Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cost to build a 914/6 GT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
I'm seriously debating building a long term 914/6 GT rep starting with a sound rust free '70-'72 914/4 as a baseline. I know this is a very vague (dumb) question, but....what is the general consensus on how much a project like this could cost? Am I looking at $50K, $75K....

Here are some inspiration photos that I've been saving....

mb911
Yourself or pay someone?
siverson
It depends, but I'd say $50k to $150k for something high quality. But as you know, your engine could be $10k or it could be $75k.

Transmission could be a $1k 901, or a $10k 914 or G50 or ?

Etc, etc.

-Steve
peteyd
Jeff,

how much of the work are you doing yourself? Starting with a chassis that doesn't need rust repair will definitely reduce that cost significantly. I bet it could be done for less than 50k, you will just need to find a flared car that doesn't need paint. Metal work and paint would be the most expensive part of the project. Then which engine will you use? you could spend 10-50k alone on an engine.

All the GT tid bits will add up quick, but for sure could be done for less than 50k in my opinion.

Pete
mb911
With just the conversion parts you are in

Heat exchangers 1900-3k
Oil tank 700
Oil cooler and line setup (GT style) 2500
Engine sheet metal 400-1000
Muffler 700-1200
Engine mount 400ish
Engine 5-15k
Flares 1k
And you can figure out the rest depending on your taste
mepstein
Start by listing what kind of bits you want on a “GT” car and figure out pricing from there. For example, good running 2.7 vs built MFI engine, 914 trans vs 915 trans with 916 sideshift kit, ect.

You have very high standards for your 914-4. Do you want a nice driver or a show car.
Larmo63
Flares for $1,000.00 is only the beginning. The labor to weld them on, the flared rocker covers, flare style valances, and paint add up. Just that can be quite expensive.

Also, consider fiberglass lids, bumpers, rear hold downs, gas cap thru hood, front hood pins, vented oil cooler front trunk floor, oil tank install, GT seats, belts, etc. It depends how far you (need) want to go?

Go look at AJ Serrano's build. It is probably the most authentic "real" GT cars being built out there right now. I'll bet he has quite a bit wrapped up in it. It is an AWESOME car/build and he knows his shit.

It add$ up, but there are no rules.

I like the fact that I can do whatever I want to my car as long as it is tasteful and furthers it's GT spirit.
jmitro
I'm at $35k doing all the work myself, and that's without a 6cylinder engine.
mlindner
I'm also at $35K with a 2.2L S almost done. I've done all the work except the final paint....$12K. Just FYI, Cal, the pictures you posted...that 914-6GT tribute engine will be for sale (914-6 engine numbers). $75K to $100K is in the ball park. Best, Mark
Coondog
Just got a quote from Patrick motorsports to install flares, to include all the misc bodywork, paint “not frame off”, tires and rims. $30,000.00...... blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
larryM
how big is your checkbook?

if unlimited - that's the only answer you need

if limited - you can buy somebody elses's unfinished or mostly finished project for 1/2 or less of the cash outlay to DIY from scratch on your "new" 914
sixnotfour
I bought this one years ago..looked plug and play.....wiring bad ..engine leaks oil like a siv...suspension wrong for 15 inch wheels..body work sucked..Butt has a ton of og GT parts.....Good Luck

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/other_porsche_...32341_jon_lowes

you should have bought that 914 in your post
ConeDodger
$50K not including the car. Ask me how I know... evilgrin.gif
tomeric914
I lost track of the money trail... does it matter? w00t.gif
mepstein
I don't keep track of the money either. My 3.2 engine was $4K when I purchased it 6 years ago so pricing has changed for most peoples builds. I think Paul said it cost $45K to build his black 3.6 featured in Excellence but that was 2005 dollars. It's always cheaper to buy someone else's project but for me, planning what I want and buying the parts is half the fun.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 9 2018, 11:16 PM) *

I don't keep track of the money either. My 3.2 engine was $4K when I purchased it 6 years ago so pricing has changed for most peoples builds. I think Paul said it cost $45K to build his black 3.6 featured in Excellence but that was 2005 dollars. It's always cheaper to buy someone else's project but for me, planning what I want and buying the parts is half the fun.

For the record, Paul has a garage with a machine shop attached. He did everything but the paint himself and even did a 911 Targa restoration at the same time. He’s moved on to photographing bears in Alaska. No shit! And he’s very good at it!
Mark Henry
Also what is a 914/6 GT replica? Just the look or a full blown correct replica with tank, balsa FG hoods, etc. The latter could go over 100K.
defianty
The link to my build is in the link below in my signature. My current spend is $44K and I'm not done yet! That includes the paint bill though and many more parts that I've not show in the build yet but I'm not that far away now. I estimate I'm about $3K in bits and pieces to finish. BUT that doesn't include the price of the car which I guess in todays market would be about $15K.

It's worth noting that other than the paint I've done everything myself
914forme
It takes for ever to find all the correct parts, and then you have to base it off a particular car, because while they share similar parts, details of them can and are different.

Or you can build a tribute, and your price goes down a bit.

Kelly Moss built a 100 Litter replica tank for a build I helped with, and the dollars spent on the tank alone. blink.gif

I was 100% correct in every detail drooley.gif
PanelBilly
$85k if you do lots of work.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 10 2018, 05:34 AM) *

Also what is a 914/6 GT replica? Just the look or a full blown correct replica with tank, balsa FG hoods, etc. The latter could go over 100K.

Agree with Mark, 914/6 GT Replica is a vague term. That said, mine is a tribute? No FG Balsa or tank.
And if you want to go for a 916 trans too, probably add 10k just for that! It really all depends on the level you go for and how much work you can do yourself.
50k+ is a good number for starters.
driving.gif white914.jpg
rhodyguy
I think any notion sub $80k is off the mark. Look at what decent cars, that are going to be cut in the process, fetch these days. $17k+ And whatever it takes to get the car home. Then you start the process by selling off 4 lug fuch wheels. Or start with an original 6 at $80+ and still have a tribute car 5 years down the road.
BuddyV
Just a thought....

Seems clear that budget always ends up being much higher than expected, especially lately since the 914 is becoming more.... well.... appreciated. But BUILD TIME is also always longer than expected on these cars. And for a GT build, probably longer.

If you truly have the budget you have, consider buying a completed (mostly) car. There will always be things to work on, but you could drive it right away.

I recently bought a completed car with a 3.2..... and i'm driving it almost every day. Over the past 15 years, I have gotten used to WAITING for projects to be completed. Actually driving the car is a new, amazing experience.

..... and yesterday the fuel system acted up and I had to work on the car. It's running again.

Consider making your project the hunt...... and reach out to other members to help look. I bet you would find a great car before it gets listed.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

ChrisFoley
I have a customer's 2.4L CIS conversion in my shop right now which is for sale.
Asking price is $30K as is. I haven't made a consignment arrangement with the owner yet but have thought about it.
Yellow, narrow body, never hit, with no chassis rust repair needed. Only cosmetic work is required to be an excellent example, and if you're flaring it, it will need paint anyway.
The only real deficiency is the engine installer banged up the rear engine bulkhead to get the CIS to fit rather than doing it correctly either by altering the intake or modifying the panel nicely.
I tried to get another customer interested and have a $26000 estimate written up to add my hardtop, a set of GT flares, repair the bulkhead, prep it for paint and reassemble it afterward. The paint shop I use would probably charge around $15K.
It already has the 5 lug conversion with 6 x 16 Fuchs, factory oil tank, factory HEs, gauges, nice stock interior.
Email me at chris.foley at tangerineracing.com for details if you're interested.
larryM
Huh????????

the OP has a 914-4 - 914-4 VIN

- no way it will ever be anything but a replica-tribute-clone or whatever ya wanna call it

it will be worth (maybe) the sum of the parts when finished and ready for PCA regional concours as a S-2 T-2 class car
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.