Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master Cylinder Rubber Grommet Seating Tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
My 17yr old son and I replaced the MC with a new one last week - since it was VERY cold here in New England we may have not taken the care the job deserved. Once installed I noticed that there was leaking from the reservoir hoses, the grommets seemed to have pulled loose.
Click to view attachment
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Nov 16 2018, 02:28 PM) *

My 17yr old son and I replaced the MC with a new one last week - since it was VERY cold here in New England we may have not taken the care the job deserved. Once installed I noticed that there was leaking from the reservoir hoses, the grommets seemed to have pulled loose.
Click to view attachment

We developed this tool to tighten the grommet.

Nice welding by my 17yr old son - will let you know if this invention works. No, it will not go into production!

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Did you install the metal washer under the grommet. It’s ok to reuse the old ones if your new MC didn’t include them but they have to be installed. They go in first.
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 16 2018, 02:31 PM) *

Did you install the metal washer under the grommet. It’s ok to reuse the old ones if your new MC didn’t include them but they have to be installed. They go in first.

Hhhmmm, bought the MC from a reputable vendor. Took out the grommets to get the pipes in place.....did not see the washers - will check with the vendor.
IronHillRestorations
Usually the washers are in a plastic bag, separately, in the box with the master cyl.

I use a M11 flare wrench to push the grommets down
mepstein
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Nov 16 2018, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 16 2018, 02:31 PM) *

Hhhmmm, bought the MC from a reputable vendor. Took out the grommets to get the pipes in place.....did not see the washers - will check with the vendor.

Some MC's include them, some don't. Doesn't matter. You need them under the bushing or it will leak.
Mikey914
This is the reason I developed the alternate version of the Master cylinder that does not use the rubber grommets. these are troublesome to install and yes a pain in the butt to do.
One disconnect we have had is the basic master cylinder did not get shipped with the washers, as we were working out the details of the manufacture with the idea that we would make only the one version. It was a n afterthought to make a less expensive stock option. We intended to source or produce the washers but this didn't happen.
We are in the process of doing that now. Still the easy install kit solves this problem, but if you want a "stock" solution we will be starting to include shortly.

ctc911ctc

Click to view attachment

****UPDATE*****

OK, Here is the update. Using a combination of the screwdriver bent into a 180-degree tool (as described in the Bird site - tech notes) and the pliers I showed above, the pipe are in and seated. Went around the car and bled the brakes......oops, ran out of fluid in the reservoir , go around the car again......

I wonder if I should bleed BOTH nipples? YUP, lots of air in the other one. Around the car again.....OUT OF BRAKE FLUID......to the store, got two more bottles.......Around the car again.......Check the underside - any leakage from the grommets? Nope, all dry...Peddle is getting firmer......but gets squishy when held down......Checked all of the nipples, DARN one of them is leaking and is tight......(yes they are all new) may have to use plumbers teflon tape...........too cold for another pass, more tomorrow....

Hope there are washers in the MC, it did come with the grommets installed -----

More to come!
mepstein
No teflon tape. Did you actually check to see the washers are in or are you just hoping.
yellowporky
Thank you for starting this thread and Mepstein for making it clear about the need for the washers. I too purchased and installed the 914 rubber m/c that came with the rubber grommets installed so i too assumed that the washers were in there. At least this was caught before adding fluid.
I know i should have looked.
I want to bump this so others do not waste their time installing and reinstalling as i did.
mepstein
If it's just hard to install the lines, the washers are missing. If it's really a bitch, the washers are there. biggrin.gif

One member here lost the paint on his real 6 when he parked his 4 on a lift over the 6. The washers were missing, the lines wept fluid and ruined the paint.
ctc911ctc
********UPDATE*********

Fixed all of the leaks, the grommets are in as far as I believe they will go. Re-bled the system. No bubbles, went around twice. Hooked up the emergency brakes, tight, tight, tight! Put the tires on and drove the car down the street and back.

First time the car has moved on it's own power since '84.

TWO OBSERVATIONS - any comments or direction are appreciated.

1. Rear brakes are too tight (dragging) so I need to adjust "venting clearance" ? Correct?
2. Brake pedal travels half-way on the first push, high and tight on the second. Need guidance here - what should I look at first?

Thank you all 914W gurus.

CTC911CTC

Click to view attachment

BeatNavy
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Nov 19 2018, 09:55 AM) *

1. Rear brakes are too tight (dragging) so I need to adjust "venting clearance" ? Correct?

Yes: this is helpful: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90625

2. Brake pedal travels half-way on the first push, high and tight on the second. Need guidance here - what should I look at first?

Did you bench bleed the new MC? I haven't had to do that (then again I've yet to put a brand new MC in a car), but I've read it may be required. Also, I have had good success with the pressure bleeders. Bleeding the 914 can be notoriously finicky.
ctc911ctc
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 19 2018, 11:18 AM) *

Yes: this is helpful: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90625

Did you bench bleed the new MC? I haven't had to do that (then again I've yet to put a brand new MC in a car), but I've read it may be required. Also, I have had good success with the pressure bleeders. Bleeding the 914 can be notoriously finicky.

I followed the procedure in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOSer774NqM) - perhaps there is still air in the MC???? Is this your thought?

Thanks!
BeatNavy
Yes, that's the procedure to which I'm referring - if you followed Ian's video, hopefully there is no more air in the MC. There are number of threads here about the difficulty of getting the system completely bled and getting the closest thing to a rock solid pedal. There may still be air in some difficult to remove parts of the system.

One suggestion is actuating the parking brake while pumping the pedal.

Do a search here to see what makes the most sense.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.