Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Different air filter setup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
After tearing off the air filters to check them for the first timer since I bought this car, I discover something that completely shocked me.....

The air Filters are "Filtron", and they are a sealed, 1 piece unit (not a top, a bottom, and the filter). Then I discover that the filters have no gauze, no paper, nada... just a series of heavy wire mesh screens...... So I'm weirded out enough when I discover a sanndstorm would completely ruin my engine.

Secondly...... the carbs are "Solex"...... so they have 5 boltholes for the filter, not 1 like a Weber or a Delortto.

The question...... I need a K&N air filter setup for dual Solex Carbs, with 5 boltholes.... can anyone help me out??? Part #'s? Suggestions? Anything????

Oh... sorry for the pic quality, I pulled the air filter off at the Auto parts store, and all I had was my cameraphone. The left filter assembly is off...

Help.. confused24.gif
JWest
Look for a K&N setup for a 356 - Solex 40s is what they used.
ninefourteener
Hmm..interesting thought. Why would the previous owner use this particulatr setup? Now that I have started digging into it, I haven't ever seen this setup used on a teener before.

Is (was) there any advantages to this? Disadvantages?

Or is it pretty much the same as a dual Weber setup?

I mean, the car runs great, I just don't like having sauch open filters on the carbs, you know?
JWest
Pretty much the same as Webers.

The wire mesh filters are probably original 356 units. You should be able to convert to K&N - check with Pelican or other places that carry 356 parts.
ninefourteener
Thanks... that helps a lot.... I would have never thought to ask for 356 parts.

Cheers
beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
Crazy. I havent seen Solex's on a street car in quite some time. We use them on the 1.8 race engines. They outflow the Webers.

B
ninefourteener
One of the reasons I chose this car is because I because the previous owner had reciepts for almost $4500 in the engine rebuild... less than 2K before I bought the car.

Don't remember anything about carbs on the reciept though.

Well....... You were right..... I found a K&N frilter setup on ebay for a 356 with Solex Carbs that "look" like mine.

Only a measly $425 for 2 air filters..........

ar15.gif gunner.gif pissoff.gif bs.gif

I remember seeing something a long time ago...... ACCEL made a "pre-filter" filter....... looked kinda like a sponge that wrapped around the air filter...... I think that would work, and at least give me piece of mind.....
JWest
Check a VW/sandrail/dune buggy place for those pre-filters. "Outerwears" name comes to mind.
seanery
what about those filters that Chris Campbell is using on his -6?
They can't be THAT expensive can they?
campbellcj
There might be ITG's that would fit. Check here -

http://www.coastfab.com/itgairfilters.html
ninefourteener
I called Summit Racing..... Accel doesn't make those "pre-filters" anymore..... but K&N makes them now for about $20 a piece..... I can deal with that.

Like I said..... I did a search on 356 parts, and the first item that popped up was the filters I needed....... for $425.

No way.... I'll stick with other alternatives--LOL
seanery
ninefourteener:

Is this your setup?

filters
Carbs

IPB Image
IPB Image

If so, those prices would almost get you a complete brand new weber setup from CB.
JWest
If it was me I would probably buy some air cleaners for Webers (like from CB Performance) and make an adapter plate to make them work with the Solexes.

As for prefilters, how about these?
http://www.outerwearsracing.com/dune_filter.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.