Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Assembly with No Power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Highland
Wondering if there's any way to determine the headlight up and down positions without applying power.

I'm in the process of installing the headlight assembly but not yet have any electrical power.
John
I'm sure if you study the wiring of the motors, you will find the position with a multi-meter.

The easiest way would be to apply temporary power and let the motor stop per design. I always found that it took a few cycles to position the output shaft in order to properly index the linkage arms on the splines.

Be careful when working around those motors if they have any power applied. They have tremendous torque.

Good luck.
jmitro
have you tried the adjustment knob on top of the assembly? that will cycle the device through its motion so you can determine the natural open and closed positions. No power needed.
76-914
30 turns clockwise for full up or full down as viewed from the cabin. beerchug.gif
Highland
Thanks for the input. Problem is I don't know what position to start counting 30 turns.

With my luck when I power up my lights will home at half open. Not a big deal, it would just be cool to get them close now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Highland @ Nov 2 2018, 11:27 AM) *

Thanks for the input. Problem is I don't know what position to start counting 30 turns.
With my luck when I power up my lights will home at half open. Not a big deal, it would just be cool to get them close now.

Leave the lever arms detached until you have power. Same goes for the bolt/nut that hold the "stop" since the stop actually isn't to stop the motor at all!

As mentioned above, once you have power, cycle the motors a few times (Again, with the lever detached and no stop bolt).

Then, with the lights on, pull the relay to the motor, then attach the lever and set the "stop" (which is only used to prevent the light from wiggling when open, *not* to stop the motor).

But most importantly, whatever you do, keep your fingers away from the lever when you have power to the motor, only work on the lever with the relay removed.

That motor has enough torque to strip the flesh right off your fingers!
smash.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Highland @ Nov 2 2018, 11:27 AM) *

When the housing reaches the very top or bottom the knob is null for one turn. Place your hand on the bucket while turning the knob. You will feel when the bucket ceases to move. At that point turning the knob has no noticeable effect for one complete turn. Try it; you'll see. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.