Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 2.0 with working AC runs great Junk title
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
914ltd
Sold to a knowledgeable buyer.

I have a customer's 1974 black 2.0 with upgraded and working AC. Black with black, great driver, stock fuel injection but junk Illinois title. This car was inspected by Illinois Secretary of State Police several years ago and the numbers had been removed in it's early history. The owner was allowed to keep the car since no proof it had been stolen but was told he would not be able to transfer the title to another owner. I asked that he acquire a junk title so it is being sold as junk only. $4700.

The transaxle and clutch work great, no grinds. The brakes are functional, The drivers window doesn't roll up, some trim parts are off the the car but included, moderate rust in the passenger long but the "hell hole" looks solid.

Thanks for looking. Brad
Chi-town
Pics? Rust?
914ltd
More pics
914ltd
More pics
Chi-town
It's not that bad for a midwest car.

The thing that sucks is you'll never be able to register it anywhere because a junk title is the equivalent of actually being in the junkyard unlike a salvage or rebuilt title.

Probably better parting it out?
mepstein
Part out the good stuff and make a cool track/rally car.
gcrotvik
Brad,

If you decide to part it out, I will take the doors and front/rear deck lids for my original black 74.

Thanks,
Greg
JeffBowlsby
Any yellow paint in the right places? Engine SN? Chassis #?
Mueller
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Nov 14 2018, 02:04 PM) *

The thing that sucks is you'll never be able to register it anywhere because a junk title is the equivalent of actually being in the junkyard unlike a salvage or rebuilt title.

Still has VIN in trunk, could be registered in CA and I'm sure a few other states.
For CA just a few extra pieces of paperwork and a visit with the car to the DMV.
Chi-town
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 16 2018, 10:10 AM) *

Still has VIN in trunk, could be registered in CA and I'm sure a few other states.
For CA just a few extra pieces of paperwork and a visit with the car to the DMV.

CA won't put a junk title back on the road even if a rebuilder tries. I asked them a few years back. If it's written off, salvage, or rebuilt you're good to go, junk is a death sentence.

Even if they would take the junk title, the missing VINs would cause you all kinds of legal issues, see here:

"(a) No person shall knowingly buy, sell, offer for sale, receive, or have in his or her possession, any vehicle, or component part thereof, from which any serial or identification number, including, but not limited to, any number used for registration purposes, that is affixed by the manufacturer to the vehicle or component part, in whatever manner deemed proper by the manufacturer, has been removed, defaced, altered, or destroyed, unless the vehicle or component part has attached thereto an identification number assigned or approved by the department in lieu of the manufacturer’s number."

Full version here:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/co...H§ionNum=10751.

If IL followed the correct procedure it should show as Junk in the federal NVTIS also which means it's federally Junk also. You can check for $6 on checkthatvin.com

Sorry I don't mean to sound like negative nancy here but I got bit by a car like this because of misinformation from a seller (NOT this seller!).
914_teener
The situation is best resolved in IL to be moved to CA.

I just went through this with a salvage title for a 987. I am driving it now. Great car.

If it can be roadworthy or marked as salvage in IL it can be brought to CA.

GLWTS.

87m491
"The thing that sucks is you'll never be able to register it anywhere"

Seems you need to broaden your horizons a bit. Plenty of states don't need a title at all to register a vehicle, just a bill of sale. BTDT many times.

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Nov 14 2018, 02:04 PM) *

Chi-town
QUOTE(87m491 @ Nov 20 2018, 01:22 PM) *

Seems you need to broaden your horizons a bit. Plenty of states don't need a title at all to register a vehicle, just a bill of sale. BTDT many times.

Even if it's coming from another state?
It should come up junk to any DMV that checks the NMVTIS like they're supposed to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.