Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Haven't posted in awhile....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scott_in_nh
Too much going on in the last year or two, but it seems to be settling down now.

I had not even started my car this year until it was time to move her to her new home/garage, but she started with a new battery and about 2 seconds of cranking over biggrin.gif

The tires are a bit flat spotted, but she otherwise drove great.

She is finally kept at the same address I live at for the first time in 4-1/2 years!

Our house did not have a garage, but we downsized to a townhouse that does.

It is small, but drier, cleaner and brighter than the garage I have been renting.

Any of you guys wrench on your car at a townhouse or condo?

If so, what do you get away with (noise, smoke, banging, swearing, etc)?

Mueller
We had to close the garage door in our townhouse to do any work on the car otherwise a-holes would call and complain, even if doing something as simple as changing the spark plugs. (this was pre-914 )
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 12 2018, 02:07 PM) *

We had to close the garage door in our townhouse to do any work on the car otherwise a-holes would call and complain, even if doing something as simple as changing the spark plugs. (this was pre-914 )

good example of my concern, I haven't really met the neighbors yet....
scott_in_nh
I think I need some wheel dollies to move the car sideways as needed - what do you guys like?

Harbor freight? Something more?

I just want it to roll easy i.e. good castors
Tom_T
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Nov 12 2018, 12:15 PM) *

Any of you guys wrench on your car at a townhouse or condo?

If so, what do you get away with (noise, smoke, banging, swearing, etc)?

I think I need some wheel dollies to move the car sideways as needed - what do you guys like?

Harbor freight? Something more?

I just want it to roll easy i.e. good castors

Scott,

Get ahold of a copy to the Condo CC&Rs (Codes, Covenants & Restrictions) to read up on what it says you can & cannot do with regards to working on cars, noise etc. - so you know the limitations - & hi-light the & keep them handy in case you have to quote them back to some overzealous neighbor or Community Association Board member (most don't know those themselves).

Next, get to know your neighbors & butter them up, give them food/goodies, & your phone number telling them to feel free to contact you if there is too much noise (better to contact you & deal with it, than they reporting it).

PS - Also check your city/town codes for any restrictions on home wrenching & car service & washing etc. Some place here in the Peoples Republic of Kaulifornia won't even let you wash your car in front of your own house or driveway!

Those foot-pump wheels dollies would be ideal for your needs, HF has them, as does Northern Tool (NC & eastern stores or online), & all sorts of FLAPS. You can probably google for the best pricing at various quality levels, but I think that they're probably all Chinese junk from anywhere nowadays!

HF is notorious for crap quality goods - so price theirs with their optional real length warranty (basic is only 30-90 days IIRC), & that's how they make their stuff SEEM cheaper -- then compare that total price vs any others you find with 1-2+ year warranties on their goods (or add if they pull the same BS).

The reason that I suggest the pump up type, is that you can put them under the car only when needed to move it, & then get a set of 4 of those curved tire saver pads to put under the tires to prevent flat-spotting.

If you use the fixed tire dollies, then you need to jack the car every time you want the dollies in & out, which may be tight in your garage, as well as anything but the curved base tire dollies can also give flat spots (at the vee, or bars/pad of the jack-up ones, etc.).

Congrats on the at home garage!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
I had two neighbors that were A-holes. They would bother me about a lot of things and we are all on 3 1/2 acres. Both moved. Now I have one set of neighbors that run a BMW GS motorcycle club. the other races dirt bikes. Both the new set of neighbors think my 914 addiction is cool and offer to help all the time. I take care of the dog at one house (really big friendly pitbull) so if you can find a way to help your neighbors, its sure a lot better than an adversarial relationship.

raynekat
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 12 2018, 11:07 AM) *

Same with me.
With the doors down, I could do just about anything short of using a very loud grinder or anything.
I completely restored an early Vespa while I was in my townhouse.
PanelBilly
I work on mine in a condo garage and my neighbors usually stop by to visit. I keep beer and pop in the fridge as well as a folding chair.
budk
I've had the dolly's from Harbor Freight for 5 years and they still work good.

You can usually catch them on sale for $69 and then use the 20% off coupon. I think the regular price on them is $89.

orthobiz
In the 80's I lived in Manhattan high rise with an unmanned garage in the basement. Used to drag my banana jack and tool chest down 10 flight (in the elevator) all the time. Luckily had a corner spot so occasionally would have the car on jack stands.

One time I lost control of the gas hose while trying to change the fuel filter, dumped 15 gallons of gas on the garage floor, ran to the nearby ER because it got in my ear and when I came back the fire department had been there, flushed the whole area out. And I had left my car out in the middle of a cul de sac.

Never got a citation, a bill, nothing.

Man, those were the days!

Paul

Sorry, guess this didn't really answer your question, just brought back memories!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.