Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Large oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdamiano
After the drive at Octeenerfest I noticed I had an oil leak. It leaked about a quart on the 125 miles. I cleaned all the oil from the bottom of the car when I got home. Sitting in my garage it dripped a few drops under the oil cooler over the past month.

I drove it about 160 miles yesterday and it leaked about another quart and covered the bottom of the engine and transaxle and even spattered oil on the firewall up to the battery.

Checked my oil sensor and it’s dry. Fan seems dry.

Any advice on where I should look and how to fix would be appreciated.
Triaddave
It may be in a place you can't see, like maybe a rear seal under the flywheel. That is a lot of oil though, but it under constant pressure. Is the clutch smoking or starting to fail?
jdamiano
QUOTE(Triaddave @ Nov 11 2018, 03:49 PM) *

It may be in a place you can't see, like maybe a rear seal under the flywheel. That is a lot of oil though, but it under constant pressure. Is the clutch smoking or starting to fail?

Clutch seems fine. Seems to be coming from the fan side of the engine. Maybe oil cooler? Push rod tubes look ok.
bandjoey
Do you have a head breather tube where the hose popped off? The oil cooler or push rod tube usually would not leak that much oil at one time and spray up towards the battery compartment.
rhodyguy
Is there a oil puddle on top of the oil filter?
jdamiano
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 11 2018, 04:45 PM) *

Is there a oil puddle on top of the oil filter?

Lots of oil all over the filter.
rhodyguy
More likely than not it's the cooler seals. Hassle...
IronHillRestorations
Yes, sounds like oil cooler or cooler seals to me too
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.