Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's Official... Punkins Dead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Yuppers, the 1.7 I was countin on for Punkins reserection is tits up too dry.gif Spent a few hours on it today. Compression is only 90 in 2 and below 90 in the others. #2 cylinder creates a hissing noise while cranking and the compression gets up to 80. Feels like air escaping from the exhaust valve area. Checked lifter adjustment but that wasn't it.

Oh well. Gotta start saving for a Jake engine or Jakes rebuild engine kit.

Or, maybe someone will feel sorry for me & a good running 2.0 will mysteriously appear..... maybe slap.gif

........b
Seagrave
Sorry to hear it Bruce. Hope that an organ transplant arrives soon.
Joe Bob
Time for a sixer transplant.... cool_shades.gif
ChrisReale
Bummer Bwooth. Your a nice guy though, so your luck is bound to change beerchug.gif
redshift
Don't listen to Chris! I am a damned nice guy! MEANS NOTHING!

mad.gif

sad.gif

M
DNHunt
Man Bruce I'm sorry to hear that. I'd let you use mine but, it's in my car right now and the new engine from Jake is still in boxes. Maybe this fall.

Dave
Bruce Allert
Everyones sympathy is greatly appreciated and I'm sure there's empathy too ( maybe it's all empathy) since all 4 of you have been in the same boat wavey.gif

Now I'm gonna go show our house on the lake with hopes this guy will buy it. Then I can send Punkin to Renegade and have them do a V8 beer.gif

Lake House

......b
Bruce Allert
Dave, I thought you had Jake's engine all together, in the car & running/driving. Is this a 2nd one or are you still working on the first?

.........b
SLITS
How 'bout a cheap refresh....rings & head job...you'll have a runner to toodle around with till you break the bank on a Raby.............
Bruce Allert
I love cheap! What's that, a couple thousand? I have no idea what it would take to refresh the 2.0 much less the 1.7.....

........b
redshift
Head work... and re-ring... well under $2k... more like around $1k and some change. Labor included..

smile.gif

You know I wish I had a brand new one for ya Bruce..

M
Dave-O
Hey bruce,
Sorry to hear that your luck wasn't as good as mine. My plans incluce a Raby 2316 kit w/ SDS...too bad I won't be out of school for another 3 years. headbang.gif I sure hope the "little 1.7 that could" holds out that long.

Best of luck buddy beerchug.gif ,

SLITS
QUOTE (Bruce Allert @ Jun 18 2005, 07:31 AM)
I love cheap!  What's that, a couple thousand?  I have no idea what it would take to refresh the 2.0 much less the 1.7.....

........b

Bottle brush for honing cylinders...maybe $30.00
Set of Standard Rings...what....$60.00
Valve Grind***......say...$200 (not sure, would have to check)
Add a "C" note for misc gaskets

That's my evaluation..............

***RIMCO Pricing....HEADWORK

411 / 914, 356 / 912
Surface (includes grinding fin 356 / 912) - Pair............................... $50.00/$60.00
Open for Large Cylinders (411 / 914) - Pair.................................... $ 60.00
Valve Guides Installed (411 / 914) - Each....................................... $ 10.00
Valve Guides Installed (includes guides) -Each............................... $ 10.00
Seats Finished (3 angle) - Each...................................................... $ 10.00
Bead Blast - Each.......................................................................... $ 20.00
Large Valve Seats Installed (411 / 914) (356 / 912) - Each................ $30.00/$35.00
*Complete reconditioning available, Price depends on type of valves used.
Surface - each............................................................................... $ 20.00
Open for Larger Cylinders - Each.................................................. $ 25.00
Valve Guides (includes guides) - Each............................................. $ 12.00
Finish Seats (3 angle) - Each......................................................... $ 10.00
Recondition Complete (no new valves) - Each.................................. $105

redshift
oh my god ron wants you to do it yourself..

m
tat2dphreak
I'm sorry to hear this Bruce... you could do the cheap refresh Ron is talking about.... that will buy you some time, if nothing else, to save for a kit or engine from Raby...

you can look at aircooled.net or Raby's store to see what prices on the rings and gaskets and bearings too

best of luck sad.gif
Bruce Allert
I'm gonna start checkin the portland area for Gud engine rebuilders for the 2.0. I can't see spending all that money on parts & try doin' it myself then have it blow up cuz I fuched it somewhere along the way. I even have Jake's video but, I dunno, I could still fuch up somewhere...
then I'd be right back here.

shitdamhell bs.gif

..........b beerchug.gif
Porsche Rescue
Bruce, did I miss something? Isn't the noise from the 2.0 from a rod? If so, the bottom has to be done and the above estimates won't hold.
There is a shop on 82nd that does 914 work and I'm told he is good and not too pricey. Can't remember the name. I think Craig knows.
redshift
Craig must use that cheap migrant Canadian labor.. his deals are always great ones..

smile.gif

M
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jun 18 2005, 09:51 PM)
Bruce, did I miss something? Isn't the noise from the 2.0 from a rod? If so, the bottom has to be done and the above estimates won't hold.
There is a shop on 82nd that does 914 work and I'm told he is good and not too pricey. Can't remember the name. I think Craig knows.

Jim, I was yap'n about this 1.7 I was desparatly trying to make run. Finding compression bad & such. I'd rather stick money into the 2.0 than the 1.7.

I'll bug Craig for the name & check'm out. Yes, the 2.0 is makin bad noises!

...........b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.