Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Der Klutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
I'm assuming I need a completely new clutch. Something is definitely broken. I heard it snap 2 days after WCC. I haven't driven the car since... and I'm really itching to do so.

My dilemma is... I don't know if I should embark on this project alone, since I have limited time/space and the housing association frowns sternly on working on cars. This could be a problem if I were to start the project and run into complications.

So, I thought I might as well have the clutch job done by a "professional." Any idea how much a clutch job runs for a 914? I would definitely like to upgrade to the 911 clutch, as I understand this is preferred.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks,

Carlos
SirAndy
well, if you heard a "snap" it might not be the clutch at all ...

could be the clutch cable broke or the clutch tube came lose in the cneter tunnel ...

what exactly are the symptoms?
idea.gif Andy
McMark
It's going to get expensive if the flywheel is already too far gone to resurface. If you had experience it could be a one day job.
Carlitos Way
Symptoms: Ever since I've had the car (almost a year) the clutch has been hard to operate. I adjusted the clutch cable just prior to the WCC poker run. It felt much better, but it still was hard to press.

Fast forward 2 days, going in to work (since it ran so well at WCC), and shifting from 1st to 2nd, I hear a "snap" as I pushed in the clutch.

Now, I have hardly any clutch. I can put it into gear, but it's impossible to find a gear. IF I stop the engine, I can move the gearshift lever into position, start the car and move it. HOwever, I can't get into any other gears.

I'm open to suggestions...

C.
Jeff Bonanno
if the snap came from nearby (like immed to your right and somewhat south) it could be the clutch tube in the center tunnel having dislocated its welds. as i'm told, this sometimes follows problems disengaging clutch followed by one or more tightenings of the cable followed by a total failure. do some searching here on clutch tube to hear other stories about this malady and solutions.

jbb

ps - as above, look fer a busted cable first tho
SirAndy
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Jun 18 2005, 10:12 PM)
I'm open to suggestions...

just one, clutch tube in the center tunnel broke lose from the firewall and/or the spotwelds inside the tunnel ...

your average machanic (even the porsche ones) will *NOT* know how to fix this!

search here for clutch tube repair (might even be in the classics), we had a few threads (with pictures) about the repair.

it just so happend that i had to do that on my car about 6 weeks ago ...
smash.gif welder.gif smash.gif Andy
Jeff Bonanno
hi Ahndy.
Carlitos Way
So... does anyone in LA LA Land or near SimI Valley have the knowledge and ability to do this? I have no welding tools whatsoever.
Carlitos Way
Andy,

One thing I forgot to mention is that the car sat for some time before I got it. I was "guessing" that something INSIDE the clutch was rusted through and broke. I like the idea of the weld... but... I don't know if they would be able to diagnose it.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jeff Bonanno @ Jun 18 2005, 10:21 PM)
hi Ahndy.

wavey.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Jun 18 2005, 10:32 PM)
I don't know if they would be able to diagnose it.

i have no idea where simi valley is but we do have some competent club members down in the Smell-A Area ...

beerchug.gif Andy
Jeff Bonanno
Carlos - we both just suggested some good reading on this site... try searching here for clutch tube repair. there will be a tonne of information for you to consider including diagnosis...

i will look for the links also and post them here when i find them.

hope that helps,
jbb
Carlitos Way
Slimy Valley is about 30 miles East from Camarillo. I'm about 10 miles North from Howard... (if that's any help).

Carlitos Way
QUOTE (Jeff Bonanno @ Jun 18 2005, 09:40 PM)
Carlos - we both just suggested some good reading on this site... try searching here for clutch tube repair. there will be a tonne of information for you to consider including diagnosis...

i will look for the links also and post them here when i find them.

hope that helps,
jbb

Thanks Jeff,

I wasn't trying to ignore you... I really do appreciate your help.

Carlos
Jeff Bonanno
ok - dig this, an old post here by the exaulted dave darling linked back to pp:

some cool photos

i will find some more from here...

jbb
redshift
If it was hard to push, sounds right... sounds like it was binding all that time..

M
Carlitos Way
Sounds like you guys all agree. Is there a way to open the tunnel so I can see if that's my problem?
Jeff Bonanno
can't believe i forgot about this one:

Brad's exaulted thread
McMark
If you take out your shifter you can feel if the tube is broken free. The tube runs on the drivers side of the shifter hole. Stick your fingers in there and if there's a metal tube that moves when you push it you've got a broken tube. It is very possible to reweld the tube into place with only drilling two holes in the center tunnel. It is not necessary to cut it open.
Carlitos Way
Thanks for the tip Mark. I guess I'll spend a little time taking out the shifter tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it taken care of the "easy" way. Do you know someone near L.A. that has done this procedure?

Thanks,

Carlos
redshift
It can be JB Welded in..

rolleyes.gif

M
JeffBowlsby
YOU can inspect the tube weld points (three of them) to see if thats the problem, after studying the articles linked above. Use an inspection mirror in the access holes.

IF that is the problem (souds like it) YOU can drill the holes needed for the plug welds and clamp the tube to the tunnel. Then all you need is to have it welded.

MIKE MUELLER graciously welded mine...Thanks Mike! Maybe you know someone local who can/will weld it for you? IF not find a mobile welder to do it, or tow it somewhere.

Like Andy said....NO SHOP you take it to will know what to do unless they know these cars. They could ultimately figure it out maybe...but it would be expensive to pay for their learning curve, and they would probably cut into the tunnel, which is not needed. All this couold happen quickly, in your parking lot, but you have to be organized.

Good luck.
ArtechnikA
it *could* also be the roll pin on the clutch pedal shaft.
just one more thing to check before committing to expensive repairs.

and i once had a cable *almost* break. one or two tiny strands were still in place, and they hung on enough to return the pedal - but stretched too much to actually work the clutch.

i agree the other possibilities seem more likely.
Carlitos Way
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up researching some local shops and found a local porsche shop that works on 914's and 911's mostly. The owner is an older German guy who loves the Type IV engine. He's got a couple of Type 4 conversions on a bug and an older bus.

So here's what he found: Clutch was kaput as suspected. In addition the flywheel was shot to the point that it couldn't be machined, so he replaced it as well. new clutch cable and guide. It turned out the tube inside the tunnel was good, but there was a "kink" in the cable guide that goes from the firewall to the transmission.

Other things he did:

Replaced cooling fan, after finding 6 missing fins (Thanks, DAPO finger.gif )
Tune-up and valve adjustment
Fixed mis-routed vacuum lines (again, Thanks to DAPO finger.gif )
Replaced Cold Start injector.

Now, the car shifts smoothly, and the clutch really feels "like butter." What a great feeling!!!!

Got rid of an annoying vibration (go figure, with 6 fins missing from the fan), and no more high revving at the stop lights.

All in all, it cost me a pretty penny, sheeplove.gif but what a joy to drive the car and really not have to battle to get it in gear, and to idle properly and smoothly.

A big kudos to Carrera in Simi Valley. I'd definitely recommend this guy to anyone who's looking for a porsche mechanic near Simi/SFV.

Now, I'm ready to drive again!!!! driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
markb
Glad to hear ya got it all done & back on the road. Now drive that mutha!! biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Carlitos Way @ Jun 18 2005, 09:31 PM)
So... does anyone in LA LA Land or near SimI Valley have the knowledge and ability to do this? I have no welding tools whatsoever.

I do them all the time. I'm in Santa Maria. It would be possible to drive your car up here if you chose the right hours to do so. I can explain in more detail if you need me to ....... The Cap'n
Carlitos Way
Thanks... I appreciate it, but it looks like I'm good to go. Maybe I WILL drive up there one of these days... just for FUN not to work on the car!!!

Carlos
McMark
smilie_pokal.gif

Sometimes it's worth it to step aside and let someone else do the work. I drove my car with poorly tuned FI yesterday after a month of not driving it. Oh boy! The joy of driving. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.