Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1,200 Mile 914 coming to auction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Ferg
I knew about this car a little bit ago but kept quiet. It will be interesting to see what this one brings.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/ca18/the...e-914-20/724528
Mueller
drop the front end a little and drive it as is. Wow someone is going to get a great car.
Racer
A pic pof the hellhole will confirm if indeed, they left the factory rusting wink.gif

idk.. 1200 miles? really? kinda sad imho.
db9146
Nice car but with less than 1200 miles, it doesn't look as clean as I would have thought (front bumper, spoiler, engine compartment with broken hose).
Chi-town
1200 miles, you drive that car at all and you'll probably find yourself with a large puddle of oil underneath it as all the dried out seals let go.
Ferg
Pic when found

Ferg
Notice no dealer radio or antennae installed
Mueller
QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 16 2018, 10:11 AM) *

Pic when found

Did someone buy the car, put it in storage and forgot about it? So odd.
Ferg
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 16 2018, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Nov 16 2018, 10:11 AM) *

Pic when found

Did someone buy the car, put it in storage and forgot about it? So odd.

Story on auction site, follow the link.
TravisNeff
I have never seen this before
JeffBowlsby
Not much dust on that car after 40 yrs solitary. I am having trouble connecting the dots on this one.
Chi-town
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 16 2018, 10:37 AM) *

Not much dust on that car after 40 yrs solitary. I am having trouble connecting the dots on this one.

There appears to be marks where someone wiped it off or a car cover was on it?
TravisNeff
If you look at the surrounding stuff in the garage, you can see that the garage floor is not that old. I bet this has been moved around a bit.
John
I was expecting to see a mint condition interior light, but it was missing.

Overall, it does look like it's in nice condition.
SirAndy
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Nov 16 2018, 10:37 AM) *

Just because it was sitting in that garage for 40 years doesn't mean it wasn't wiped off every other year.

Some people are perfectly capable of not letting 40 years of dust accumulate on their cars ...
shades.gif
bretth
Neat and is only 255 numbers away from my 75 made in the same month.
DEC
The shifter knob looks like my 100.000 miles one.... and it is repainted, look at the driverside door opener...but still a nice car
Ferg
QUOTE(DEC @ Nov 16 2018, 12:44 PM) *

The shifter knob looks like my 100.000 miles one.... and it is repainted, look at the driverside door opener...but still a nice car

Good catch on the door handle, didn't notice that.
sixnotfour
I bet the odo doesnt work..I broke both of my 75 yr ...trying to reset while moving..just sayin..

very nice 914...
ndfrigi
QUOTE(bretth @ Nov 16 2018, 11:02 AM) *

Neat and is only 255 numbers away from my 75 made in the same month.

It is 1004 vin numbers earlier on my previous 75 1.8 F.I. Now owned by a member (Stacey) from San Diego.

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
I don't get the high dollar appeal of these "time capsule" cars.

It's a nice thing, but can you drive it? Afraid to put more miles on it? Will it go up in value? Is it an expensive paperweight?

With self driving cars now on the horizon, there may come a day that autonomous cars will be the norm and present day automobiles as we know them will be legislated (especially in Smog Nazi California) off of the roads. What then? What will these things be worth?

I'm enjoying my driving freedom while I can.

Not ranting, I'm just being realistic.
Unpretentious

Well stated Lawrence!
Andyrew
Not sure I understand why it wasnt completely detailed prior to auction pics...

It looks like its had a wash and wipe down...

Also take a look at the dr side headlight. that thing was removed at some point!
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 16 2018, 03:25 PM) *

It's a nice thing, but can you drive it? Afraid to put more miles on it? Will it go up in value? Is it an expensive paperweight?

With self driving cars now on the horizon, there may come a day that autonomous cars will be the norm and present day automobiles as we know them will be legislated (especially in Smog Nazi California) off of the roads. What then what will these things be worth?

I'm enjoying my driving freedom while I can.

There could be some well heeled collector out there that wants it because of the novelty / rarity. and it won't get driven much, but be a museum piece.
Jamie
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 16 2018, 10:35 AM) *

Also the front felt pad under the fuel tank hold down clamp is missing?
Chris914n6
Car definitely spent some time outside. Bumper tops are sun damaged. Streaks on the rocker panels are under the door drains. Rust on the license plate bracket.

Plastic fresh air hoses. Indents in the dash vinyl where the stereo was mounted.

New vacuum hoses and fuel system cleaned, but no new miles..... screwy.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes I noticed the orange on the door latch seal, either buffing compound or paint work. Not very clean for 1200 miles that is for sure, but one can certainly believe the miles looking at the engine and interior. Hopefully someone will purchase who cares enough to return it to original perfection finding a nos front valance and original blower hoses
QUOTE(DEC @ Nov 16 2018, 12:44 PM) *

rgalla9146
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 16 2018, 01:35 PM) *

The work of a radiator shop boiling out the gas tank ?
Unfortunate location and very preventable.
They usually use a hatchet.
Also explains the missing pad on the hold-down strap.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 16 2018, 03:09 PM) *

The work of a radiator shop boiling out the gas tank ?
Unfortunate location and very preventable.
They usually use a hatchet.
Also explains the missing pad on the hold-down strap.

I thought that for a second or so, but the filler hole and the hole for the sender are there. confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 16 2018, 12:25 PM) *

You don't have to--someone out there does, most likely. I know that I'm not the person the car is for, because I would either thrash it to death or be too scared to drive it, but as they say there is a butt for every seat!

With self driving cars now on the horizon, there may come a day that autonomous cars will be the norm and present day automobiles as we know them will be legislated (especially in Smog Nazi California) off of the roads. What then what will these things be worth?

No, you are ranting. biggrin.gif

Realistically, it will be quite a number of years before self-driving cars become the norm. Probably a couple of decades or more. And it will almost certainly take a while longer before the legislators can manage to pass a law removing human-driven cars from the roads, for a wide variety of reasons. I'm pretty sure that won't be happening before I'm dead or too old to enjoy driving. (I'm assuming that I will get Parkinson's like my mom and my grandpa.)

Even then, you'll still be able to take the car to a track or autocross event and thrash it. Which will still be very enjoyable.

--DD
Amphicar770
This will be bought by a 1 percenter who will park it next to the other pieces of jewelry, I mean cars, in his collection. His mistress will think it is cute. His accountant will ensure that the whole buying price is a write off paid for by the "middle class tax cut".
Larmo63
Realistically, it will be quite a number of years before self-driving cars become the norm. Probably a couple of decades or more. And it will almost certainly take a while longer before the legislators can manage to pass a law removing human-driven cars from the roads, for a wide variety of reasons. I'm pretty sure that won't be happening before I'm dead or too old to enjoy driving. (I'm assuming that I will get Parkinson's like my mom and my grandpa.)

Even then, you'll still be able to take the car to a track or autocross event and thrash it. Which will still be very enjoyable.

I think I was (semi-) ranting. chair.gif

I know you're right, at our age, we'll probably make it just under the line. Then things will get really weird.
pete000
Looks more like 101141 miles to me...
Mark Henry

I have.
My bet is they had a bunch of tanks made up for gas heaters, the option didn't sell well and the factory welded it up to use up inventory.
That area is about the right spot for the GH fuel outlet bung, I've also see this done on VW bug tanks.
rhodyguy
While we're picking this one apart, the protective cap for brake fluid reservoir is absent. Just like most 914s. Not to be confused with 914S. Smog Nazis...funny.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 17 2018, 06:34 AM) *

I have.
My bet is they had a bunch of tanks made up for gas heaters, the option didn't sell well and the factory welded it up to use up inventory.
That area is about the right spot for the GH fuel outlet bung, I've also see this done on VW bug tanks.

Thanks Mark, I learned something new.

dcheek
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 16 2018, 12:43 PM) *

Not sure I understand why it wasnt completely detailed prior to auction pics...

It looks like its had a wash and wipe down...

Also take a look at the dr side headlight. that thing was removed at some point!

It would take many hours of cleaning, polishing, removing parts to bring this car back to its glory days. In other words $$$$$$$$. Auction houses use "Barn Find" as a pass to ignore the necessary detailing.

Dave
914Sixer
Having lots of problems with this one. shades.gif
Front yard mechanic
Like most cars sent to the albuquerque market this one has some bastard things but overall a very nice well preserved example I wish it were mine chowtime.gif
914Next
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 17 2018, 08:40 AM) *

While we're picking this one apart, the protective cap for brake fluid reservoir is absent. Just like most 914s. Not to be confused with 914S. Smog Nazis...funny.

There was never a protective cap that came from the factory was there?
Valy
I found a few things strange, some already mentioned:
- missing interior light. Where did it go after 1200 miles?
- are the broken hot air hoses in the engine department original?
- I thought 75 had EGR lights on the gauges cluster. This one doesn't.
- It looks like the car had the radio recently removed as the vinyl still carries the imprint. Why was it removed?
porschetub
No ,something isn't right with this one,we have all seen others with low mileage and they have all looked better than this one.
JeffBowlsby
A 75-76 49-state car would not have the EGR or CAT dash lights, only the cars originally sold into the CA-market had these.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 17 2018, 01:45 PM) *

No ,something isn't right with this one,we have all seen others with low mileage and they have all looked better than this one.

Probably none of us are going to be buying this thing. I'm interested in what price it brings. lets leave the issues to the new buyer and watch the show.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Nov 17 2018, 03:41 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 17 2018, 01:45 PM) *

Probably none of us are going to be buying this thing. I'm interested in what price it brings. lets leave the issues to the new buyer and watch the show.

No harm in educated critiques.
sixnotfour
my version....
He did buy it for his girl friend , she drove it ...fender bender ...got repaired ...he was so pissed he gave her his truck,, then dumped her....he drove it a bit but hated it ,,,, parked it ...

then dumped her..reality - she dumped him

kept it out of spite..realty- kept it in hope of her return

preach
Any word on this auction?
KELTY360
Reportedly hammered fpr $70k.
sixnotfour
yes sir

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/ca18/the...e-914-20/724528
rhodyguy
SUPER WOW! blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.