Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 4R in 000 Magazine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marksGTV
I wasn’t aware of this model and it’s quite impressive. Does anyone here subscribe to 000? Did you see the feature on the car?
marksGTV
Seriously bad~ass car

Olympic 914
Must be an artists rendition......

Nobody's Headlight door/eyebrows fit that good..

marksGTV
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Nov 22 2018, 10:17 AM) *

I believe you are correct
rgalla9146

I think the artist has provided beautiful examples of his work on this site.
Everything he does is absolutely right.
Freezin 914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 22 2018, 09:40 AM) *

Yes, I think you’re correct, and the best thing about his work is no rust or jack stands!
mb911
Yes it's optimusglen s artwork.
Maltese Falcon
There is only one 914R, it belongs to Chris/ CJCam...and it is badA$$ first.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 23 2018, 08:05 PM) *

There is only one 914R, it belongs to Chris/ CJCam...and it is badA$$ first.gif

Ah, but we felt there was space for a 914 4R... biggrin.gif

And yes on everything said about Glen! smilie_pokal.gif
EdwardBlume
Cartoon or not, doesn't it just make you feel something inside? smile.gif
cali914
QUOTE(marksGTV @ Nov 22 2018, 07:12 AM) *

Seriously bad~ass car

agree 100 percent icon_bump.gif
914forme
Really nice design, but the goal was a 1700 Lbs car. drooley.gif While if going for a period correct car I am not a huge fan of Carbon fiber, but the mentioned use of Magnesium and Titanium really makes my heart sing wub.gif

And while I love Signal Orange cars, that "Army Green" just does it for me.

Great job in concept, great job in execution, now some one take this design and build the dang thing.

Carbon Fiber and Epoxy resigns where available during the production run of the 914. So I guess I should limit the cars by not using carbon.

BTW, nice touch on the oversized driving lights with ducting behind them to route cooling to various components.
Cal
Glen Cordle has done some cool concepts.....he's a new contributor to the 000 magazine.

chrisg
QUOTE(Cal @ Nov 24 2018, 05:53 PM) *

Glen Cordle has done some cool concepts.....he's a new contributor to the 000 magazine.

Nice. As much as I lust after the 4R, the rally 914 is much more what I need for our lovely county (un)maintained roads I traverse every day. Might need a deer basher grill/guard though.
TravisNeff
This makes me want 15x9's and GT flares real, real bad. Best rear combo.

Great Work optimusglen!
sixnotfour
idea.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 25 2018, 08:22 PM) *

idea.gif

Have always dug your car, and have always wondered what shade of green…

As much as I like my narrow six conversion, if I was building a cost no object 914, it would be something like the 4R. As light as possible, a four of some sort (718 four-cam turbo four backed up by a 981 6MT would be hard to beat), and "dead" army green paint have been on my wish list for a very long time. Suspect the car would be at least Singer money to realize as imagined here…but I always was a 914 guy, and it's good to dream, right?

In the meantime, and ahead of pushing it on IG and elsewhere, there's a bit of 914 content on https://www.000magazine.com if you click on "000 Video." Did I really say I'd do a four over a six if cost is no object? unsure.gif There is something to be said for the small-bore sixes…
brant
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 24 2018, 08:38 AM) *

Really nice design, but the goal was a 1700 Lbs car. drooley.gif While if going for a period correct car I am not a huge fan of Carbon fiber, but the mentioned use of Magnesium and Titanium really makes my heart sing wub.gif

And while I love Signal Orange cars, that "Army Green" just does it for me.

Great job in concept, great job in execution, now some one take this design and build the dang thing.

Carbon Fiber and Epoxy resigns where available during the production run of the 914. So I guess I should limit the cars by not using carbon.

BTW, nice touch on the oversized driving lights with ducting behind them to route cooling to various components.

I have not read the article... so please forgive me if the concept of how to achieve 1700lbs is already spelled out...

but I do not honestly believe that 1700 lbs is achievable in a street car with lights or glass. even with carbon fiber and everything else.

my car is down to about 1815 currently... and there really is not much more on it that could be structurally or cosmetically replaced

sure I could use CF parts in place of metal or fiberglass... but I am certain that those would result in 5pounds.. or 10 pounds... not 100
I even used aircraft wiring with thinner insulation...

I just don't think its doable in a metal shell, and I don't see anyone making CF shells in autoclaves for a 914 (ever)
Optimusglen
Thanks for the love guys. Glad to see people are enjoying my work with 000 as much as I am.

Here's another view of the offroad 914 that was posted above.

IPB Image

Thank you for the kind words, I do post up a lot of my work on here when it's 914 related, my first and current Porsche is a '71 914-4 so I'm a bit of a fan. Keen eyes will spot some errors or inconsistencies in my work, especially in the realm of surface curvature, and that's ok. I keep striving to nail the balance between realism and art.
mepstein
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Nov 26 2018, 02:17 PM) *

Thanks for the love guys. Glad to see people are enjoying my work with 000 as much as I am.

Here's another view of the offroad 914 that was posted above.

IPB Image

Thank you for the kind words, I do post up a lot of my work on here when it's 914 related, my first and current Porsche is a '71 914-4 so I'm a bit of a fan. Keen eyes will spot some errors or inconsistencies in my work, especially in the realm of surface curvature, and that's ok. I keep striving to nail the balance between realism and art.

I love your work. first.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 26 2018, 11:07 AM) *

I have not read the article... so please forgive me if the concept of how to achieve 1700lbs is already spelled out...

but I do not honestly believe that 1700 lbs is achievable in a street car with lights or glass. even with carbon fiber and everything else.

my car is down to about 1815 currently... and there really is not much more on it that could be structurally or cosmetically replaced

sure I could use CF parts in place of metal or fiberglass... but I am certain that those would result in 5pounds.. or 10 pounds... not 100
I even used aircraft wiring with thinner insulation...

I just don't think its doable in a metal shell, and I don't see anyone making CF shells in autoclaves for a 914 (ever)

"My vintage race car 914/6 2.0S with twin plug, all metal body panels, 19quarts of oil, 4 gal fuel, 1826 lbs" poke.gif

Agree on CF vs various metal parts of FG.

Article does address the how. Your car is impressively light with a heavy air-cooled six and all metal body panels (like mine) plus 19 quarts of oil—but swapping to a four would get you into the 1700s, and the 4R uses glass only for its windshield. Aluminum/ceramic brake rotors, lightweight suspension pieces front and rear, etc would also help. Is the target of low 1700s with Gorilla glass windows and minimal carpeting doable? I don't know, but I think it's possible if someone really worked at it. Anything under 1800 would be wonderful with a 2.5 turbo, though…
brant
maybe...
but at a huge cost.

carbon fiber brakes
aluminum suspension components
I can see those steps shedding another 80lbs.

but I think that adding lights, heat, or any interior back is going to offset the brakes and suspension

it would be really really tough in a -6
a -4 could do it though

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 26 2018, 12:42 PM) *

maybe...
but at a huge cost.

Yep. Idea here was, what would a 914 hot rod at Singer money look like? Fun to dream…
brant
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 26 2018, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Nov 26 2018, 12:42 PM) *

maybe...
but at a huge cost.

Yep. Idea here was, what would a 914 hot rod at Singer money look like? Fun to dream…

a fun idea
and the kind of concept that is partially the reason you have always been at the helm of the best magazines!
mepstein
I penciled up a 1700lb early 4. The biggest expense is glass hoods and bumpers. The rest is mostly removing parts and reproducing side and rear glass in plastic. Streetable, very bare but should help the power to weight ratio if the stock 1.7 as well as braking and handling.
Dave_Darling
"Wild 6" used to be lighter than that--back when it was a four-cylinder. The builder was fairly obsessed with weight; he kept four-bolt hubs because the rotors and hubs were lighter, for instance. His was the kind of car that either posted TToD or broke; nothing in between.

The car significantly evolved after it passed to the next owner.

--DD
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 26 2018, 09:24 PM) *

"Wild 6" used to be lighter than that--back when it was a four-cylinder. The builder was fairly obsessed with weight; he kept four-bolt hubs because the rotors and hubs were lighter, for instance. His was the kind of car that either posted TToD or broke; nothing in between.

The car significantly evolved after it passed to the next owner.

--DD

^ Yes, seem to recall 914-4s into the 1600s were very possible…and these weren't high tech when it came to materials, or six-figure builds for that matter. I added 100~ lbs to account for a windshield, roof, and windows and counted on lightweighting to counter the modern 718 engine and gearbox. If any of you are familiar with the 964 project of "rdlinton" on Rennlist, you'll know where some of the inspiration for this 914 came from.

I suspect the cost to build really would be Singer money—say, $500,000 to $1,500,000. Yes, plainly ridiculous money for a 914 hot rod…money I don't have and would have an even harder time justifying for something like this. But I'll say this: I'd rather have the 4R than a real 914-6 GT or top-shelf RS 2.7. Or, for that matter, a 288 GTO or any number of other exotics. Much as I love those cars, and that's a lot, I'm not sure I would drive such collectibles the way I would drive this thing on track days, autocrosses, and various grassroots rallies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.