Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I remove the small rubber valve seals?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bob Wolcott
Is there a special tool required for removing the small rubber seals that seal the valve step at the top of the valve guide? What is the best procedure for this?

Thanks,
Bob
type47
??? wow, i must have missed that one, are there rubber seals? there is a valve removing tool/jig to allow one to remove the springs. there are split keepers at the top of the valve stem and the jig compresses the spring to allow the keepers to be removed.

are you talking about type IV?
Bob Wolcott
It is an early 911 head and it looks like the seal is retained by a collar or something. Here is a picture

http://oregonstate.edu/~wolcottr/Porsche/H...ad/DSCF0005.JPG

Bob
ejm
The seal and metal ring is one piece and just pressed onto the guide. I've seen special removal tools but you can just carefully pry them off. To install new ones you'll need a drift something like this.
TimT
Yes you can just pry them off woth a screwdriver, yo install use a 13mm socket and extension and tap them on.

The seal pictured is the old style seal, a bakelite sleeve w/oring. The new style is teflon. There is debate which is the better seal, some claim the teflon doenst allow enough oil to the valve stems.

I have used the teflon style on my engines, annd the seem to work fine. The teflon seal will not be included in a typical gasket kit. If you decide to go with the newer tech teflon seals you will need to purchase them seperately.
Bob Wolcott
Are these seals something that can be reused? I want to remove them when I clean the heads but they all appear to be in good condition.

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.