Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best way to remove old copper crush washers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
is not to stab them with a screwdriver....got any other methods?
scotty914
go get a coat hanger or other stiff wire. cut it off and bend a hook that is small, like 1/4 inch. then stick it in the exhaust port and hook it on the back side of the cooper ring and pull.

you may have to rebend and pull from multible spots

when you go to put new ones in hang them on the coat hanger and heat them with a propane torch till they real hot and then drop them in to water. this will soften them up they they seal easier
Mueller
I bent an old screwdriver...works great
user posted image
bd1308
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Jun 18 2005, 10:58 AM)
go get a coat hanger or other stiff wire. cut it off and bend a hook that is small, like 1/4 inch. then stick it in the exhaust port and hook it on the back side of the cooper ring and pull.

you may have to rebend and pull from multible spots

when you go to put new ones in hang them on the coat hanger and heat them with a propane torch till they real hot and then drop them in to water. this will soften them up they they seal easier

quench the copper?.......from what i recall that repairs stress cracks on a molecular level....quenching it makes the grain boundaries smaller and therefore makes the metal more brittle....

just working out the logic in my mind.
scotty914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 18 2005, 11:08 AM)

quench the copper?.......from what i recall that repairs stress cracks on a molecular level....quenching it makes the grain boundaries smaller and therefore makes the metal more brittle....

just working out the logic in my mind.

in steel yes quenching it makes it harder and a slow cool softens

copper or other non ferious metals slow cooling hardens and quenching softens. if you want go get a 50 cent copper fitting and try it, you can get a copper plumbing fitting almost soft enough to squeeze by hand
bd1308
i remember it now, yeah i was able to wrap a huge copper length of tube in tiny concentric circles.......after quenching that is
Tom Perso
WTF are you doing that requires being copper tubing in small circles??? dry.gif

biggrin.gif

Tom
bd1308
its called a lab.... rolleyes.gif

at least i was doing SOMETHING with it...other people just heated it up and branded thier lab partner.
scotty b
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 18 2005, 11:42 AM)
its called a lab.... rolleyes.gif

at least i was doing SOMETHING with it...other people just heated it up and branded thier lab partner.

A LAB? and you were doing soMETHing. idea.gif 2+2= smoke.gif
rhodyguy
i bet shine.

k
scotty914
he is in KY
scotty b
rolling meth lab would explain ALOT laugh.gif
bd1308
actually meth labs are real big in Indiana....nobody can get asprin of any kind w/o a perscription and a quota of how much can be bought.

the lab I was in was explaining the difference between cquenching and not quenching in various materials....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.