Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tab914
Hello all.

I was reading the thread on the Mallory distributor and was very interested in the gain in hp's and throttle response. After inquiring with Jake Rabbi he informed me that it was not compatible with my stock 1974 fuel injected 2.0lt. sad.gif I was wondering if someone could let me know if there are any other options, for increased hp's and throttle response, for my car without going to carbs or making any other major changes.
Also, just changing my distributor, which distributors can I go to? Will a bosch 009 work? confused24.gif
Thanks in advance for any responses to this thread.
Cheers, Dominic.
bd1308
your stuck with your FI dizzy.....you need the trigger points at the base of the distributor to provide the "ECU" with a reference signal...without those points, you might as well just push your car with your feet.....

my advice is to either stick with what you have, buy a rebuilt 050, get new trigger points(they help...promise. I've seen/felt it with my own feet...just couldnt afford them) or go aftermarket.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Tab914 @ Jun 18 2005, 02:55 PM)
I was reading the thread on the Mallory distributor and was very interested in the gain in hp's and throttle response. After inquiring with Jake Rabbi he informed me that it was not compatible with my stock 1974 fuel injected 2.0lt. sad.gif I was wondering if someone could let me know if there are any other options, for increased hp's and throttle response, for my car without going to carbs or making any other major changes.
Also, just changing my distributor, which distributors can I go to? Will a bosch 009 work?

tuneup stuff. check for vacuum leaks. make sure your MPS is not leaking. valve adjustment. make sure the timing is spot on.

you must use a D-Jet distributor, of which the ".050" is *not* one... if your distributor is worn out the scattered spark phenominon could be holding performance back a bit; they are rebuildable.

it may be time for a valve job which would freshen the engine and could restore a bit of the original power and responsiveness. Porsche didn't leave a whole lot of performance on the table with the 2,0 and a '74 waqs just about as light as a 2,0 got.

"no replacement for displacement." for more power, go bigger. carbs won't add *any* power all by themselves - not without a whole different engine under them.

do a compression and leakdown test to find out just how tired your 30-year-old engine is. could be it's just really gone soft and all you need is a stock rebuild with Euro pistons that'll bring it back to how it should have been originally.

no 914 was ever what we'd now consider "quick" with tons of neck-snapping acceleration. you'll need more than bolt-on parts if that's what you're looking for.
Tab914
Thanks guys. That's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure before I do that tune up and valve job. The engine doesn't really feel that tired, just hoping for any edge I can get. wink.gif Is it a big job to take the dizzy apart and clean it up and lube it to get the best performance out of it? What difficulty level, on a scale of 1 to 5, is it? huh.gif
bd1308
i did it in a hour in my dorm hallway with a can of carb cleaner, a flathead screwdriver and a roll of paper towel.....everyone down my hallway enjoyed a nice high after the episode too.

like a 2/5 or something...just dont break the little copper ground cable wire thing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.