Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is my car worth ???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
sooooo, if i were to sell my car (not saying i am going to)(yet) ...

what do you think i could get for it? assuming i get it all cleaned up (paint buffed out again) and get all the goodies installed (rollerbearings, new wheels & tires, new shocks etc.) ...

for those of you who don't know the car, i went through a pretty extensive restauration 3 years ago, spend well over $20k on the car so far.
you can read about it here, click on the url then on the "Pictures" link ...
http://www.sirandy.com/projects/cars/

here is what you would get:

- 1970 914-4
- extensive restauration done 3 years ago, all rust taken car off (wasn't much to begin with), replaced rear clip, new seals, new main wire harness
- warmed over 2056 (Bad Boy™), 96mm KB Pistons, dual webers 44 IDF, MSD ign. + dizzy, EuroRace "H" Cam, 9:1 Compression, Tuna Can Oil Sump, 911 rockers, and tons of other goodies. FAST ...
- 916 Bodykit, flares and bumpers and spoiler and flared rockers all molded in
- SSI Stainless Steel Heat Exchangers, MANTA Performance Muffler (car got HEAT)
- sideshifter 901 transmission, Sachs Racing Clutch, light flywheel
- fresh paint, Guards Red (911 color, L 80 K)
- full rollcage by "TC-Designfab", PCA, POC, PRC, SCCA legal
- 911 Style Carbon-Fiber Dash from "Getty", 911 gauge cluster
- Street wheels & tires: 8" x 16 Ronal Alloy with 225/50 x 16 front, 9" x 16 Ronal Alloy with 245/45 x 16 rear
- Trackwheels & tires: 7x15 "Cookie Cutter" with GoodYear R250 23.0x9x15 Racing Slicks all around
- RennShift performance shifter
- custom chrome shift knob
- center console
- high torque starter
- GT style engile lid
- brand new factory relay board
- clutch tube reinforcement
- 350mm momo prototypo steering wheel
- moveable pass. seat
- brand new carpet, new dash and doorpanel vinyl

front suspension:
- Complete 911 Carrera ('86) front Suspension with Steel Cross-Member
- turbo tie rods
- bump steer kit
- 22mm Tarett Sway-Bar
- 19mm Master Brake Cylinder (911)
- Vented and cross-drilled 911 Carrera Rotors, Carrera Calipers (freshly rebuild), new brake pads
- Boge shocks
- 70mm wheel studs with various spacers

rear suspension:
- new trailing arms (powdercoated yellow) with mueller rollerbearings and new wheel bearings
- 914-6 Stub Axles with 911 Hubs
- 100mm wheel studs with various spacers
- Vented and cross-drilled 911 Carrera Rotors, Carrera Calipers (freshly rebuild), new brake pads
- Adjustable Bilstein Shocks with 180lbs progressive Springs
- 911 style handbrake setup

everything works, all mechanicals, all electrical
i think that's it. oh yeah, i also won the "Best Custom" award at the WCC '04 show & shine smile.gif

so, what'ch'ya'all think?
idea.gif Andy

some pics:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
J P Stein
IMO, it's easy to find out what your car is worth.
Put it on the bay. Set a high reserve and let'er rip.
neo914-6
you forgot to mention the direct from Porsche Guard's red paint! biggrin.gif

Joe Bob
Based on MY opinion....8-10K. Of course you WILL be beat on and abused by tire kickers and maroons......

20K is a decent investment. I had over 39K (and stopped counting) in a 914/6 and had gnarly extra parts, fixes from hell, and was honest about how I beat the crap out of it ,broke it and made it better...Bradholio even made a comment...you ain't gonna sell it 'cause you documented yer fuck ups.....

Who cares....I had fun.........got 12K for it....I threw every bad boy part from hell at it. I learned a lot. The buyer got a hell of a deal......unless you are a savvy buyer you won't get what ya put into it....but you will have a ball buster of a time....

YMMV
lapuwali
Considering getting out of 914s, or are you just planning on starting over again with another basket case? Bored with this one now that it's "done"?

$8-10K sounds like the right ballpark. Even then, you'd have to find the right buyer. Custom cars are always harder to sell for "full" price.
jonwatts
Why are you selling?

Or, if you want to play the word game, why are you not selling (yet)?

Dead Air
Sir Andy,
You may have been the first person that ever replied to me on this club...And I'm glad for that. But I gotta tell ya..With all due respect..That front air dam stuck on the front of your car looks like...something stuck on the front of your car. It looks like a peice of plastic stuck on the front of your car.
I know, It's a 916 thing. It looks like a snow plow. A cattle catcher on a steam engine. A butterfly, disected and sprayed with resin. It looks cheap. We all know it's not a real 916, so why play 916?
The fenders are cool, the interior is cool. The wing on the back looks cool.
But that thing on the front...And body colored? I really don't know, It's over the top.
Everytime I see it. I'm like "look at that thing stuck on the front of that car."
It's like "pimp my 914"
It sticks out in all different directions. There's no "line" to it.
It makes me wonder..."was the car hit?" What did you do to the bumper? Is there anyway to make the car look "redder"?
It reminds me of a GM car between '78 and '84. Nobody's sure how to do this 5 MPH thing so just make it out of plastic and....
Clean up the front end and I'll give you ...
$50?-$60???
I really don't know
Joe Bob
Yeah I agree...my first ride had the 916 front and rear f/g pieces....I sold them and went with a more traditional treatment.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ Jun 18 2005, 08:58 PM)
That front air dam stuck on the front of your car looks like...

the good thing about personal taste is, well, it's "personal" ... wink.gif
i happen to like it. very much so. wub.gif

the reason i'm asking ... i'm seriously thinking about going /6. factory original /6 that is ...
cool.gif Andy
David_S
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 18 2005, 11:03 PM)
the good thing about personal taste is, well, it's "personal" ... wink.gif
i happen to like it. very much so. wub.gif

I happen to like it so much also that I have done mine also ........ only mine isn't going to be red !
vortrex
well...if you said the $50k pro resto with raby motor car was not worth $15k, I would say your car is probably worth $7-8k.
Dead Air
manchmal erhalten wir nicht die Sachen, die wir wünschen und manchmal mögen wir nicht die Sachen wir erhalten.
ferstain? beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jun 18 2005, 08:39 PM)
$8-10K sounds like the right ballpark.

ok ...

2 votes for $8k - $10k
1 vote for <$100

anyone else got an opinion ??? idea.gif

any takers? make me an offer!
smile.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jun 18 2005, 09:28 PM)
well...if you said the $50k pro resto with raby motor car was not worth $15k, I would say your car is probably worth $7-8k.

dude, why don't you go back and READ my post ...

confused24.gif Andy
tod914
Andy, just want to compliment you on your car. Really looks nice. $9-11K I'll up the anti for yah tongue.gif. I might of missed it, but how many miles do you have on your motor/car since the resto? First time I seen the a rear spoiler used with out the end caps. Nice touch.
Trekkor
"In the future we'll all have SIXES"... mueba.gif

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE (tod914 @ Jun 18 2005, 09:41 PM)
I might of missed it, but how many miles do you have on your motor/car since the resto?

not sure exactly (didn't keep track) ...

since the car is back on the street i'd say 2k miles max. on the car.
the engine has even less (used to drive it with my old 1.8L for quite a while), i'd say less than 1000 miles on the engine ...

wink.gif Andy
McMark
Wow, this thread is getting stupid. wacko.gif $50-$60 for his car? Why would you even say that? rolleyes.gif

It's an $8k car, no problem. I could see it getting to $10k with the right buyer. Lots of upgrades, looks great and runs great. What more could you ask for?
SirAndy
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 18 2005, 09:29 PM)
any takers? make me an offer!

1 vote for $9k - $11k
3 votes for $8k - $10k
1 vote for <$100

keep 'em coming ...
boldblue.gif Andy
Porsche Rescue
Wasn't the car voted best of class (can't remember which class) at WCC 04? Certainly ought to be in the 8-10 range.
mikerose
QUOTE (McMark @ Jun 18 2005, 08:47 PM)
It's an $8k car, no problem. I could see it getting to $10k with the right buyer. Lots of upgrades, looks great and runs great. What more could you ask for?

boldblue.gif $8k to 10K easy Very nice car.

Mike cool_shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 18 2005, 09:55 PM)
keep 'em coming ...

1 vote for $9k - $11k
5 votes for $8k - $10k
1 vote for <$100

i'm starting to see a trend here ...
boldblue.gif Andy

PS: PM me if you have wads of cash to throw my way!
grantsfo
$8K ...Do you take Visa? biggrin.gif I think your car looks great!
Joe Bob
I think he HAS a visa.... cool_shades.gif

except for the VIN number thing...why do you want a REAL 914/6????

We all know a stock 914/6 was a de-tunded 911T with barely 100 hp and a gud 2.0/4 will kick it;s ass in AX?????

I've owned three original sixes and they were...YAWN.....nice fun stock...YAWN.....

C'mon spill the beans dude....
SirAndy
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jun 18 2005, 10:06 PM)
Do you take Visa?

Visa, Foodstamps, First Born ... all works for me ... biggrin.gif

2 vote for $9k - $11k
6 votes for $8k - $10k
1 vote for <$100

common guys, help me out here ... maybe i should have started a poll instead ...
idea.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE ("*" @ Jun 18 2005, 10:11 PM)
We all know a stock 914/6 was a de-tunded 911T with barely 100 hp and a gud 2.0/4 will kick it;s ass in AX?????
I've owned three original sixes and they were...YAWN.....nice fun stock...YAWN.....

how about an original m471 914/6 that hasn't been driven in 25 years and happens to be complete *except* the engine (hint, hint, hint) ...

wub.gif Andy
scruz914
Does this sound familiar?
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 10 2005, 09:08 AM)

.....yes, i have over $20k in my car and i know i will *never* be able to get that back. not even half.
Andy

Sounds like you already have a number between $7k and $9k in mind.

Has anyone started, or thought of starting, a comparison list of 914s sold? It would be helpful as a reference to identify a starting number based on actual sales. Something like comparisons on real estate appraisals.

-Jeff
Trekkor
Just put a big SIX in that *secret* racecar you have...

Keep your Little Girl for streetin'.

KT
tod914
wow nice find.... you mean your red car isnt posted in the classifieds yet????
scruz914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 18 2005, 10:14 PM)
how about an original m471 914/6 that hasn't been driven in 25 years and happens to be complete *except* the engine (hint, hint, hint) ...

wub.gif  Andy

Are you thinking of putting Raby 4 in it? laugh.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 18 2005, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE ("*" @ Jun 18 2005, 10:11 PM)

wub.gif Andy

OHHHHH, THAT one.....I would be afraid to drive it, let alone track it.....

ME? I beat on 914s for fun..that one is not one ya want to toss in a corner and bump fenders with Joe Bob DUmbfuchs from Decatur GA.....

If you can get it for a gud price go for it...surprised the owner is selling.... wacko.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (scruz914 @ Jun 18 2005, 10:18 PM)
Sounds like you already have a number between $7k and $9k in mind.

well, this thread is not about what i have in mind (or not).

i'd like to see what *YOU* guys think the car is worth.

after all, it was *you guys* that told me i was completely out of line when i made my comments about resale values of 914-4s in that other thread.

now is the time to prove me wrong! (so far, you haven't)
beerchug.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jun 18 2005, 10:19 PM)
Just put a big SIX in that *secret* racecar you have...
Keep your Little Girl for streetin'.

nope, the "Nieselony and Blyholder Killer™" will have no more than a 2.0L /4 !

biggrin.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE ("*" @ Jun 18 2005, 10:21 PM)
I would be afraid to drive it, let alone track it.....

no, i wouldn't track it either ...

cool.gif Andy
markb
agree.gif with a value of 10k. But then, what do I know? wink.gif
Porsche Rescue
Ebay is the place in my opinion. Few cars sell here 'cause we all have one.....or two.......or three. I have had very good luck with Ebay. Most times the car sells before the end of the auction for an agreed upon price or sells later if it doesn't meet reserve. It is world-wide advertising for less than an ad in the local paper. I have shipped two 911's to Europe, a 928 to Missouri . All were done through Ebay.
Britain Smith
QUOTE (McMark @ Jun 18 2005, 09:47 PM)
Wow, this thread is getting stupid. wacko.gif $50-$60 for his car? Why would you even say that? rolleyes.gif

After looking at this reply, I really think he mean't to say $5K-$6K.

In my opinion, which is only my opinion, Andy's car is one that has a whole lot of time and money in it and it built to look like what Andy wants it to look like. There are several people who will look at it and not like certain features, the same way that people view my turbo 912 project. There are also some parts of the car that could have been done differently or better, but again I have several parts of my project that have turned out that way. To the right buyer, I think that Andy's car could be worth ~$8.5K. In reality , I believe that it would probably turn into an AX or DE car due to the full cage, suspension goodies, and the hot motor.

-Britain
GWN7
Was sind Sie Nüsse? Sie erhalten ihn schließlich nach rechts laufend und jetzt möchten Sie ihn für eine anderen Kopfschmerzen entleeren? Es sei denn es ein 3,6 Liter 6.... ist

hang on to it and get the "other" car if you can.......
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 18 2005, 10:11 PM)
Visa, Foodstamps, First Born ... all works for me ...  :D

3 votes for $9k - $11k
7 votes for $8k - $10k
1 vote for <$100

mmhmmmm
cool_shades.gif Andy
Verruckt
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 18 2005, 10:03 PM)

the reason i'm asking ... i'm seriously thinking about going /6. factory original /6 that is ...
cool.gif  Andy

Please tell us you are not going to become a CW? ohmy.gif

Stay away from the dark side... unsure.gif

J/K Your car should sell fast. I know you won't get what you want for it, but I think you could get 5 digits for it. Throw in a pair of camo shorts and a DK shirt wink.gif
Verruckt
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 18 2005, 11:14 PM)

wub.gif Andy

Holy Shit! You are going off the CW deep end huh!!! lol2.gif

Is it the one that was recently talked about on here? That would so rock aktion035.gif
VegasRacer
Before I read beyond your original question, $8 - $10 K was the figure I had in mind. I have seen the car. Es is sehr nett.

I was worried at first when you said you wanted an original 914/6. I am sure you would not be happy with a bone stock one after this fine red machine. Then you mentioned a M471. That is a completely different animal.

I guess it depends on how big of a hurry you are in to sell. You would probably have buyers lined up at $7 K. Finding the right person who was willing to spend $9+ K might take a little time.

As far as "what is it worth"? If you can find the right person who has the same vision as you, they should think $12 K was a cheap price.
redshift
I'd give $9k for John's car.

M
balljoint
Yes Randy,

Mit all the goodies on that car I would say you are in the $15K range, that is what your car is worth.

As previously stated you have shrunk your potential customer base with some of the special things that you have done...and the car really is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If I were selling that car, I wouldn't take anything less than $10K for it.

Bon chance.
SLITS
It ain't worth nuthin unless someone wants it!

Ask for the price you want....take whatever comes closest that you are comfortable with.

Sorry, no Dollar, Mark, Yen, Pound, etc., evaluation on this end.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.