Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best way to replace exhaust studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
huh.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif sad.gif mad.gif barf.gif smash.gif ar15.gif boldblue.gif headbang.gif beer3.gif

im pissed

exhaust stud broken on one cyl...(now i think i know why the PO[of engine] left this......)both sides. I have two studs i wiggled out of the 2.0 head. but the 1.7 studs in the engine are TIGHT! should i shoot it with a touch...?
spare time toys
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 18 2005, 07:28 PM)
both sides. I have two studs i wiggled out of the 2.0 head. but the 1.7 studs in the engine are TIGHT! should i shoot it with a touch...?

This is how I did the 928 heads. Heat around the stud with a beutain torch get it good and warm then put paraphin wax at the base of it. It wicks the wax into the threads and they come out with ease. My heads were on the bench though but two of them had already snapped off they were so stuck. It should work installed. Whats up with the two different style heads confused24.gif
bd1308
i have two different engines. a 2.0 (which is dead...R.I.P) and my 1.7 (gas sipper and a lil' quirky)....2.0 served as donor for parts i didn't have for the 1.7....
rickso71
Any idea where to find exhaust studs? I thought Peilcan would have them but they don't appear to.
Brando
Get a torch, heat the stud until it's red hot, get a stud puller on it and take it out.

"Hotwrench method" works every time.

PS: Don't melt the stud.
Jake Raby
BTW- I just bought 2,000 of each type of exhaust stud- If you need some lemme know!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.