Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash refurb question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trawler
Hi I just bought a Dashboard retrim set and it hasn't got here yet.
My question is. How do the knobs come off and the controls fall back loose, the chrome ring trim that is snug to the basket weave vinyl? Flat screwdriver down the back tabs? not sure.
Thanks in advance.
IPB ImageIPB Image
iankarr
The knob bezels just unscrew. They have two indentations made for a removal tool kinda like the pic below. But you can use a fine needle nose or snap ring pliers, if the tips are small enough.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Nov 4 2018, 07:03 PM) *

The knob bezels just unscrew. They have two indentations made for a removal tool kinda like the pic below. But you can use a fine needle nose or snap ring pliers, if the tips are small enough.

Click to view attachment

Where can I get that tool and what is it called? Thanks!

@cuddy_k

Dave_Darling
I just use needle-nose pliers, as Bruce said. Open them up far enough so the ends fit in the notches in the "escutcheon" (that part that holds the switch onto the dash). You can start unscrewing it that way, and pretty quickly get to the point where you can unscrew it just with finger pressure.

--DD
mepstein
QUOTE(cary @ Nov 4 2018, 08:37 PM) *

Thanks. Ordered. I hate using needle nose pliers. If the part is tight, they slip and scratch it up.
Retroracer
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 4 2018, 06:15 PM) *

I just use needle-nose pliers, as Bruce said. Open them up far enough so the ends fit in the notches in the "escutcheon" (that part that holds the switch onto the dash). You can start unscrewing it that way, and pretty quickly get to the point where you can unscrew it just with finger pressure.

--DD

Dave - I had to look up "escutcheon". I figured you were just making up words. I stand in awe of the depth and breadth of your vocabulary. ;-)

- Tony
Bruce @ 914 Rubber.com
Those switches where the knob and shaft remove together can be removed using a dime or penny held by vise grips. The headlight switch needs a tool. I have removed them by reaching behind the dash and twisting the switch to loosen it from the estucheon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.