Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alignment in the valley of the sun
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orangecrate
After dragging my teener up and down the coast , doing some serious rust repair, new shocks all around, Urethane bushings all around ,repaired transaxle, new steel fuel lines,
2 broken windshields headbang.gif and a laundry list of other misc. stuff, 10 yrs later it's almost ready for the road again. driving.gif Because i've had my front and rear suspension completely apart, I need to find a good shop to do a four wheel alignment. NOT Discount tire or any of those places, someplace that knows teeners and will have the rear shims on hand. I live out in Apache Junction so the closer to there the better. Thanks for the help.
wndsrfr
After all the DIY that you've accomplished, don't be afraid to DIY the alignment. Lotsa luck finding anyone with shims on hand anyway. Park on a level spot. Put some slippery trash bags under all 4 wheels, and settle the suspension. Set up fishing line strings parallel to both front & rear hub centers to check toe, then dangle plumb bobs over each wheel to check camber & you're able to get really close to what any alignment shop can do with their fancy laser stuff.
Costa05
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Nov 23 2018, 10:22 PM) *

After all the DIY that you've accomplished, don't be afraid to DIY the alignment. Lotsa luck finding anyone with shims on hand anyway. Park on a level spot. Put some slippery trash bags under all 4 wheels, and settle the suspension. Set up fishing line strings parallel to both front & rear hub centers to check toe, then dangle plumb bobs over each wheel to check camber & you're able to get really close to what any alignment shop can do with their fancy laser stuff.

Love this type of creative DIY advice. Not too technical but free
Thx for sharing.
mgphoto
I remember doing the toe in with a tape measure when I swapped in the turbo tie rods.
25+ years ago.
GeorgeRud
Patrick Motorsport should be able to help, though any shop with a modern alignment setup should be able to adjust it for you as there’s nothing magical aboutMcPherson struts or trailing arms. You may need to supply alignment shims if it’s a typical alignment shop that doesn’t normally do 914s.
michael7810
Stuttgart Southwest is close to Mesa and they work on a lot of 914s. Had mine aligned there years ago. I’ve had them do a few repairs on my car and have always been happy with the price and quality.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Nov 23 2018, 10:22 PM) *

For fronts I just used a digital tllt box to set castor/camber and I made a toe-in slide rule.
orangecrate
Thank you gentlemen signal914.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.