Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FAT cooling system for type IV at Hershey this year
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldog9
At Hershey this year, I bought a few parts from someone who also had a complete FAT cooling system for the Type IV. If youre on the list shoot me a PM.

SHOULD have listened to my gut and bought it..... Thanks!
Mark Henry
The old FAT shroud used the 911 fan, since it did so without mods to the T4 case it sits too high to fit in a bug with a deck lid. Or at least not without stand-offs.
I'm certain it will sit too high for the 914 engine lid.
OK for buggies, but sucks for most everything else.

A better 911 fan shroud for T4 is the Sharpbuilt. But it requires cutting the breather chimney off of the T4 case, this allows mounting the fan about 2" lower and retains the stock cooler location

I've done many T4 conversions over the years. stock cooling shroud in bug (first and only because it's a hack), FAT (2-3), Sharpbuilt (at least 8), Joe Cali, OPP and a dozen or more DTM's. In bugs, bus, T3 and 356 kit cars.

Joe Cali, OPP and DTM uses the T1 fan. I'm building a DTM engine for a customer right now.
My '67 bug has a all metal hybrid Stock/Joe Cali/DTM combo that I made.
Mark Henry
Your gut was right, it told you not to buy the FAT shroud. shades.gif
Bulldog9
This is for a 912E

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 4 2018, 03:38 PM) *

The old FAT shroud used the 911 fan, since it did so without mods to the T4 case it sits too high to fit in a bug with a deck lid. Or at least not without stand-offs.

A better 911 fan shroud for T4 is the Sharpbuilt. But it requires cutting the breather chimney off of the T4 case, this allows mounting the fan about 2" lower and retains the stock cooler location

I've done many T4 conversions over the years. stock cooling shroud in bug (first and only because it's a hack), FAT (2-3), Sharpbuilt (at least 8), Joe Cali, OPP and a dozen or more DTM's. In bugs, bus, T3 and 356 kit cars.

Joe Cali, OPP and DTM uses the T1 fan. I'm building a DTM engine for a customer right now.

IronHillRestorations
Probably even less room in a 912E
maf914

Mark, Which system would you say performs the best, or is it relative to the application? I've seen comments from a well known engine builder that the 911 styles don't cool all cylinders equally and that the Joe Cali and DTM are the best.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(maf914 @ Nov 5 2018, 08:25 AM) *

Mark, Which system would you say performs the best, or is it relative to the application? I've seen comments from a well known engine builder that the 911 styles don't cool all cylinders equally and that the Joe Cali and DTM are the best.

DTM, plus it's the easiest to install. Cali is the cheapest, to me works as good, but it's DIY work intensive.
911 fan it's a case of "too much of a good thing" it pushes so much air it's uneven and the air passes through too quickly. The air also has issue turing 180* to cool #4
The 911 fan is just bling on a T4, also fan assemblies used to be fairly cheap, but that's no longer the case.
GregAmy
If I were of the mindset to change the cooling, I'd go with Tangerine's horizontal setup:

http://www.tangerineracing.com/horizontalcooling.htm

Mark Henry
Really it's a 912, the '76 had a T4 engine, so the cheapest fan/shroud is the stock T4.
Put your money in the engine...not on it.
mepstein
It usually makes sense to increase the oil cooling if the engine is running hot. Also make sure all the air cooling systems are working as well as possible.
rhodyguy
I think the consistent alt bracket/arm failure Steve has experienced has something to do with the upright shroud.
ottox914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 5 2018, 08:56 AM) *

If I were of the mindset to change the cooling, I'd go with Tangerine's horizontal setup:

http://www.tangerineracing.com/horizontalcooling.htm

When I had the turbo motor I had happy dreams of this set up on my motor. Now that it’s a strong 2056 that fan is over kill for me.
72914wrx

Mark do you have Joe’s number or web site . I’m building a 912 outlaw and wanted to use a 911 with a type 4 motor.
72914wrx
Oops 911 fan with a type 4 motor .
Mark Henry
QUOTE(72914wrx @ Nov 5 2018, 03:37 PM) *

Mark do you have Joe’s number or web site . I’m building a 912 outlaw and wanted to use a 911 with a type 4 motor.

No, but here's the manual. The Joe Cali is like the DTM, it uses the T1 alternator and fan.
The generator stand and pulley are the hardest bits to make, T4 store does sell them separately.

I've used/installed both types and for my'67 bug, which has a $20K+ engine in it, my choice is a T1 fan...and I had a 911 fan on the shelf.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Type-4-Uprigh...sion-manual.htm
Mark Henry

Had to think about it but here's Joe's site, he's also a regular on thesamba, username nexgen.

http://www.nextgen-usa.com/
Bulldog9
Yeah the issue has more to do with the lower alternator bracket continuing to break. I thought I had to fix with the last go-round when I added a mounting plate between the bracket in fan housing. But in general because my pulleys are so messed up it eats fan belts at the rate of 1 per thousand miles. I have a new fan shroud with a lower bracket that I'm planning to install, but that still leaves me with my pulley issue and I've been unsuccessful for almost 4 years trying to find one.

I'm very familiar with Tangerine racing I have Chris's full exhaust system and cable throttle system and love both.

I would be able to retain all of the stock alternator wiring, but would have to have a full set of tins made to fit the engine compartment.

The fat system I saw was complete with tins if I remember correctly and reasonably priced.

thanks for all the helpful feedback I'll figure it out. hope to have it done before next spring so I can actually drive and enjoy the car and not be worried.

Other than this, the rebuild has been completely successful and the car is sweet.
72914wrx
So does anyone have any luck with the 911 fan on a t4 motor ? If so what did you do to make it work correctly?
Bulldog9
QUOTE(72914wrx @ Nov 5 2018, 07:24 PM) *

So does anyone have any luck with the 911 fan on a t4 motor ? If so what did you do to make it work correctly?

Back when I was doing research on this in the past, due to the 'over-cooling' of the 911 fan, it was recommended to go with a 5 blade fan. Kind of unobtanium, but I'm looking into it.
veltror
In Europe lots of Type 4 tuners have good results with the 911 fan,

Orratech with a horizontal design

https://www.typ4shop.de/product_info.php?in...4-Geblaese.html

and the really good Klaus designed systems

https://klaus-motoren.com/luftkuhlung/

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.