Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative Air Conditioning?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
Saw this on line, wondering if one of these could mounted in the front trunk and ducted into the fresh air system's vents?

Click to view attachment

Looks like it only draws about 7.5 amps at 13.5 volts (and I'm going to be installing one of Peter Newman's 160 amp alternators in the '71 914) idea.gif

https://www.banggood.com/12V-24V-Small-Car-...ur_warehouse=CN
Larmo63
"Applicable vehicles: heavy trucks, light trucks, engineering vehicles, excavators, harvesters, double-row mini vehicles and other models."

They don't mention 914s, so you're out of luck. bootyshake.gif
Chi-town
You probably could but getting enough airflow through the condenser side would be hard.
Valy
This is just the evaporator. You will also need to install the compressor somewhere and route the pipes to this unit. See the pipes outlets at the bottom.
euro911
QUOTE(Valy @ Nov 23 2018, 12:58 AM) *
This is just the evaporator. You will also need to install the compressor somewhere and route the pipes to this unit. See the pipes outlets at the bottom.
That question was asked on the web page:

Q : Is this a standalone air conditioner? or does it need a separate compressor?

A : Hi, it is a standalone air conditioner.
Answered by Elaine on November 01,2018

It's supposedly just a mini self contained unit, similar to a window air conditioner for your home. The nipples might be the high & low side ports of the system, for adding freon.

EdwardBlume
Do you just cut a rectangular hole in the targa top and mount it to the roof? biggrin.gif
euro911
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Nov 23 2018, 07:43 AM) *
Do you just cut a rectangular hole in the targa top and mount it to the roof? biggrin.gif
If that's your cup of tea, have at it. I was thinking in the front trunk idea.gif
Valy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 23 2018, 04:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Nov 23 2018, 12:58 AM) *
That question was asked on the web page:

Q : Is this a standalone air conditioner? or does it need a separate compressor?

A : Hi, it is a standalone air conditioner.
Answered by Elaine on November 01,2018

It's supposedly just a mini self contained unit, similar to a window air conditioner for your home. The nipples might be the high & low side ports of the system, for adding freon.

Anyone can answer those questions so would not count on them.
Filling ports must be at the top, not bottom.
100W power consumption will give next to nothing in cooling power. A small car AC takes about a couple of ponies so that's 750-1500W range.
From the seller description on the site:

Package Included:
1 X Car evaporator
1 X Accessory set

I hope it helps.

Steve
It looks like you would still need a compressor and condenser
Dave_Darling
And a whole lot of air flow to and from the unit. Don't forget that.

Remember that any A/C system is just moving heat from one place (e.g., the inside of the cabin) to another place (hopefully the outside of the car). Sticking the condenser in an enclosed area will simply heat up that area until no more heat can be rejected into that area, at which point the A/C will do absolutely nothing.

--DD
Tdskip
Just to be sure I double checked and Pep Boys confirm that it would fit.
GeorgeRud
I think the electronic compressor setup that was developed for the 911 may help with a 914 setup, but will still require cutting ventilation holes in the front trunk. I wonder if a cooler full of ice with a 12 volt fan blowing air through it might not provide some cooling to the relatively small interior? It might be an inexpensive setup that could be installed and used when needed.
michael7810
1 word. B-kool
Click to view attachment
euro911

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/7eJyX6ViyU4

laugh.gif
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
Steve
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 23 2018, 05:52 PM) *

See... it does fit!
Mark Henry
You could do an in dash install. biggrin.gif

IPB Image
euro911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 23 2018, 03:42 PM) *
I think the electronic compressor setup that was developed for the 911 may help with a 914 setup, but will still require cutting ventilation holes in the front trunk. I wonder if a cooler full of ice with a 12 volt fan blowing air through it might not provide some cooling to the relatively small interior? It might be an inexpensive setup that could be installed and used when needed.
Yeah, George ... I think you're right that the ice chest would be a better (& less expensive) option, plus if the supply air is pulled from the cockpit, eventually it would be recirculating cooler air, thus the ice would last longer. Also, my car is white, so the temperature in the trunk would be a bit lower than if it were a darker color.
budk
If you really want A/C why not go the route that Porsche did and install the one that the dealerships installed?
76-914
There is a place in San Diego and San Antonio that will install one. I'd think with $1200 in parts it won't be cheap and that appears to be what you're looking for. IIRC, there is also a place in AZ that does this. The rotary compressors that we have now last longer, run smoother, draw less power from the engine and are cheaper to rebuild. Do it right and do it once. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Jerry
What’s the name of the a/c place in San Antonio ?
76-914
Sorry for the late reply. @JERRY Vintage Air. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.