so years.
so unless a previous owner installed a 123 within about the last 3 years.... you have to have a stock distributor.

how long have you had your car?
does it run on stock FI?
then you have a stock distributor

ask someone reading this thread to snap a picture of a non rev limiting stock rotor.
bet it looks just like yours.

milwlandrover
It is still fuel injected and it was running quite will (I did 300 miles last weeks end). It started a little hard (especially when it was cold - but not below 40 degrees) so I changed the plugs and wires. I wanted to also change the cap and rotor and new points as long as I was in there and before I put it away for winter. The rotor I took out was totally different then the ones ordered by Napa and the one that Pelican says is the stock rotor looks even more different.
milwlandrover
It is still fuel injected and it was running quite will (I did 300 miles last weeks end). It started a little hard (especially when it was cold - but not below 40 degrees) so I changed the plugs and wires. I wanted to also change the cap and rotor and new points as long as I was in there and before I put it away for winter. The rotor I took out was totally different then the ones ordered by Napa and the one that Pelican says is the stock rotor looks even more different.
milwlandrover
I just searched the part number for the Napa rotor that I just got and it looks like the original but doesn't fit. it says it is NOT REV LIMITED. So, I figure the previous owner installed a distributor for a carbureted car on my fuel injected car. Does that make sense or would the car not even run with the wrong distributor?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
would not run, needs to have trigger points in the base of the distributor and all trigger point 311 and 914s have the same rotor, 311s have shorter distributor caps but they all fit

Just get the two part numbers I stated and you will be all set

quote name='milwlandrover' date='Nov 2 2018, 09:31 AM' post='2662393']
I just searched the part number for the Napa rotor that I just got and it looks like the original but doesn't fit. it says it is NOT REV LIMITED. So, I figure the previous owner installed a distributor for a carbureted car on my fuel injected car. Does that make sense or would the car not even run with the wrong distributor?
[/quote]
milwlandrover
I'm thinking maybe I should just replace the distributor with the correct one and the correct cap and rotor and be sure everything is cool. What are your thoughts.
bbrock
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Nov 2 2018, 10:31 AM) *

At least on DJet FI, the distributor has trigger points at the base for the injectors and carburetor injectors won't work. I've never owned or worked on Ljet FI so don't know if it is the same.

From the pictures you posted, the rotors I would get from my FLAP for the stock distributor looked like your NAPA pic and they worked fine except didn't have the rev limiter. Either style from the pics you posted will work, but different rotors for different dizzies come in the same style. Just think of those styles as basic vs. deluxe.
My guess is the Pelican rotor will work for you and is better IMO than the non-rev limiting rotor.
brant
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Nov 2 2018, 10:38 AM) *

I'm thinking maybe I should just replace the distributor with the correct one and the correct cap and rotor and be sure everything is cool. What are your thoughts.

if your car runs
then you already have the correct distributor

pull the part number and verify if you want
but I bet that if you order parts from Pelican everything will be fine
brant

milwlandrover
where can I find the part number on the distributor I have. Can I see it on the distributor on the car?
brant
I would recommend you not take the distributor out.

its not that hard.
but also can be reinstalled incorrectly and effect timing
definitely will have to be re-timed at a minimum if you pull it

best not to pull it
the part number is on the body of the distributor
google images might help with an example.
mobymutt
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Nov 2 2018, 04:22 PM) *

where can I find the part number on the distributor I have. Can I see it on the distributor on the car?

I just stuck a phone down beside the distributor and took random pictures until I could see the part number. No need to remove it.
bbrock
A super simple thing to do without pulling the dizzy is to look for the connector for the trigger points. If it has a harness plugged into a connector like the black socket at the top of the dizzy in this pic, then it is a stock dizzy. Carb dizzies won't have that connector. Note also this dizzy is fitted with a non-rev limiting rotor like what you have now.

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.