Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cooling and necessary parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pistonboy
Hello
My friend and I had the heads rebuilt on a motor I have purchased. All thermostat parts have been removed including bellows, wire, rod, and flaps.

I live in a desert and am not worried about cold weather since there is none, but I am concerned about cooling in the hot summer. I wanted to leave these thermostat parts out of the engine. My friend has a friend who is supposedly very familiar with these engines who says we should have the bar and flaps in the engine, but tie them permanently open.

I believe the flaps are at slightly different angles on the rod.

Is there a problem with leaving them out? I do not see a problem.

What is your advice about this?

Thank you.
stevend914
You'll need the flaps to direct air to the oil cooler, especially in the summer
SirAndy
QUOTE(pistonboy @ Nov 14 2018, 08:50 PM) *
Is there a problem with leaving them out? I do not see a problem.

Do a search here, as stated above, without the flaps you will get zero airflow through the stock oil cooler.

If you plan to only do 2 minutes runs every other hour, by all means, go for it ...
shades.gif
Tbrown4x4
It's pretty tough to outsmart a German Engineer. If they didn't think they were necessary, they wouldn't be there.
bbrock
And do NOT tie the flaps "open." The default position of the flaps provides max cooling. Personally, I think it's better to run the thermostat even in warm climates. The system is designed to get the engine up to operating temperature as quickly as possible and then open the flaps to keep it there. That's better for the engine than letting it run cold longer. You can get away with installing the flaps but not the thermostat, but it isn't ideal in any climate.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you HAVE to have the flaps and thermostat installed. The thermostat allows for fast warmups and keeps the engine from building up moisture, the oil cooler flap forces air over the oil cooler.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Nov 15 2018, 04:51 AM) *

It's pretty tough to outsmart a German Engineer. If they didn't think they were necessary, they wouldn't be there.

Say the flaps and T-stat only cost the factory $1 each/set X 120,000 914's, 22 million bugs and I don't how many ghia, T2, T3, T4.

Do you really think VW would spent the coin if it wasn't required?
Do you think you're smarter than the factory engineers?
Dave_Darling
A lot of people seem to; we've seen a whole lot of people who "don't need the damned flaps". They generally are of two types:
- Race car builders who have massively modified cooling systems
- People who later complain about always running hot

Some even fall into both of those camps...

Bottom line: You absolutely MUST have the flaps installed, unless you have completely reworked the whole cooling system. It is best if you have the thermostat hooked up and working correctly, but it is not completely mandatory if you are willing to live with extra wear and tear on the motor.

--DD
914_teener
Got a whole new assembly for you if you need it.

Make me an offer and good luck.

And yes you need it.
914_teener
Got a whole new assembly for you if you need it.

Make me an offer and good luck.

And yes you need it.
Chris914n6
I don't recall at what temp the thermostat opened but it was lower than any temp I would choose to drive the 914.
Cooling flap default, assuming assembled properly with the springs, is wide open. Also directs air to the oil cooler so it needs to be installed.

*there is nothing more over engineered than a German car, which makes for a fat paycheck piratenanner.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 15 2018, 04:06 PM) *

I don't recall at what temp the thermostat opened but it was lower than any temp I would choose to drive the 914.
Cooling flap default, assuming assembled properly with the springs, is wide open. Also directs air to the oil cooler so it needs to be installed.

*there is nothing more over engineered than a German car, which makes for a fat paycheck piratenanner.gif

Must be really hot as hell there. blink.gif

German stat for type IV carb and FI engines, and 4 cylinder Porsche 912 and 914 engines, starts to open at 85-90C (185-194F)

http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/thermosta...ed_rebuilt.html
iankarr
Should we have a "WHY YOU NEED THE COOLING FLAPS" sticky? Methinks maybe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.