Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Argh, The good with the bad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric Taylor
We'll today was a productive day in my 914 world. Got a bunch of new hoses and seals put in to hopefully take care of my vaccum leak. Bunch of running around and probably 4 hrs of work today, but it felt good as I know things were getting taken care of properly. Anyway so I go to start it and see what I fould up smile.gif and the car won't turn over. dry.gif . Great, so I did the screwdriver thing and got the starter to engage, and I switched the battery with a known good one and that did nothing as well. I know the battery has a full charger as I just checked it today, and recharged it. So what do you guys think it could be? kinda a bitter sweet day, but I guess tomorrow will tell more.
Eric
Aaron Cox
solenoid? starter?

got any spares? its a 15 minute fix if you do...
Porsche Rescue
Check the ground strap between the tranny and the trunk floor. Take it loose from the body, use some sand paper on the contact point and re-attach.

It could also be the ignition switch. I had that problem on a '74. The electrical switch under the key is plastic and they crack. No or poor connection is made when you turn the key to the start position. New switch is less than $15 from Pelican. Have to remove wheel, signal/washer switches to get it out. Pelican tech article shows how. Early switch is different and much more rare/costly. Not sure if '72 is early or late version. Maybe you could swap from your 2.0.
redshift
Sorry... it's the 72 you have in your sig?

M
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jun 18 2005, 10:01 PM)
Check the ground strap between the tranny and the trunk floor. Take it loose from the body, use some sand paper on the contact point and re-attach.

It could also be the ignition switch. I had that problem on a '74. The electrical switch under the key is plastic and they crack. No or poor connection is made when you turn the key to the start position. New switch is less than $15 from Pelican. Have to remove wheel, signal/washer switches to get it out. Pelican tech article shows how. Early switch is different and much more rare/costly. Not sure if '72 is early or late version. Maybe you could swap from your 2.0.

"Ignition switch"? Come on, if he can't start it with a jumper, how's the switch gonna matter? To answer the original post, are you jumping from the battery cable post to the spade lug near the top of the solenoid? The one where the yellow wire attaches? Lotsa people seem to think you jumper between the 2 large posts, which will make the starter spin, but not engage the flywheel. That ain't gonna get it ......... The Cap'n
Porsche Rescue
Cap'n, I read him saying he used a screwdriver to jump at solenoid and got starter to engage. Seems to me ignition switch could be a possibility.
SLITS
agree.gif

block the wheels, neutral, turn key on, jump the starter...if it starts or fires, look at the switch or wiring to the solenoid (and grounds)

or

2nd person in car....VOM.....take yellow wire and check for 12V when key is turned to "start"...no 12V...bad switch or wiring.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jun 19 2005, 07:05 AM)
Cap'n, I read him saying he used a screwdriver to jump at solenoid and got starter to engage. Seems to me ignition switch could be a possibility.

We're having a "bad language day" here. My apologies for my last post. Lotsa bad and contradictory data here. If the title is "Starter won't engage", but he says he got it to engage with a screwdriver, why did he then sub in another battery? That's like changing out 4 perfectly good tires because the car won't roll. If the grounds were bad, why would the starter engage with a screwdriver? By "engage", does that mean the engine won't crank over, or that the starter will spin but not make flywheel contact? Is the plug on the relay board plugged in right? Is the yellow wire attached to the lug on the starter? If it worked before, I'd suspect something got molested when the work was underway. The Cap'n
Porsche Rescue
Yep, ground not likely a problem if starter turns. However I was thinking maybe it was a "sometime" problem and weak ground can do that.
Joe Bob
It can be the switch if it doesn't turn over HOT or COLD.....if it dosen't turn over when HOT only....it's the famous solenoid hot start problem.

You can band aid it with the hot start kit that some of the parts houses sell or you can get a new (rebuilt) solenoid/starter. Make sure you inspect the battery lines and clean all contacts. Resistance is a bad thing....
Eric Taylor
Thanks for all the good advice guys. Let me clear this up a little bit. I guess the title is a little misleading, because the starter will crank the motor when I do the screwdriver trick, so it is engaging, so that must mean wiring or the switch right? Another test that I did thanks to of all things the haynes manual ohmy.gif was to turn the head lights on with the car in the on position and when I turn the key to engage the starter the head lights go out. The haynes says that is bad wiring. So where to I check for wiring? Could this still be the switch? Oh and the other day before It did this it was making some wierd noises like it wasn't making a full conncetion somewhere and then it would connect and the car would start, which leads me to think it's more wiring but i can't be to sure. Oh and yes this is the 72 in my sig, and I have the whole 73 still if that's a help in the parts department.
Eric
Rand
Sure sounds like an ignition switch to me. It's somewhat common for them to crack and cause this.
Brando
My ignition switch took a dive one day too. Worked fine in the morning, went to drive home in the afternoon and it would not engage. Then when i left the key in the 'on' position and manually engaged the starter it ran. Jostle the key a bit and it'd die (contacts breaking inside the ignition switch).

For the short time it takes to look at the ignition switch, I'd do it. Besides, if it's never been replaced -- now's a good time. And when you do replace it with a new unit, be sure to spray it good with liquid silicone spray. Work the switch back and forth -- make sure to get it inside the switch. You'll have a switch that lasts 60 years instead of 30.
Porsche Rescue
Eric, I just checked Pelican catalog and 72 and 73 use same switch. If like me, you have more time than money, you might pull yours and install the one from the parts car. If it fixes the problem you can buy a new one later on. Pelican has a very good tech article on their site with lots of good pics on replacing the switch. Also a clear pic of the switch in their online catalog.

BTW, after a year of college you gotta be over 17 by now! Time to change your signature. How about "19 and learned even more".
Eric Taylor
Jim I'll porbably try that first for sure. I really want to get this sob working. I was hoping to go to gary emroys thing this coming weekend, but now we'll see. This car is just one thing after another dry.gif .
Oh is the method with the club the best way to take the steering wheel off? I don't own a club so is their another way.
Eric

Jim- yeah it's been a while since I updated that wacko.gif Hows this smile.gif
Porsche Rescue
That's better! I'll check it again next year. smile.gif

Should be able to hold the wheel with one hand and with the wheel locked and crack the nut with a breaker bar or ratchet, 27 mm I think, but 1 1/16" works also.
Eric Taylor
Jim, Sounds good, now I've gota find a socket that big.
Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.