Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triad Performance and HEs ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
Seems I recall that Triad (performance?) mufflers made for the /4 could be used on any size of the /4 engine, and didn't matter whether it was 1.7/1.8/2.0. However iirc they'd HAVE to be used with a set of 2.0L Heat Exchangers. Can someone confirm? I have access to one that was being used on a 1.7L car - but I'd like to use it on my 2.0L/2056. Anybody know if it'll work with the proper HEs ( I do have rusty 2.0 & 1.7/1.8 HEs laying around).

Also - is there any difference in the "Performance" model or are they all the same? TIA.
914_teener
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 5 2018, 08:50 PM) *

Seems I recall that Triad (performance?) mufflers made for the /4 could be used on any size of the /4 engine, and didn't matter whether it was 1.7/1.8/2.0. However iirc they'd HAVE to be used with a set of 2.0L Heat Exchangers. Can someone confirm? I have access to one that was being used on a 1.7L car - but I'd like to use it on my 2.0L/2056. Anybody know if it'll work with the proper HEs ( I do have rusty 2.0 & 1.7/1.8 HEs laying around).

Also - is there any difference in the "Performance" model or are they all the same? TIA.

You can use the 1.7 HE,s with the 1.7 muffler bracket and the 1.7 Triad on your 2.0 engine.

Talk to Dave at Triad about it the different styles.
Literati914
Thanks. I hate to bother a vendor regarding a second hand item.. however I can not find much info on their website. No indication of the various offerings, etc.

Do you suppose "performance muffler" = "track unit" or "90 dB unit" ? confused24.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 6 2018, 12:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 5 2018, 08:50 PM) *

You can use the 1.7 HE,s with the 1.7 muffler bracket and the 1.7 Triad on your 2.0 engine.

Talk to Dave at Triad about it the different styles.

He makes the muffler with correct flanges for either the 2.0 or the 1.7/1.8 HE.

I have a 2.0 motor from '75 . When I bought my car the original HE were horrible and it had a Monza muffler. I could not find a nice set of 2.0 HE I could afford at the time but there was a super nice almost new set of 1.7 I was able to buy for like $250 at the time. SO I have a Triad exhaust on my car with the 1.7 muffler rather than the 2.0, and maybe someday I will sell this set up and get a full 2.0 set up, but then again why? - either way, - you can put either on your car but the flanges are different so the muffler and HE must match and you will need the specific muffler hanger to go with what you are putting on the car as well.

and you can get different output as well, . I have a dual outlet both go back, but if you have the single outlet valance on left(I modified my valance) the right side outlet will point down not out.

Phil
Literati914
Great info, thanks for the clarification !
914_teener
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 5 2018, 10:21 PM) *

Thanks. I hate to bother a vendor regarding a second hand item.. however I can not find much info on their website. No indication of the various offerings, etc.

Do you suppose "performance muffler" = "track unit" or "90 dB unit" ? confused24.gif

If memory serves.....it is just a matter of the packing of the muffler. I have a street version which is a little quieter than most. It does seem to drone at part load, but I will definitely say the mid range regardless of sound is much better then say a Bursch which is what I had before. My motor is a stock D-jet BTW.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Nov 6 2018, 12:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 5 2018, 10:21 PM) *

If memory serves.....it is just a matter of the packing of the muffler. I have a street version which is a little quieter than most. It does seem to drone at part load, but I will definitely say the mid range regardless of sound is much better then say a Bursch which is what I had before. My motor is a stock D-jet BTW.

mine too is a stock d-jet and I will say its not loud, no drone as well. not sure of dB, I did a study on that and posted right after I got it so a search should pull up a thread with discussion. I did db's a different RPM and speeds. another thing that helps is that my 5th gear is taller so lower rpm and a lot less sound than either a stock muffler or the Monza I got rid of.

PHil
milwlandrover
I just installed a Triad on my '71 1.7L and could not be happier except I didn't get a chance to enjoy it much since winter has already begun to hit Milwaukee. Can't wait for spring. Triad is great to work with and although we have not met he seems like a great guy. I highly recommend working with him.

cheers!
mepstein
Just imagine how your car would run with a really nice muffler like tangerine or whatever Ben whips up. poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.