Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assistance with refurbishing steering column
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
It's snowing here today so thus begins my thinking of winter projects for my restoration. Everything worked fine on the steering rack but while I have it out I thought I should see what it needs. I know nothing about this and am not sure how to take it apart, or whether that's even wise. I have a rather beaten up one from a 74 parts car and one thing I do see is that a copper contact on mine is broken but looks good on the parts piece, so I should probably transfer that over. Any advice on what to do and how to go about doing it is welcome. I'd also like to improve the appearance where the black paint is missing. Here are some pics of what I'm working with.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Broken copper contact thingy

Click to view attachment

Intact copper contact thingy from a 74

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Just get a new turn signal switch. Meyle makes one for about $25 shipped depending on where you get it. A few NOS German ones exist but $$$.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
sometimes the Meyle have pins that are two small to fit into the plug securely, the empi or kmm brands are a better fit

also the new replacements only have one copper finger anyway, so you can probably still use your original switch, just a rubbing finger to pick up the horn contact

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 2 2018, 02:08 PM) *

Just get a new turn signal switch. Meyle makes one for about $25 shipped depending on where you get it. A few NOS German ones exist but $$$.
doug_b_928
Thanks guys. I’ll search for the switches.
Valy
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Nov 2 2018, 03:05 PM) *

Thanks guys. I’ll search for the switches.

The original switches work a bit smoother than the new ones.
Why don't you just use the better switch from the parts car?
doug_b_928
Yeah, figured I’ll see if I can live with a touched up version and if not then I can get a new one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.