Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT. Facebook Dumped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I joined Facebook to enjoy and keep up with friends and family and my 914 family.
Because of all the political crap that's been posted ithere n the last year , I just turn Facebook off and deleted the icon from my computer. Maybe you win but in the end I win. Rant is over now let's get back to teeners piratenanner.gif

mobymutt
Exactly. It's good for keeping up with friends and family, and good for organizing events, but there's just way too much garbage on it now. I haven't been brave enough to delete it yet, but I'm getting there.

EDIT: And why do the prices for parts on the facebook page usually seem way higher than on this site??
RickS
Coming from 25 years in IT, always thought there was too much potential to have your personal info stolen as well as your friends and used for nefarious purposes or against you. Just watched this week a two hour special on Facebook, and not only were my worst fears confirmed, but it is used and abused for far worse, think Russians sewing dissection in Ukraine and genocide based on lies in Myanmar as well as several others. Now sign into other apps using Facebook is also allowing security holes. Facebook? Not now and not ever.
Unobtanium-inc
I wasn't ready to delete it altogether but it was getting overwhelming, so I deleted it from my phone, so now I check it a couple of times a day from my computer but it isn't hitting me in real time. It was a refreshing change.
mepstein
Never had an acct, never will but I do go on the site to check my motorcycle build since the builder posts on facebook.
gandalf_025
Never had an account and never will.... I’m amazed at the stupidity people
post on places Like that... Seen people lose their jobs and get reprimanded
over crap that should never be posted anywhere...
Way too much sharing of too many details...
If it is used for a business, may have some benefits..
oakdalecurtis
I found a way to cut my Christmas gift list in half. I started talking politics on Facebook! chair.gif
Blue6
“Never had an account and never will”, huh idea.gif How will you guys know when I go shopping, or what I buy when shopping? How will you know when I brush my teeth, or go to the bathroom? Your really missing out on important moments in people’s lives. av-943.gif
Mikey914
I'm most irritated by the increase of phone calls and if you try to check a message it want's to install messenger.

whitetwinturbo
..........who decided it's a good idea to put all the nut cases in power to reach each other and get even crazier?
914_teener
It.s hard to know what has been lost when one lives life like a commodity.

falcor75
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 5 2018, 12:52 AM) *

. Rant is over now let's get back to teeners piratenanner.gif

So why not post this in the sandbox where it belongs from the start.... WTF.gif
saigon71
Agree with all the above comments about Facebook.

I recently tried to create a page for my business. Facebook would not allow me to have a business page without a personal page. That was enough to keep me away.

While I recognize the utility in it, I stay off for numerous reasons. The whole facebook setup seems a little like "big brother" to me...and people are voluntarily signing up.

I like my simple, unconnected life. biggrin.gif

rhodyguy
What I find interesting on the 914 related FB pages are people selling parts with no, 0, mention of their location. I think the high priced items (that are fairly common place) are in areas outside of North America. I'm shocked by the personal material people share on FB. Crying into a pillow is about as effective as sharing woes.
Chi-town
I use FB to keep in touch with out of state relatives and friends. 99% of them never post anything political or stupid (same thing?) and I have no personal data on there not even my first name so my ad data is useless to anyone.

Instagram is starting to slip down the same slope as FB but I think as a whole social media is loosing it's grip and traffic is way down and big advertisers like GM and Coke are pulling out because there is no decent measurable return on investment.
914Sixer
What so hard about calling your friends and relatives? I can talk faster than I type.
mepstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 5 2018, 09:46 AM) *

What so hard about calling your friends and relatives? I can talk faster than I type.

Upload one pic, share with 10, 100, 100, ect. I get it. But it doesn't do anything for me so I don't have it. I did tell my kids early on not to post anything they wouldn't be proud to show their grandmothers, not because their grandmothers are online but because that's a good standard for a future employer or school application, ect.
HerdofCrickets
Facebook was great 10 years ago in college to see all the crazy pictures from weekend parties... Once my grandparents joined it wasn't quite the same, lol
Optimusglen
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that most of those who have posted in this thread are men who are middle aged and above. (self included)

IPB Image

Facebook certainly has MANY faults, don't misunderstand me. And I agree with just about everything here, especially getting sick of all the political crap. (I mean, who has EVER changed their mind on something in politics based off an ad?) But really it's a cultural thing. Culture changes over time, doesn't mean you need to, in fact it's better to have some strongholds into the way things used to be.

Remember when people first started using car forums? The guys who had in-person car clubs were not a fan of the idea of typing all of these things and posting them on a website. But with that new method came options to help others that hadn't existed before. Now I can search and read through a project that was done years and years ago. So that's +1 for car forums.

Will there be a lasting benefit for Facebook? I think it's really to soon to tell, one thing for sure is that there will always be people resisting cultural change.
Mark Henry
Friends and family once a week, that's about it.

I did find a nephew, who was adopted out by a chicky my brother knocked up in 1970, with FB last spring.
My niece and the nephew had their DNA done and it showed up as first cousins. I only had his name, but it didn't take long on FB to find him.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 5 2018, 08:23 AM) *

I did find a nephew, who was adopted out by a chicky my brother knocked up in 1970, with FB last spring.
My niece and the nephew had their DNA done and it showed up as first cousins. I only had his name, but it didn't take long on FB to find him.

Mark, did you ever hear about the easiest way to find all your relatives and learn about you family geneology?
Just win the Lottery, they will all come to you! grouphug.gif
euro911
laugh.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Nov 5 2018, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 5 2018, 08:23 AM) *

Mark, did you ever hear about the easiest way to find all your relatives and learn about you family geneology?
Just win the Lottery, they will all come to you! grouphug.gif

You only have to be perceived as wealthy for that. laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

Total surprise he's 50, wife, two almost 20yr/old daughters, doing well for himself, just retired hospital IT manager, already has a new job and now he has 2 new (half) brothers,
He wasn't looking, just like my niece, they both got a genealogy/DNA test gift for last Christmas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.