Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning MPS and Decel Valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
Just wondering what is the best way to clean these and if there's anything I need to make sure NOT to do. For a cosmetic cleaning of the outside I was thinking just some brake cleaner. Debris is visible inside the small port on the decel valve (debris can be seen in the third pic below) and I'm not sure the best way to get it out. Failing any advice to the contrary, I thought I'd gently insert a paper clip and dig it out. (P.S. I did the vacuum, resistance, and continuity tests on the MPS and it looks good).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Small wire brush and elbow grease. Rattle can them, they will look great.
914_7T3
Yes on the elbow grease, but no go on the paint. I opted for very fine steel with some new spacers from 914Sixer and repainted the mounting plate.

Came out great!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
A clear coat will keep them looking good longer. It seems to tarnish rather quickly.
JeffBowlsby
Your bracket is mounted backwards.
doug_b_928
Thanks guys. The wire brush (copper) worked great. I agree on not painting them. Last year when I was doing the pedal cluster the advice was not to clear coat unpainted metal because it peals. The MPS cleaned up easily and really nicely so I think I’ll leave it and just repeat when it gets tarnished. Just waiting for the satin black on the bracket to cure and that will be another job off the list smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.