Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Motor Ticking Sound?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74Wheels
I finally got my Barn Find 74 2.0 started up after fixing major oil leaks. Also did a valve adjustment, reset the Dwell and timing. I’m hearing a motor tick during idle? I’m still in the learning phase, so do I have a valve out of adjustment? Is it safe to drive or do I need to address it immediately??
Tdskip
It's hard to tell without actually hearing it, but these engines do tend to make a lot of noise and clatter.
74Wheels
It sounds just like a lifter tick on an old Ford Truck I had. Just wanted to check that I didn’t get a valve too tight??
cgnj
QUOTE(74Wheels @ Nov 22 2018, 08:21 AM) *

It sounds just like a lifter tick on an old Ford Truck I had. Just wanted to check that I didn’t get a valve too tight??

Does it have hydro lifters on it? Recheck valve adjustment. I'd leak it down if you have the tools, maybe it will give a clue. I had a ticking noise and dropped a valve seat. That was fun.

Carlos
914Sixer
Look for exhaust leak at the heads, make sure the nuts are tight.
rjames
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 22 2018, 11:53 AM) *

Look for exhaust leak at the heads, make sure the nuts are tight.

But not too tight. It’s very easy to pull the studs.
You should be able to tell which side the ticking is coming from. Double check your valve clearance.

Does the noise change if you run the engine for several minutes? If you have hydraulic lifters it could take a while for them to fill with oil. If the noise starts to lessen after running the engine for a while you probably gave hydros. Only way to know for sure is to remove one of the lifters.
second wind
Any chance it is a worn out alternator belt? Sometimes sounds like a tick....
gg
TheCabinetmaker
Exhaust valve leak can sounds just like a loose valve. Start at 10lbs, and work you way up to 14lbs on each nut. You'll probably find at least three loose.

I'm working on memory on the 14 lbs. Please verify first!
74Wheels
Thanks for the info! I haven’t isolated right where it’s coming from but will recheck my valve clearances and possible exhaust leak. Also Alt Belt? The tick is constant at idle upon start and after warm up. Motor drowns it out at higher RPMs of course. Will try to isolate it better but good info on where to look! It’s factory stock 2.0.
Porschef
Try to post a good video, would be most helpful.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you could also pull one spark plug wire at a time and see which one lessens the tick, so then localize it to a specific cylinder.
74Wheels
Another good idea! Thanks George!
Triaddave
I have a piece of PVC pipe about 2-3 feet long X 2". I use it to isolate sounds. be careful not to get it hung up on anything or you could loose your ear. It's a great, cheap tool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.