Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vinyl Dye/Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
There are some old threads on this but new products emerge and the experience base changes, so seems worth revisiting. I have at least one interior bit (the rubber horn pad) that has a bit of sun fade and could benefit from a refresh.

It seems SEM is still the go to product according to people who seem to know what they are doing. VHT has a Vinyl Dye which they say is a true dye rather than a paint. That seems like it would have some advantageous but doesn't appear to have the following of SEM.

Anyone have experience with either of these products? Also wondering about color match. SEM lists three blacks: Gloss, Satin, and Landau. I'm guessing Landau would be the one to use in a black interior 914. Or would it be better to have my local paint shop mix up some PPG vinyl paint to the OEM interior code?

Any wisdom to share?
Dion
Brent, I used the SEM brand on my center seat cushion/console. I used the
Satin at time. Very pleased with it. Make sure to use their prep surfacer for
this task. I also used recently “Rustoleum” brand on Nicks 944 interior just the faded rugs actually. I’m sure wear on the rugs will require a retreat.
Eastwood makes a plastic resurfacer but I think it’s meant for exterior
and is only matte black currently.
sithot
"Joanne" at Surflex - Color Plus can make any color you want. She also produces the best tank paint match for the early 911's.
(570) 686-3158
porschetub
Works great but you clean and clean...you get the idea.
flyer86d
QUOTE(sithot @ Nov 6 2018, 08:22 PM) *

"Joanne" at Surflex - Color Plus can make any color you want. She also produces the best tank paint match for the early 911's.
(570) 686-3158

I’ll second Color Plus. I have used their products and they are second to none. They can match any color. My 83 Targa had the full leather burgundy interior that was badly faded at 5 years old. It must have gotten wet. I used their softener and dye and it looked new.

Charlie
bbrock
I just checked out Color Plus and their Surflex products. That does look like great stuff. I like that it is a water based dye rather than a coating. Unfortunately, the cost doesn't pencil out for this application. If I were recoloring my whole interior, I think that's what I'd use, but not just to do a horn pad and maybe a couple other small bits.

@Dion did you think the SEM black satin matched the rest of your interior well?

PPG claims they can custom match any color too and it has good reviews. I'll check with my shop on price of that.

Keep the suggestions coming! This is very helpful.
Dion
@bbrock , Here is the center pad. I like the sheen.
It’s pretty darn close to dash sheen. This was the SEM brand.
bbrock
That looks nice! I'm not too worried about a perfect match on the horn pad, but none of these products are cheap so I want to make sure I get the right color in case I wind up dying some other stuff. Thanks for sharing the pics. beerchug.gif
Dion
Brent, I might add this center cushion was
Originally a faded brown. So the SEM coated it pretty well.
Good luck with your choices.
bbrock
@Dion Did you use adhesion promoter on your cushion? If so, which one. Looks like the right promoter depends on the type of plastic (olefin based vs other - e.g. pvc, abs, etc.).
Mikey914
I would avoid adding an adhesion promoter and use the dye. Less chance of cracking and flaking. If it were a hard surface that didn't flex then I would think about it.

Just my .02
dr914@autoatlanta.com
SEM or Marhyde

I suppose you have tried vinylex first?

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 6 2018, 04:53 PM) *

There are some old threads on this but new products emerge and the experience base changes, so seems worth revisiting. I have at least one interior bit (the rubber horn pad) that has a bit of sun fade and could benefit from a refresh.

It seems SEM is still the go to product according to people who seem to know what they are doing. VHT has a Vinyl Dye which they say is a true dye rather than a paint. That seems like it would have some advantageous but doesn't appear to have the following of SEM.

Anyone have experience with either of these products? Also wondering about color match. SEM lists three blacks: Gloss, Satin, and Landau. I'm guessing Landau would be the one to use in a black interior 914. Or would it be better to have my local paint shop mix up some PPG vinyl paint to the OEM interior code?

Any wisdom to share?

bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 21 2020, 08:17 AM) *

I would avoid adding an adhesion promoter and use the dye. Less chance of cracking and flaking. If it were a hard surface that didn't flex then I would think about it.

Just my .02

I'm just going by the SEM tech sheet. It sounds like their adhesion promoter is more of a mild solvent that softens the plastic so the coating melts down into it and fuses with the original skin. I get the impression this is more of a reskinning product than a paint or dye.

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 21 2020, 08:41 AM) *

SEM or Marhyde

I suppose you have tried vinylex first?

I'm using it to freshen up the top rim on the driver's door pocket that has been worn from years of a sweaty arm resting on it. But since you ask.. I'm thinking about using it on the new center cushion cover kit I bought from you because it doesn't quite match the rest of the interior upholstery. I figured I'd see how the paint looks on the door pocket first and then decide.
Dion
@bbrock , no I did not use adhesion promoter just the dye. It has held up pretty good.
Sorry for late response.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.