Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front shudders after hitting a bump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
So under the theory of "just drive it and the problems that need your attention will present themselves" I've started to drive the yellow 73 that slept for 20 years. Sure enough the car has pointed out some things it wants to have me address.

When I hit a bump or irregularity in the road the front end of the car shutters and generally feels loose.

The shocks appear to have decent rebound and them doing the fender bounce test, so I am suspecting the front end bushings are all passed it. I suppose I need to check the tire rods etc. as well, but anything with these I should be thinking?

Thanks!
'
SirAndy
Sounds like something is lose, there are a lot of possibilities, especially if the car hasn't been driven for that long.

Balljoints, shocks, torsion bars, tie rods, steering coupler, wheel bearings, lose wheel bolts, out of balance wheels, lose a-arm bolts, back tabs bolts missing on the cross member after someone removed the protective cover and forgot to put them back on ...
popcorn[1].gif

914_teener
If you have stock tie rods I.d say that the main offerender.

But it could be a cummulative amount of all of what Andy said.
Larmo63
Put it on a lift and inspect the whole car.

It sounds like you have a worn out front end.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 9 2018, 06:40 PM) *

Sounds like something is lose, there are a lot of possibilities, especially if the car hasn't been driven for that long.

Balljoints, shocks, torsion bars, tie rods, steering coupler, wheel bearings, lose wheel bolts, out of balance wheels, lose a-arm bolts, back tabs bolts missing on the cross member after someone removed the protective cover and forgot to put them back on ...
popcorn[1].gif

You forgot the camber plates biggrin.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 10 2018, 08:41 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 9 2018, 06:40 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

You forgot the camber plates biggrin.gif

Oh fine, be all thorough and thoughtful and give me more stuff to do.
;-)

I will get her up in the air and figure out what's going on, thanks for the suggestions of things to check.
914Sixer
Don't forget the hockey puck at the steering rack.
Tdskip
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 10 2018, 02:20 PM) *

Don't forget the hockey puck at the steering rack.

Good tip, thanks!
Tdskip
OK - got the car up in the air and here is what I found ;

- tie rods didn't have any play and look to be in decent shape
- one of the front torsion bars was not fully tight
- lug nuts were slightly under torque spec
- bushings look OK, I'm going to replace them because they can look OK and still be marginal, but nothing obvious there
- I have slight play in one of the wheel bearings

Quick test drive and the shudder is completely gone despite the wheel bearing needing to be addressed.

This actually makes me VERY keen on how she will drive/steer once everything is refreshed in properly in spec.

Thanks for the ideas and coaching!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.