Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 GT 3.2 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKI-HI
I recently bought a 1972 914 3.2 conversion with 915 transmission. Its the third 914 and the 11th Porsche that i've owned.The car was professionally built about 18 to 20 years ago and at that time they made a few choices .
They used headers,no HE,and ran the steel braided lines for the front oil cooler from the engine through the right hand heater duct to the frunk.
I live in the mountains and it cools off at night and I need to restore some heat to the cabin .
So the long and the short of it does anyone have any experience running an HE on one side only ? I don't need to melt my shoes but I do need a noticeable flow . The rest of the fresh air system is still intact.
Any experience, suggestions ,or tips would be greatly appreciated !
amfab
QUOTE(SKI-HI @ Nov 8 2018, 08:25 PM) *

I recently bought a 1972 914 3.2 conversion with 915 transmission. Its the third 914 and the 11th Porsche that i've owned.The car was professionally built about 18 to 20 years ago and at that time they made a few choices .
They used headers,no HE,and ran the steel braided lines for the front oil cooler from the engine through the right hand heater duct to the frunk.
I live in the mountains and it cools off at night and I need to restore some heat to the cabin .
So the long and the short of it does anyone have any experience running an HE on one side only ? I don't need to melt my shoes but I do need a noticeable flow . The rest of the fresh air system is still intact.
Any experience, suggestions ,or tips would be greatly appreciated !

I don't know if he will do just one, but Ben's HEs are very well made
See Www.914-6werkshop.com
-Andrew
raynekat
And you'd likely want to do a bit of re-plumbing behind the dash such that you could get that heat coming in on just one side (from one heat exchanger) to be split to both sides of the cabin.
thelogo
Why dont you just use a heated seat cover (cig plug) and heated steering wheel cover ?

Steve
I’m running a 3.2 with Bens heat exchangers. They produce excellent heat and are the right size for a 3.2. I would recommend running both sides like the factory. The factory fan does not put out a lot of air, so running both sides will make a difference.
Spoke
welcome.png

Sounds like a nice car.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 9 2018, 05:17 PM) *

Why dont you just use a heated seat cover (cig plug) and heated steering wheel cover ?

Another brilliant answer,nice warm ass and not much else...we will now resume to sensible replies.....hopefully av-943.gif
SKI-HI
Ben's products look like they are excellent quality and the size would flow well with the 3.2. In order to run both sides i'd have to re -route the oil lines that are currently in the right duct .
I 'll try and post some pictures later. Very happy with the car it was built with the chassis stiffening,GT sway bars, Bilstein suspension , Carrera brakes and most important its a blast to drive !
rgalla9146
QUOTE(SKI-HI @ Nov 9 2018, 01:50 AM) *

Ben's products look like they are excellent quality and the size would flow well with the 3.2. In order to run both sides i'd have to re -route the oil lines that are currently in the right duct .
I 'll try and post some pictures later. Very happy with the car it was built with the chassis stiffening,GT sway bars, Bilstein suspension , Carrera brakes and most important its a blast to drive !

Pictures may tell more of the story but it seems the best solution would be Bens
heat exchangers after re-plumbing the oil delivery/return.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 9 2018, 06:57 AM) *

QUOTE(SKI-HI @ Nov 9 2018, 01:50 AM) *

Pictures may tell more of the story but it seems the best solution would be Bens
heat exchangers after re-plumbing the oil delivery/return.

agree.gif steel braided lines and a/n fitting are pretty easy to take apart and re-plumb. Especially if you are pulling off the headers. Drill 1” holes in the door sill supports behind the rocker covers and you are most of the way there. With both HE’s on the car, it will be very comfortable to drive in cold weather.

welcome.png
mb911
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

OP I offer GT copies of the hardlines that may help you as well. As to my heatexchangers we have sold 65ish sets mostly to world members and there has been very positive feedback. We build them now for each client so not a sitting on the shelf item.

Also note my website is under a complete reconstruction and should be done by the end of the month and be able to high light our products even better.
mb911
Here is a special set made for a couple of members here. Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 9 2018, 01:19 AM) *

Another brilliant answer,nice warm ass and not much else...we will now resume to sensible replies.....hopefully av-943.gif

I put in heated seat pads from 914rubber.com. they are nice and long and cover the whole seated surface and the back , I did it when I did the seat kits, wired to my center console . there is a high and low setting , they work great. I don't need them much but its nice to have. Talk to Mark or Matt. Reasonable price.
mepstein
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 9 2018, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 9 2018, 01:19 AM) *

I put in heated seat pads from 914rubber.com. they are nice and long and cover the whole seated surface and the back , I did it when I did the seat kits, wired to my center console . there is a high and low setting , they work great. I don't need them much but its nice to have. Talk to Mark or Matt. Reasonable price.

Phillip - you are in SC. The OP is in Canada. Your winter is his summer. biggrin.gif
worn
QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 8 2018, 09:17 PM) *

Not gonna defrost too well. I have the same issue. Headers with a 3.2. First snow fall last night. The Porsches are officially landlocked in the garage. Thinking about one of Ben's heat exchangers Or a cabin heater with diesel.
GeorgeRud
Save yourself a lot of grief and headaches and just spring for Ben’s heat exchangers - best solution out there. You’ll love the heat output and defrosting.
Chi-town
Ahh the advantages of having a cooling system laugh.gif

SKI-HI
I appreciate the heated seat comments and living in Canada have retrofit them to several cars over the years.My 914 has Scheel style seats that have been recovered in leather with pneumatic lumbar supports ,very comfortable and warm.
This car is summer driven only and the issue is how do you keep your windows clear when you're caught in a heavy shower and the temperature drops .
My wife would also appreciate some heat in the cabin . She tolerated the two Caterham Super 7 's I've owned !
Just to refresh the question ,has anyone been able to make the heating system work with a heat exchanger on one side only ?
mb911
QUOTE(SKI-HI @ Nov 9 2018, 08:13 AM) *

I appreciate the heated seat comments and living in Canada have retrofit them to several cars over the years.My 914 has Scheel style seats that have been recovered in leather with pneumatic lumbar supports ,very comfortable and warm.
This car is summer driven only and the issue is how do you keep your windows clear when you're caught in a heavy shower and the temperature drops .
My wife would also appreciate some heat in the cabin . She tolerated the two Caterham Super 7 's I've owned !
Just to refresh the question ,has anyone been able to make the heating system work with a heat exchanger on one side only ?

There just won't be enough heat that way..

If your looking for a cheap set of heat exchangers I have an original set that I rebuilt would sell cheap
SKI-HI
Thanks Ben and everyone else that participated. I just wanted to explore all posibilites before I came to the obvious ( expensive ) conclusion. Our exchange rate is brutal at this time !
mb911
QUOTE(SKI-HI @ Nov 9 2018, 11:54 AM) *

Thanks Ben and everyone else that participated. I just wanted to explore all posibilites before I came to the obvious ( expensive ) conclusion. Our exchange rate is brutal at this time !

I totally understand.. Your just lucky your asking now rather then Jan 1 as my parts become much more expensive.
Larmo63
Running the oil lines down the driver's side rocker is an easy job. I did all of mine in an afternoon.

That would restore your lost heat tube inside the rocker to it's original configuration.

Cairo94507
This is easy to say when I will not be writing the check, but Ben's heat exchangers and the hard GT lines is the way to go. Do it once, do it right and never worry about it again. beerchug.gif
SKI-HI
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 9 2018, 04:21 PM) *

This is easy to say when I will not be writing the check, but Ben's heat exchangers and the hard GT lines is the way to go. Do it once, do it right and never worry about it again. beerchug.gif

I wish I wasn't writing the cheques either !
Its always been my motto to do it the right way but I'am glad I asked the question just in case someone had a eureka solution I didn't think of.When the car was built almost 20 years ago they didn't spare any expense but had limited options to deal with the oil lines.
Fix it once and restore the heat.
mepstein
QUOTE(SKI-HI @ Nov 9 2018, 08:21 PM) *

Its always been my motto to do it the right way but I'am glad I asked the question just in case someone had a eureka solution I didn't think of.When the car was built almost 20 years ago they didn't spare any expense but had limited options to deal with the oil lines.

agree.gif a lot of times these cars don’t get driven because they are a little to raw for our comfort level. It’s better to spend the money and drive the car than let it sit in the garage. It’s a hit to the wallet but Ben’s heat exchangers are built to last. Sell your headers and get some money back.

How about some pics of the car.
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 9 2018, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(SKI-HI @ Nov 9 2018, 08:21 PM) *

agree.gif a lot of times these cars don’t get driven because they are a little to raw for our comfort level. It’s better to spend the money and drive the car than let it sit in the garage. It’s a hit to the wallet but Ben’s heat exchangers are built to last. Sell your headers and get some money back.

How about some pics of the car.

agree.gif
It’s pretty pathetic having heat exchangers in so cal, but it is a nice creature comfort in the winter time early mornings or late at night. I will also add ac for the summer time, why not??
sixnotfour
Heres your 914 ?
engine mount maybe a problem...I cant remember headbang.gif
Steve
If your running a cross bar motor mount, then heat exchangers won’t work. I upgraded to the firewall rich Johnson mount, just so I could run heat exchangers.
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 10 2018, 04:07 PM) *

If your running a cross bar motor mount, then heat exchangers won’t work. I upgraded to the firewall rich Johnson mount, just so I could run heat exchangers.

I actually will defer to you on this.. I have never had a customer with that cross bar.. The nice thing is the bulkhead mounts can be bolted in if welding ia not your thing.
SKI-HI
Good Catch !
Thats my car ,though I've been underneath it several times and it doesn't look that bad in person !
I'am not familiar with this mount you refer to .
Mark Henry
This would give you tons of heat:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-engine-...gationFlag=true
Mark Henry
You have a "Quick 6" front engine mount, which uses the /4 mount points.
All other mounts, including stock, mount on the firewall and don't run under the engine.
The Quick 6 bar is what will interfere with heat exchangers.
SKI-HI
You learn something new everyday.
I priced out a new Rich Johnson mount and related parts. It will be about $ 1,000 CDN by the time I get it here.
Heat is becoming very expensive
sixnotfour
I have this in my 914-6,,,low 30amps hi 50.....at idle hard on alt. but moving no problem ..911 alternator.. I lived in WA. state...lottsa rainy days...instant heat.. they have all kinds of amp options

https://www.amazon.com/DC-THERMAL-SA12-5000...R/dp/B006VZSMYO

here is me receiving my 914 thing..
mb911
Try mad dog motorsports engine mounts are less then 450 shipped
914forme
agree.gif
mepstein
My favorite- https://naroescapemotorsports.com/product/9...n-engine-mount/
sixnotfour
confused24.gif How much heat does he want ? ..is the question
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 11 2018, 08:58 PM) *

confused24.gif How much heat does he want ? ..is the question

Alberta... so he could drive a nice fall day, stop for evening dinner and come out to -10C (14F).
Also in Alberta they don't use salt, so he may choose to drive on nice winter days, -30 huh.gif
sixnotfour
he may need 2 heaters.... beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 12 2018, 08:21 AM) *

he may need 2 heaters.... beerchug.gif

agree.gif

biggrin.gif Or just 2 heat exchangers..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.