Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 ran hot - Part 3... fixed.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
767driver
This is, hopefully, the last update on my original post about my 914-6 running hot. The other threads are here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=305489&hl=

and here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=311631&hl=

As a review, the car runs a 2.3 making about 165 hp at the wheels. Since those threads Marco and crew at TLG Auto in North Hollywood, CA devised and installed a custom rear-mounted oil cooler setup. We decided to try the rear setup to avoid the cost and invasiveness of going to the front. The cooler is mounted horizontally underneath and parallel to the trunk floor on the right side of the car. There is a thermostatically-controlled fan drawing air down through the cooler. I now have a Hollywood Speedometer gauge with oil temp in degrees and a new sender to ensure compatibility. The oil temp is now controlled MUCH better then before. I just ran this car in Targa Baja and after about 45 minutes of constant 90-115 mph running (mostly in 5th) I saw about 220 degrees. Hard sustained running between 3500 and 6500 in 3rd saw about 190-200 climbing to 210 as elevation increased (going up loooong hill to mountain top). The other big difference now is that when you back out of it it will actually cool down because of the fan. Hopefully this should have the temp issue resolved.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
beerchug.gif
gereed75
Glad that the rear mounted cooler worked. I mounted one also and it is effective, pretty much same engine.

Find out if your guy installed a low temp/hi pressure bypass on the cooler. If not you must be very careful not to over pressure the cooler when oil temps are low and pressure is high.

In my application, with no bypass, I split the oil cooler causing a leak at about 60 PSI during a cold start up. When cold, avoid RPM above idle until temps get up and pressure goes down.

How was Targa Baja??
billsimmeth
Hey, that looks like a great idea! cool.gif smilie_pokal.gif
old914dog
Wes Hildreth did my 3.2 the same way 10 years ago. Texas heat and no problems despite 10.4 compression, cams, chip and headers.
767driver
QUOTE(billsimmeth @ Nov 13 2018, 11:53 AM) *

Hey, that looks like a great idea! cool.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Right you are, Sir!!

Bill blazed this trail prior to me with his 2.7-powered 914-6. While both of our systems share the same basic setup I was told by Marco that mine is plumbed a bit differently. Bill's car probably has about 30-40 more hp than mine does and really goes!
Mblizzard
If you take full advantage of your bolt length and move the unit down a bit you would increase the air flow a bit.
767driver
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Nov 13 2018, 01:10 PM) *

If you take full advantage of your bolt length and move the unit down a bit you would increase the air flow a bit.

True, but it may put the fan closer to the axle and other suspension parts when under full compression.
porschetub
QUOTE(767driver @ Nov 14 2018, 07:26 AM) *

True, but it may put the fan closer to the axle and other suspension parts when under full compression.

Are you still running with the heater ducts connected via the shroud pipes ? have you tried the block off covers (usually fiberglass) appears they help to get more air over the cylinders due to improved air flow,I have them as I didn't see the point of just capping off the ducts and I have no heat exchangers.

Just a thought...however sounds like you have it nailed know beerchug.gif
767driver
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 13 2018, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(767driver @ Nov 14 2018, 07:26 AM) *

Are you still running with the heater ducts connected via the shroud pipes ? have you tried the block off covers (usually fiberglass) appears they help to get more air over the cylinders due to improved air flow,I have them as I didn't see the point of just capping off the ducts and I have no heat exchangers.

Just a thought...however sounds like you have it nailed know beerchug.gif

Actually, putting the missing heater ducts back ON the car was the first step in lowering the oil temps. Heat exchangers need air moving through them or they just become heat sinks. You can remove the heater ducts if you run headers, however.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.