Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914S Badge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
HPH has this badge for sale on Ebay for the LOW Price of $199.99. It states that they do not know who manufactured it. SO, if your have a little money you want to burn.
My 914
That was a very rare model.
mepstein
Mueller makes custom badges for a lot less.
914Sixer
I was trying to make the point of some of the prices of items on Ebay. Numerous examples of just because it says Porsche you SHOULD pay stupid prices.
bandjoey
That’s the 914-5
bdstone914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 11 2018, 07:47 AM) *

I was trying to make the point of some of the prices of items on Ebay. Numerous examples of just because it says Porsche you SHOULD pay stupid prices.

Aside from the price that part has some interesting detail like the pebbling on the short connecting pieces just like the factory original ones. We all no there really was no 914 S , right? Just a u.s. marketing trick that Porsche did no approve.
mepstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 11 2018, 08:47 AM) *

I get it. Seems to be stupid pricing everywhere. People see a high list price and price their item even higher.
914Sixer
Bruce,
You are correct, it was a short lived marketing ploy. I also agree that some one took the time to get the details right on the badge.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2018, 05:41 AM) *

Mueller makes custom badges for a lot less.

I like Mike and i'm glad he does what he does, but the detail and finish on that badge in question seems a step up from what Mueller does (and probably can do with his home shop).

I know a lot of people hate on HPH and Rich, but given the apparent quality of that badge combined with the rarity, if i had a '73 S i'd be all over that thing at $200.
shades.gif
sixnotfour
I know a lot of people hate on HPH and Rich

he just likes fishing ...alot.. biggrin.gif
Tom_T
About the "914-S" badge shown:

IMHO it's aftermarket or homemade.

It doesn't look like any of the ones being made by members here in recent years, who die-cut or CNC cut them, as they don't have the pebbling on the cross-connecting bars, as with the originals.

In fact the pebbling looks more crisp than the metal 914 & 1.7, 2.0 badges from Porsche had, but more like the 74 MY & later replacement plastic badges, in which the plastic forms & holds the pebbling much better from the molds.

My guess is that whomever made these - for a dealer, for private use, for aftermarket sales - who knows!? - used a plastic 914 badge + an "S" from a 911-S badge, to make up a metal casting mold to make these up.

Some dealers were said to have used these on the early delivery 914 2.0 "914-S" cars, which were delivered without the 2.0 badge - & only had 914 with no way to ID them different from the early 73 1.7s - also with only the 914 badge.

Those early 73 cars can be ID'ed by the fact that they have rear walls with the 2nd pair of holes drilled in for the 2.0 or 1.7 - rather than punched holes at the sheet metal factory/works. My 8/31/72 build date 73 2L has those punched + drilled holes back wall, as do many others built with Aug & Sept 72 VINs & Chassis Nos.

The way to tell later drilled vs factory stamped/punched holes, is the drilled ones will have the conical "push-through" deformation from the drill bit on the inside wall, whereas the factory ones are clean & flat on both sides due to the factory tooling & jigs keeping the sheet metal flat with clean cutouts/holes.

From the 1st pic of the back, it looks to be a cast pot metal badge due to the dishing seen - worst on the far right at the "9" - but the factory metal badges are almost always clean & flat on the back (although also cast metal). So the backs of factory metal badges are smooth & flat backed, without the dishing & ground/filed down overage areas seen on this one.

Also, the factory badges would have non-threaded cast-in studs (indicating a full 2-sided mold was used) - while this looks to be either screws or bolts embedded into the cast then poured (with or without the heads cut-off) - which points to a small hand laid-up production run - or a 1, 2, 3 or so off homemade job.

Since the OEM supplier of the factory metal badges would've used a 2 sided mold in order to cast in the mounting studs also made of the same cast metal (ergo why they often break), which are then mounted with the Porsche rubber & brass clips which are still available today (thanks to 911s' popularity) - this one with screw & nut studs would 99% sure be an aftermarket piece.

I've also seen others made up from the 2 actual factory badges "914" + the "S-with-Bar" from a 911-S badge - but you can usually see the "S-to-4" joint welded or soldered on the backside &/or front of those "composite badges."

> Note the deep dishing of the pot metal on the backside, with some edges of overfill ground down - indicating a 1-sided mold only; & note embedded screws/bolts - & not factory cast mounting studs; & note no soldered "S-to-4" joint of a composite badge:
Click to view attachment

> Note the possible slight upward curve or arch to the badge (also at pic above) - that the factory metal badges don't have - but the plastic ones often do, which could indicate some deformation of a plastic factory badge used to make the casting mold (but it could just be lens effect in the pix too); & note no evidence of a "S-to-4" joint at the front either - indicating it was cast from a fully formed & cleaned up mold; & there may be some roundness or curvature on the front of the "9" face to the left of the crossbar, which could be from an oval-head screw cast in at that point (as seen at the back pic above):
Click to view attachment

All in all - it's a pretty clean cast metal badge, which looks like a couple of similar badges which I'd seen on dealer "914S" cars back in the day of the summer/fall of `72, when I went to LA & San Diego Porsche dealerships to drool over them - even if I couldn't afford one then while working my way through college!
drooley.gif wub.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Dave_Darling
You realize it's pretty easy to take a 914-6 badge and to cut a little of the "6" out so it looks like an "S", right?

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 11 2018, 11:28 AM) *

You realize it's pretty easy to take a 914-6 badge and to cut a little of the "6" out so it looks like an "S", right?

--DD

Except, if this had started as a 914-6 badge, someone had to fill in the inner parts and rounded edges with metal since the gap between the horizontal parts of the "6" are much wider than the gaps on the "S".

To get an idea on how much one would have to fill to make that "S", just look at the spacing on the leading "9" and compare the two.

I think it's highly unlikely someone filled in that much pot metal without leaving any trace.
shades.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 11 2018, 07:06 AM) *

... We all no there really was no 914 S , right? Just a u.s. marketing trick that Porsche did no approve.

"914sixer:
"Bruce,
You are correct, it was a short lived marketing ploy. I also agree that some one took the time to get the details right on the badge."

With all due respect guys, your comments are off-base - this is NOT some "rebel US Porsche+Audi (P+A) dealers' conspiracy" theory BS!

Why do people keep perpetuating this false info that there was no "914S"!?

It is a well documented FACT that there was a sub-model "trim package" called the "914-S" authorized by Porsche USA, VWoA, PAG & VW-Porsche (note that it was still the JV at the point of late 1972 - early 1973 & Porsche only bought out VW from the JV in 1974) -- collectively "Porsche" below, in order to sell the USA new 2.0L -4 as the "914S" in the USA, Canada & Japan; & as the "914SC" in the UK (+ Australia & New Zealand possibly too).

In the North American market the "914S" moniker was dropped for the "fully loaded" trim package model nos. 473664 (CA), 473644 (rest of N.A.) which included both the Appearance Group (AG) & Performance Group (PS - also called "Sport Group" - SG) groups of options within the base price of $5299 for the "914S".

Initially Porsche only sold the 2.0 -4 as the fully loaded "914S" here - their biggest market worldwide at +/-60% of all sold - in the 1973 MY, in order to attract buyers of the less successful selling & higher priced 70-72 914-6, which it was replacing. So they were offering more optional goodies, included within a lower base price than was the last of the base/stripped 914-6, with 95 vs 110 HP, but better Torque lower down in the rev range (i.e.: more tractable & more responsive throttle at low revs in street use, AX & tight tracks).

While the other sub-models with either AG, PG/SG or base equipment & no options &/or the preceding with customer selected options were available in dealerships in the ROW markets - & by order here in the USA/Canada (North America or N.A.) - they were not imported to the USA to sit on dealer lots here in the USA during the first half or 2/3s of the 73 MY.

Dealers here just didn't want them because they were afraid to have lesser equipped 2.0s sit on their lots unwanted & perceived as stripped down 2.0s, & taking away from the slow 1.7 sales due to their detuning to meet the CA & 49 state emissions standards (in CA the 1.7 dropped to just 69 HP, & 72 HP for the 49 state versions) - since they were still worrying about the hurdles of replacing the prior 70-72 914-6s.

In March 1973, Porsche (all of the above subsidiaries) had to raise the base price of the loaded "914S" trim package to $7299, but they still wanted to have a lower priced 2.0 to advertise - so they switched their advertising to the "914 Sport" which had no AG group options but kept the "Sport Group" PG option group - basically a stripped down 2.0 with sway bars & the Fuchs 2.0 wheels as model no. 973764 (CA) & 973744 (rest of N.A.) in order to advertise a 914 with the 2.0 at $5299.

Dave K's Orange/Black 73 914 Sport is an excellent example of the "914 Sport"

Porsche had to keep a base 2.0 model in that price range in order to compete with Datsun 240Z/260Z, MGB/GT, Fiat 124, Alfa 2000, etc. in roughly the $5-6k base price range - while the economic currency exchanges had the West German Deutche Mark (WGDM) escalating vs. the US Dollar (USD), which caused VWoA/P+A to raise the US price of the fully loaded "914S" up $2k from $5299 at their Aug/Sept `72 introduction - up to $7299 by Mar/June `73.

This was the time that then President Nixon took the USD off of the gold standard, & allowed it to "float" in the currency markets against all other currencies - because being fixed by gold backing was draining our gold reserves, as holders of other currencies were drawing gold on their USD holdings, as their "home currencies" de-escalated against the gold backed USD. His action in 1973 was also due to the economic effects & high inflation caused by the first Oil Crisis in 1973.

At that point, Porsche added the other trim packages for the USA as well - including the "914 Sport" with Sport Group/PG only - because the WGDM was rapidly escalating vs. the now "floating" USD in currency exchange, causing all Porsche models 914 & 911 to rapidly escalate or lose money on the currency exchange rates. It wasn't so much that production costs & parts were going up that much, but rather that the USD was dropping vs. the WGDM, the British Pound, & other stronger of the world currencies - so they got less dollars per WGDM each month. So those old world history & economics classes that you had to take in high school &/or college actually do/did have relevance to your car hobbies!

It was an ECONOMIC pricing decision to stop advertising the "914S" as their halo price & value leader - & switch to the "914 Sport" as their "price/value leader" to get people to come into the showrooms, & to hopefully buy a 914 - hopefully a 914 2L - & hopefully buy up & pay EXTRA fro the options &/or pay the full increased $7299 price for the "914S".

However, the "914S" model lasted the ENTIRE `73 MY - not just part of it, & they used the sales brochures listing the "914S' for the entire 1973 MY - & never reprinted them with the "914 2.0" until 1974 MY!

Note that those "914 Sport" models were the last sub-model numbers add to the `73 model numbers list at Jeff Bowlsby's link below (by model number sequence from the factory - which is how Jeff has them listed as well), which is indicative of the later addition of that "sub-model trim package" set-up being added later in the 1973 MY - in early/mid calendar 1973.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm

So according to the Porsche & P-Dealer sources with whom I've been further researching this "914S" situation, where much of the above facts come from - it was changed as part of the VWoA/P+A/Porsche's USA marketing plans reacting to the WGDM inflation against the USD - in order to keep an entry level 2.0 914 at $5299, while raising the price of the fully loaded "914S" so as NOT to lose money on them with the AG/PG/SG options included - AND apparently NOT the oft touted conspiracy theories that the USA PCA members with 911S's forced Porsche to change it, or that Porsche had never approved the "914S" & forced the change - they are NOT true!

In fact - the "914S" was a trim package used in multiple world markets of the USA, Canada, Mexico (collectively North America as served by VWoA & their Porsche+Audi dealerships) & Japan, & "914SC" in UK (& possibly in Ireland, Australia & New Zealand markets as well).

In the automotive business it is no different than the other major 914/4 "sub-model trim package" (or "Trim level", "variant", etc.) - known as the 1974 MY Limited Edition/LE or Can-Am listed on Jeff's models listing as model nos. 974644 (CA) & 974664 (rest of N.A.) - wherein certain of the options, 2 special 2-tone paint schemes with Mahle "Baby Gasburner" wheels painted to match the accent color, black painted trim, anti-sway bars, etc. The primary difference was that the factory limited them to 2000 examples (1000 in each color scheme) & were produced to commemorate Porsches wins in the Can-Am Race Series (there was also a similar 2-tone painted 1974 sub-model trim package" with a dash badge called the "Commemorative Edition" to commemorate the 100,000th 914 built at about the same timing as the USA/Canada 914 Can-Am LE).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_level_(automobile)

However, both the earlier 1973 MY "914S"/"914SC" sub-model trim package, & the following 1974 MY "Can-Am"/"Limited Edition" sub-model trim package, were both approved by Porsche, & both were intended to help boost sales of the 914s with a "Halo" model which would draw prospective buyers into their dealerships. It is very common for automakers then & now to offer special sub-model trim packages on a new or updated model in it's first year - as Porsche did with the "914S"/"914SC" & still does with recent & current models.

Another difference between the two, is that the 1974 MY "Can-Am"/"Limited Edition" sub-model trim package was only offered for a few months in the later 1974 MY in Spring of 1974 - whereas the prior 1973 MY "914S"/"914SC" sub-model trim package ran for the ENTIRE 12 months of the 1973 MY - so I'd say that it's hard to try to say that it was some fleeting marketing ploy by rogue US P+A dealers - as some erroneously claim!

While R&T and some other publications back then had reported that the home office didn't like the "914S" moniker - which was conjecture on their part - the reality was that Porsche needed to offer more other 2L 914 sub-models with lower price points & less options included in the base price, than the fully loaded "914S".

However, Porsche still wanted press coverage on the full line of 2L options/trim levels, so they stopped exclusively presenting the "914S", as they had in the first half or 2/3's of the 1973 MY - & they eventually just referred to it as the "914-2.0" in articles & press releases (R&T had referred to it as "914/2" for their March `73 article, which was by their own admission made up by themselves - not Porsche).

To be clear - there never was a "914S" factory badge for these 1973 914 2Ls, but some dealers did make some up to put on the earliest 73 914s because they only had "914" on both of the 1.7 & 2.0 powered models. By the same token - there NEVER was a "914-LE" badge or other markings for the 1974 "Can-Am/LE" sub-model trim package either - although Porsche did experiment with a "Can-Am side stripe, which was never used on any production LE; & by necessity they had to put special paint codes on the Karmann Plates to signify the two-tone paint scheme used on the LEs - making them easier to ID at this late date, but it's just a paint code, NOT a sub-model badge.

> These 914-S ads ran from around Aug. 1972 through about March 1973, when pricing changes forces VWoA/P+A/Porsche to raise their price from $5299 to $7299 -
Click to view attachment

> Note the extra options included in the "914S" Sub-Model Trim Package from BOTH their print ad & North American/USA P+A Dealer Sales Brochure -
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

> Note that the the above "914S" ad was not replaced with the similar ad with the very same picture, but with the "914 2.0" instead, & without the "included '914S' options listed as included until 1974 MY -
Click to view attachment

> However, the USA P+A dealer sales brochures continued to list the "914S" in their specs & included AG+PG/SG optional equipment until the end of the 1973 MY in July `73 - i.e.: for the ENTIRE 1973 MY -
Click to view attachment

> And the "914S" was regularly displayed at USA New Car Shows by Porsche/VWoA/P+A throughout the ENTIRE 1973 MY - This is at the Fall 1972 Ft. Worth Car Show -
Click to view attachment

For those interested in more history on the "914S"/"914SC" - I did this topic a while back -

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=107851

Hopefully we on this 914world board can stop perpetuating misinformation on the "914S"/"914SC" - & instead correctly characterize them as what they were:
The well priced "loaded with options" introductory 914 2L Sub-model Trim Package, which was priced out of serving as the Porsche+Audi dealers' "price leader 'halo' car" 914 2L, due to world financial, currency economic conditions causing it's price to rise by 38% in just 7 months on the market from $5299 to $7299 (West Coast POE, Ease POE was slightly less).

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
sixnotfour
plates are cheaper
seanery
@Tom_T I think this post is the reason you've been so highly recommended to take over the Originality and History Forum!! ;-)
Mark Henry
I have a 914SC.....a 74 914 with a '79 SC engine. biggrin.gif
Larmo63
I still have the original window sticker that came with my car. It is a 473664 model, and the base price was $5,299.00

Black paint was $187.00 extra + 84.00 for tinted windows.

My '73 is the 1012th car built and has the vinyl "A" pillar trim still intact as I've mentioned before.

The 914S badge would be very cool on my car and a real head scratcher.

By the way, an authentic 914 - 6 badge has an implied "dash" in the casting between the "4" and the "6". The badge we are talking about here doesn't. Pretty big difference.
Mueller
Neat 914S badge, I'm not trying to exact replicas or direct reproductions.
I have also not tried to make a direct copy with the draft and little dots and mounting studs.

My 914S emblem is a little different and did go on a 2.3 "S" .

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 11 2018, 10:00 PM) *

I still have the original window sticker that came with my car. It is a 473664 model, and the base price was $5,299.00

Black paint was $187.00 extra + 84.00 for tinted windows.

My '73 is the 1012th car built and has the vinyl "A" pillar trim still intact as I've mentioned before.

The 914S badge would be very cool on my car and a real head scratcher.

By the way, an authentic 914 - 6 badge has an implied "dash" in the casting between the "4" and the "6". The badge we are talking about here doesn't. Pretty big difference.

Lawrence,

FYI - there are a couple of topics on here about early 73 MY 914s with the windshield frame vinyl "experiment" - but I don't have those links handy anymore. A google search may turn them up if you're interested, but the OP has sold his 914 & moved on, so it doesn't get updated on his VIN list of cars with it anymore.

If you haven't sent Jeff Bowlsby a copy of your window sticker yet to post on his website's WS page as a reference, then please do so, so others can benefit.

Our respective early73 2Ls are only 942 apart at ...1012 & ...1954.

Out of curiosity - what does your chassis no. translate to for build date, & what Month/Year is your IN sticker?

Also, do you know the first sold date of yours? (should be on your early CA-DMV Reg cards)

Mine is 8/31/72 chassis no. build date, 8/72 VIN sticker, & was 1st sold here in OC on11/9/72 - then I bought it from the OO in Dec 75.

Mine was also originally with the windshield frame vinyl, because we found some in the nooks & crannies under trim etc., but that had been removed by the original dealer in Garden Grove/Westminster to do what turned out to be TWO prior repaints from the OE L80E Light Ivory - Sahara Beige which I hadn't been aware of until I started taking her apart for this resto/repair (or if I did, I forgot! blink.gif ), & then Gold Metallic when I bought it, & what the OO had.

AFAIK, when I first looked at mine, the OO said that the dealer had repainted to try to sell it better, & it had no evidence of any accident damage nor Bondo, cuz I took a magnet in a cloth all over that body to check it out! The L80E was still intact under the floor mats & in other interior covered areas (& still is).

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
jim9148
Just happened by this thread so thought I'd set it straight. I have an identical emblem which I purchased several years ago. Even the nylon mounting nuts and washers and the instruction sheet pictured on the Ebay auction are identical.
This emblem was made by William Bowen who lives in Ventura, CA. I first saw his emblems at one of the Porsche gatherings years ago at the Ventura Fair Grounds.
Unlike most of his other emblems, mine and the one pictured above, is not metal but black epoxy. The detail is on a level with factory parts.
I sold that car, but now have a small-block conversion nearing completion. I emailed Mr. Bowen to see if he can supply the metal or plastic 914-8 emblems, but he could not give me a definite answer since he seems to be semi-retired and most of his work involves making prototypes for various customers.
Jim
72914S
My emblem
Steve
Is that an S or a 5? Could be the rare 5 cylinder 914
Mueller
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 7 2020, 06:36 AM) *

Is that an S or a 5? Could be the rare 5 cylinder 914

Before I put the V6 into my car I was seriously looking at the VW 2.5 inline 5 cylinder and I was going to do the 914-5 badge to throw people off.

I still think the 2.5 motor would be a cool swap, just need to figure what to do for fuel and ignition.
Vietnam6871
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 11 2018, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 11 2018, 07:47 AM) *

Aside from the price that part has some interesting detail like the pebbling on the short connecting pieces just like the factory original ones. We all no there really was no 914 S , right? Just a u.s. marketing trick that Porsche did no approve.

It's a fake. I have an original "S" and it is separate from the "914" I also have a very early 1973 Porsche 914 brochure that shows the "914 S" my "S" has a manufacture date of August 1972.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 11 2018, 09:16 PM) *

I have a 914SC.....a 74 914 with a '79 SC engine. biggrin.gif

I guess I would have a "914-S" as mine has a 2.7S engine.

Cool!

smile.gif
Vietnam6871
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 11 2018, 09:24 AM) *

HPH has this badge for sale on Ebay for the LOW Price of $199.99. It states that they do not know who manufactured it. SO, if your have a little money you want to burn.

This is not how the original looked. I have one and the 914 and the S are totally separated which is exactly how the 1973 914 Porsche brochure shows them.
Mikey914
Prettiest sure the S is just the S from the PORSCHE grill script.
Got all the above for anyone who needs a 914 S pm me .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.