Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Labor rates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boston914
Just curious what guys are paying for labor rates for brake work, general maintenance, etc. on their 914s.

In the Boston area, the shops I have used are charging $80 to $90 per hour, charging actual (not book) time.

Is this typical ? resonable ?

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------
'76 Malaga Red
tat2dphreak
not reasonable, but sounds typical... even little fly-by-night places charge $70/hour now... and the 914 is a bit of a "specialty" item... not that many shops even know what they are...
redshift
I pay $75/hr.

M
TimT
My friend here in the greater NYC area charges $85/hour

The local BMW and Porsche dealers are over $100/hour
Aaron Cox
i work for free.... or food or beer wink.gif

around here .... ~80 an hour.
mk114
labor rates are vary state to state 80 to 90/hr may sound high but in boston thats normal because
if take in to account half of that goes to cover the mechanic (insurance, liabillity wages...) then he makes 45 dollars /hr if you tke that and times it by 1.5 (time to do front brake job) the owner makes 67.5 so in a month when he ahs the following bills

(5000.00 dollars rent(estimate)
250 electrical
100 gas
100 uniforms
100 shop supplies
100 misc
+____________
5650 a month

he would have to do 83 brake jobs just to be even

People don't think twice about paying the roofer 200 bucks hr but when it comes to mechanics
a few over priced ripoff idiots spoil your trust for them
I have to explain this every time some one compalins about my labor rate of 63.00 hr

So I would sum up this statement find a mechanic you trust and forget the money. a good mechanic is better than a cheap mechanic. for 20.00 extra bucks your buying the trust if something goes wrong they will be there to back you up
TravisNeff
my rate is free, good thing too cuz that is all I can afford. I learned long ago if I wanted to keep the pcar I would have to learn to do it all myself. So far I've only farmed out headwork and alingments. My first 914, I spent more in maintenance in the first year than I paid for the car ($5500) that was only the start.
914fire
You can pay people to work on your car? wow wink.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 18 2005, 03:16 PM)
my rate is free, good thing too cuz that is all I can afford. I learned long ago if I wanted to keep the pcar I would have to learn to do it all myself. So far I've only farmed out headwork and alingments. My first 914, I spent more in maintenance in the first year than I paid for the car ($5500) that was only the start.

I learned it very quick... either someone else will charge you an arm and/or a leg, or they flat won't touch it... any mechanic knows how to work on a camaro, but few even know about our obscure little cars, let alone know how to work on the right...
Joe Bob
Whatever you or anyone else charges,,,,some one is gona beeeyotch. I rent myself out when doing sign work at 75/hr, private eye weaseldick at 120/hr, Certified Asbestos Consultant/Hazmat douche bag...200/hr.

I don't mechanical work for pay...cause I like to be able to walk away when somtheing pisses me off and then come back later. I know my limitations and send work out to people who have talent.

Then I pay what they ask...I only jump down their throat when they do crappy work or don't back up what they do...most of the people know what to expect from me and to produce. Very rarely do I have an issue that I have to pound on a desk and give them a stink eye....
redshift
god knows.... to have to look at your stink eye..

yeesh

morph
when i DID do service it was at 75.00 hour.
too much liabillity for me so i wont work on other peoples cars any more. so those rates sound about right.
james
Joe Bob
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 18 2005, 01:11 PM)
god knows.... to have to look at your stink eye..

yeesh

Check the avatar, goatboy.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.