Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Belt Resto
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I'm going to send my belts to SafetyRestore for re-webbing, but first I need to refresh the hardware. Anyone know what finish is used on the chrome(ish) retainers (on the right below)? I can't tell if it is a low level chrome plating or bright zinc. I think chrome which I can have done relatively local.

Click to view attachment

Also, the tags are missing from my belts. I want to replace so the re-webbers can sew them in. Before I follow the route this guy on the Bird did, doesn't anyone know of a source for reproductions?

IPB Image
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...t-belt-tag.html

Finally, which is correct and where does the triangle sticker go?
IPB Image or IPB Image
Tom_T
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 16 2018, 09:57 AM) *

I'm going to send my belts to SafetyRestore for re-webbing, but first I need to refresh the hardware. Anyone know what finish is used on the chrome(ish) retainers (on the right below)? I can't tell if it is a low level chrome plating or bright zinc. I think chrome which I can have done relatively local.

Click to view attachment

Also, the tags are missing from my belts. I want to replace so the re-webbers can sew them in. Before I follow the route this guy on the Bird did, doesn't anyone know of a source for reproductions?

IPB Image

IPB Image or IPB Image

Brent -

1. - The upper belt holder loops are chrome 74-76 MYs (earlier cars used a flat plat with slot which was Cad plated for others reading here), as are the insertion tabs for the buckle unit. Being interior parts, they're probably not a full-on Triple Plating (Copper-Nickel-Chrome), as was done on the bumpers.

And they're not "low level Chrome" - just 45 years old! biggrin.gif

2. - I don't know of anyone making the repro belt tags, so if the the Pelican forum guy has a workable solution, maybe share it in the O&H Forum as a new topic on "Repro Plates, Decals, Markings & Labels" where we can also add other repro's - like SoCalAndy/Andy T's repro VIN Stickers & the "Press" decals.

Hopefully the new O&H Mod can then make it a "Nailed Topic" for O&H.

If anyone else has a source(s) for repro tags, please also post here & in that above noted TBD "Repro Plates, Decals, Markings & Labels" O&H topic.

3. - I'd say that the darker brighter Orange rectangular "PRESS" one is closest to original - so use that type (they fade over time with sun exposure, & whomever made the lighter orange ones probably used a faded one for the color sample).

They were originally a tad lighter than the 914 Phoenix Red (Blood Orange) paint color.

AFAIK those triangle ones don't go on any 914s, & may be for VW &/or AUDIs of the day.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bbrock
Thanks Tom (or should I say... Mr. Moderator laugh.gif )

Poor terminology on "low level chrome." What I meant was industrial chrome as opposed to triple plated. The finish looks much closer to that to me.

I may have a couple leads on seat belt labels I found just now on the Early 911S Registry forum. I emailed the Pelican person to see if he had files he is willing to share. If not, it isn't an easy process and requires chasing down fonts and a lot of tweaking.

I was thinking the same thing on sticker colors. The darker ones are from Carbone but others sell similar. What got me curious was that the orange and yellow triangles is on the Aase Sales site and they claim, "Proper color, best production out there"in the description. Carbone lists their stickers for 72-73 911/914 belts and Aase just claims for 72-73 911. I like Carbone's price a lot better. I wondered if the triangle sticker was placed somewhere they quickly fell off and were lost. I have seen them before but that doesn't mean much.

I'm confused by something though. Why do you say these stickers get sun faded? You mean my bleached peach buttons aren't factory fresh? smile.gif

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Tom our moderator really takes the time to learn his 914 stuff, and gives the most accurate information

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 16 2018, 11:07 AM) *

Thanks Tom (or should I say... Mr. Moderator laugh.gif )

Poor terminology on "low level chrome." What I meant was industrial chrome as opposed to triple plated. The finish looks much closer to that to me.

I may have a couple leads on seat belt labels I found just now on the Early 911S Registry forum. I emailed the Pelican person to see if he had files he is willing to share. If not, it isn't an easy process and requires chasing down fonts and a lot of tweaking.

I was thinking the same thing on sticker colors. The darker ones are from Carbone but others sell similar. What got me curious was that the orange and yellow triangles is on the Aase Sales site and they claim, "Proper color, best production out there"in the description. Carbone lists their stickers for 72-73 911/914 belts and Aase just claims for 72-73 911. I like Carbone's price a lot better. I wondered if the triangle sticker was placed somewhere they quickly fell off and were lost. I have seen them before but that doesn't mean much.

I'm confused by something though. Why do you say these stickers get sun faded? You mean my bleached peach buttons aren't factory fresh? smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Biggles
Deleted post
Rob-O
QUOTE(Biggles @ Nov 17 2018, 04:05 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 16 2018, 05:57 PM) *

Click to view attachment

IPB Image

IPB Image or IPB Image

I made up a load of seat belt labels to match a 1970 belt for my car. I didn’t advertise them as they aren’t quite the right width but the material feels right.if you want some, let me know

Too wide? Or too skinny?
mepstein
Thanks for the tip on SafetyRestore. I’m going to give them a try on some fixed belts once I get the hardware re-chromed.
Biggles
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Nov 17 2018, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Biggles @ Nov 17 2018, 04:05 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 16 2018, 05:57 PM) *

Click to view attachment

IPB Image

IPB Image or IPB Image

I made up a load of seat belt labels to match a 1970 belt for my car. I didn’t advertise them as they aren’t quite the right width but the material feels right.if you want some, let me know

Too wide? Or too skinny?

A bit too wide, only by about 1/8” so nothing really (I’ve amended my post) but can be cut down with a sharp blade and heat sealed to stop them fraying. That’s what I did to mine and they’re perfect.
bbrock
QUOTE(Biggles @ Nov 17 2018, 05:05 AM) *

Very interested! Those look very nice! Was this a one-time batch or is it possible to customize for part number and year?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 17 2018, 07:55 PM) *

Very interested! Those look very nice! Was this a one-time batch or is it possible to customize for part number and year?

Very interested also !
The labels on my NOS belts installed in 1987 are now soiled and frayed.
Especially the drivers.
I need four of the 1970 labels exactly as shown.
TIA
Rory rgalla9146@aol.com
DickSteinkamp
Ssnake Oyl does a turn key job on seat belt restoration (including webbing, buckles, stickers, plating, and hardware). You may want to also consider them. I had them restore some Kangol belts on my MGB and they did a great job.
mepstein
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Nov 18 2018, 10:34 AM) *

Ssnake Oyl does a turn key job on seat belt restoration (including webbing, buckles, stickers, plating, and hardware). You may want to also consider them. I had them restore some Kangol belts on my MGB and they did a great job.

Lot's of mixed reviews on Snake oyl. Some good, some bad.
Larmo63
Try "Stretch," he is the Porsche seat belt guru on 911s.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...at-belt-webbing
Biggles
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 18 2018, 12:55 AM) *

Hi, rgalla9146 and others

i deleted my original post as i now recall (after several years not looking at these) that only one of these labels (lap strap one side) are completely correct for USA cars with no pin striping. The other one is for European cars (shoulder strap) with pin striping which is correct for my car.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 16 2018, 09:57 AM) *

IPB Image or IPB Image

I have not seen the triangle shaped sticker attached to the receiver of a 914 seat belt but to answer your question, here's a picture from the Aase sales site:

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.