Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sebro 914-4 Vented 4 lug rotors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chi-town
I searched and found a few threads mentioning them but no real info.

Sebro makes a Vented rotor to fit standard 914 wheel bearings and spindles in both 4x130 and 5x130 as you can see here:

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/wheels-brakes/v...30b-13224a.html

And here:

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/wheels-brakes/b...30b-13457a.html

These would use a 911 3" M Caliper that is cheap and easy to get or the rare and expensive Alfa Brembo caliper.

So my question is with the price of 911 struts and hubs going through the roof why isn't anyone bringing these into the US?

Paging @Eric_Shea
914Sixer
This would be an ideal set up IF it works. The caliper offset is my concern. Surely one of the retailer of Sebro rotors could stock them in.
Chi-town
There's an old thread showing that they do work but early cars will need a 5mm spacer on the caliper bolts.
rhodyguy
The better part of $400 for a set of unslotted front rotors. For starters. Not to include shipping or new bearings. Where does one find "cheap" M calipers?
Literati914
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Nov 13 2018, 11:36 PM) *

..Sebro makes a Vented rotor to fit standard 914 wheel bearings and spindles ..

Chi-town, I'm interested for the /4 set up.. but where are you seeing that '68 Ghia rotors will fit 914 spindles ? Got a link (I did a quick look and couldn't find).
Mueller
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Nov 13 2018, 09:36 PM) *

I searched and found a few threads mentioning them but no real info.

Sebro makes a Vented rotor to fit standard 914 wheel bearings and spindles in both 4x130 and 5x130 as you can see here:

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/wheels-brakes/v...30b-13224a.html

And here:

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/wheels-brakes/b...30b-13457a.html

These would use a 911 3" M Caliper that is cheap and easy to get or the rare and expensive Alfa Brembo caliper.

So my question is with the price of 911 struts and hubs going through the roof why isn't anyone bringing these into the US?

Paging @Eric_Shea

Pair of aluminum Alfa calipers in the classifieds as of yesterday.
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 14 2018, 09:48 AM) *

The better part of $400 for a set of unslotted front rotors. For starters. Not to include shipping or new bearings. Where does one find "cheap" M calipers?

Pelican. Those guys dump M calipers to get bigger ones for their 911's. You can usually pick up a set of front cores for $50-100/pr. I bought a set of F&R, restored by PMB for $400. I'll do the 911 E-brake mod with the tangerine e-brake adaptor. The rotors are available from flaps or amazon and 3" 911 struts are still around $300/pr.

M calipers aren't "big" brakes but they are the same size as the 914-6 calipers F&R and getting them on your car doesn't have to cost a fortune.
Chi-town
@Starlack has them on his car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=245444

The bug, Ghia, and 914 use the same spindle dimensions just a different spindle nut.

You wouldn't need 911 struts any longer and like @mepstein said M calipers are cheap because everyone goes to the A and S 3.5" calipers.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 14 2018, 10:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Nov 13 2018, 11:36 PM) *

..Sebro makes a Vented rotor to fit standard 914 wheel bearings and spindles ..

Chi-town, I'm interested for the /4 set up.. but where are you seeing that '68 Ghia rotors will fit 914 spindles ? Got a link (I did a quick look and couldn't find).

Ghia rotors are not vented, I have them on my bug.
IIRC Late ghia rotors are the same as 914/4 (non hub centric), but again they are solid.
Chi-town
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 14 2018, 08:25 AM) *

Ghia rotors are not vented, I have them on my bug.
IIRC Late ghia rotors are the same as 914/4 (non hub centric), but again they are solid.

Correct, factory Ghia and Bug rotors are solid but Sebro makes a vented version that uses an 911 M caliper.

I'm trying to get the part number from them but it may be easier for someone like @Eric_Shea to do since he already deals with them.
Mark Henry
Good luck with that! rolleyes.gif

CSP either found a stock rotor that was close and remachined it, or more likely they had Sebro do a custom run. Just on the price from CSP my bet is it's a custom run.
If was as easy as finding a a part number it would have been found up to 40+ years ago. It can't be a new part number, no one uses the bolt pattern anymore.

If it's a CSP custom order Sebro isn't going to share stromberg.gif with you.
Chi-town
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 14 2018, 10:46 AM) *

Good luck with that! rolleyes.gif

CSP either found a stock rotor that was close and remachined it, or more likely they had Sebro do a custom run. Just on the price from CSP my bet is it's a custom run.
If was as easy as finding a a part number it would have been found up to 40+ years ago. It can't be a new part number, no one uses the bolt pattern anymore.

If it's a CSP custom order Sebro isn't going to share stromberg.gif with you.

I've seen the same rotor with 3 different vendors in Europe all less than CSP's pricing.

I'll call Sebro tonight to see what they say.
Literati914
I've been looking but it seems for some reason, the US market is only interested in cross drilled rotors while Europe is getting all of the vented discs. With the info provided earlier in this thread, the following would be a cheap way to get a 5x130 set up on the front of a 914 with the stock suspension (unfortunately no 4 lug vents tho) .... would it be the worst thing in the world to have cross drilled rotors on a street car? :

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Disc-Brake-Ro...075-porsche.htm

Mark Henry
They could crack over time, but I think your brakes would be getting near done anyways.
I have cross drilled vented rotors on my 914, I got them cheap NIB, IMHO it's just brake bling.
Chi-town
According to what I was told by a brake engineer cross drilled was originally designed for large diameter rotors where the air traveling from the center of the rotor to the outer edge would lose its cooling ability halfway through the rotor so it needed to escape so the rotor edge could cool itself.

It was never meant for non vented or small diameter rotors.

I called Sebro, they don't speak English laugh.gif

I'll call a few dealers tomorrow.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 15 2018, 06:34 PM) *
would it be the worst thing in the world to have cross drilled rotors on a street car?

They can crack, but you'll have to put them through quite a lot of real heat cycles before the metal starts to fatigue.
And i'm talking red hot heat cycles.

When you start seeing spider cracks around the holes, it's time to replace them ...
smash.gif

Literati914
If Sebro is a no-go (and there's only an indication from CSP that the manfr is Sebro) -
Maybe Kerscher or CSP would entertain a group buy, with shipping to the states... and if not, maybe a German proxy could be used. I'm surprised Cip1 etc do not carry these, what with the vintage beetle love in the states.. mexico.
bernbomb914
you can use Volvo 4 pot calipers as they are 3" spacing and they are easy to obtain. they will improve your braking.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 15 2018, 11:06 PM) *

If Sebro is a no-go (and there's only an indication from CSP that the manfr is Sebro) -
Maybe Kerscher or CSP would entertain a group buy, with shipping to the states... and if not, maybe a German proxy could be used. I'm surprised Cip1 etc do not carry these, what with the vintage beetle love in the states.. mexico.

CSP is a bigger outfit with the resources and experience to have had a custom order done by Sebro.
Likely CSP would do a group order, that's who I'd ask and I'd want to know all the details on fitment, which calipers to use, etc.

With Sebro if you had of said you need a custom order of 10K+ units I bet someone could speak english.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.