Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will this 6-er work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
Here's the story...

Samson and I went to the Stoddard Porsche Swap Meet today, and there amungst the junk, I found a motor...

1973-1/2 2.4t motor.
35,000 miles...documented. (He spent WAY more time that I wanted showing me all the docs on the motor.)
All the CIS is attached, and intact.
Motor was pulled in 84 and has been sitting.
Turned over when I used a wrench on it...not a TON of force needed to turn it.
$2,000.

I'll upload pics when I can find the cable, but I took a bunch of it...I figer I'll get you all started 'harumph-ing'
TimT
Sure it will work...

but Id break down, inspect, refresh, an engine that has sat for more than 20 years..

Id pay $500 or so

you can buy long block 3.2s for $2500

and short block 3.6 for $4500
Trekkor
I'd be concerned about the condition of the valve springs.
Some have been compressed fully and partially for all this time.

If the motor had been run for a few minutes every few months since storage, it would be it perfect shape.

Make an offer with the idea that new springs at minimum will be needed.

( I'd run it first though ) lol2.gif

KT
Red-Beard
I spent $200 + $200 shipping plus $2600 on a rebuild of a 2.2t.

Sold it for $2000, as a long block. It was a well done rebuilt T.

You have a core plus all of the accessories. I would reccomend a rebuild. $2000 is a lot for a core, even if it has everything. I'd buy a 2.7 core and have it rebuilt right, like DR. Evil did.

Of course, he got a deal on the motor.... wink.gif
sixnotfour
agree.gif
Has the elusive 7R 92mm Case.

Did you see Jon Lowe's 914-6 Rolling Chassis in the cars for sale ?
You were looking for a 6 project. beer.gif
anthony
35,000 miles...documented.

This kind of stuff pegs my BS meter. I can't image many people pulling a perfectly running engine from any 35K mile car. People tend to pull motors when there are problems. And he carefully kept all these documents for 20 years while this motor sat on the floor?

Unless you can get it cheap, it's not going to be worth the hassle IMO.

And why bother with all the trouble of a six conversion only to put in a 140hp 2.4T engine. You could build a 2270 type 4 for less than the conversion plus engine and the 2270 would smoke the 2.4T.
mihai914
If you're planning on keeping the CIS, usually fuel distributors don't like being kept out of fuel for long periods. You should take that into account also.
CptTripps
I guess the guy pulled it in the 80s to do a Miami Vice-ish slant-nose turbo deal...then gave up on it.

Guess I don't need to post pics of anything then...thanks for the advise.

I *DID* buy a Vespa today though. mueba.gif
Joe Bob
Dude....it's a core.....unless they have paperwork and a back up that it's gonna suck the chrome off a trailer hitch....it's 500 bucks worth of parts....now if it had MFI on it....another story.
McMark
Post pictures of the Vespa! biggrin.gif
Al Meredith
I bought a 2.4L T about a year ago and it was MFI not CIS. The one I bought sat for 10 years and fired right up, I installed carbs before I tried to start it. Took it to the rear wheel dyno and pulled 160HP at 6000. After pulling it apart we found 87.5MM high dombed pistons, polished rods, dovetailed case and a severely lightened flywheel. Although it still has the T cams. Two of the barrels were broken so a complete rebuild is in process now. We plan to use the pistons over but can't find these rare cylinders so have ordered "nickies" We also had G40 cams ground from new billets. The comments about the springs having sat compressed for a long time is advice we took as well and we are installing new springs. Should make 200HP
CptTripps
Post pictures of the Vespa!

When it's all together next week, I'll post a bunch...

It's a 1973 Vespa 150 Sprint Veloce. Should be fun....it'll be Saturn Yellow in no time. wink.gif
Dead Air
Patience, patience,
To go to all the trouble to put in a six...sheet metal, 911 hubs..buy a 3.0 instead. You can find a four that's a 2.4...
Spend a year doing the body and a nice six will show up.
How is new to 914?
are we set for this coming weekend? dinner? vacsonations?
a ride in the country?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (mihai914 @ Jun 18 2005, 06:10 PM)
If you're planning on keeping the CIS, usually fuel distributors don't like being kept out of fuel for long periods. You should take that into account also.

True. AND you have to consider the fact that virtually EVERYTHING in the induction system is one-year-only stuff. Make that 6 months only. None of the major components have been available for years. Like 20 years. And with those funny pistons, you can't really cam it for carbs. The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
this is where the distinction between "value" and "market value" comes in.

that engine could be worth a lot, intact, to someone hoping to restore a 73.5T. it is rare, and could be worth a lot to those few people who are looking for *exactly* that.

as the others have mentioned, IMO, it's only good for going into a restoration car - it's not a good candidate for use as an engine. it was nice enough, in its intended purpose, in its day. that day was a long time ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.