Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why is my roof so squeaky?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrblackbox
Is there anything I can do do reduce the squeaking? Haven't driven the car in a couple of weeks and took it out yesterday for a spin, it was very cold about 15 degrees. I'm sure this had something to do with it, but it was very annoying. There must be something I can do?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Nov 24 2018, 05:00 AM) *

Is there anything I can do do reduce the squeaking? Haven't driven the car in a couple of weeks and took it out yesterday for a spin, it was very cold about 15 degrees. I'm sure this had something to do with it, but it was very annoying. There must be something I can do?

Find what's rubbing by pushing up on roof when it happens and secure it. Or put new seals on, or tighten down he top. You'll find it.
TheCabinetmaker
It's more than likely the rubber blocks on the targa bar latches. A small piece of rubber tubing over the arm of the latch will do wonders. A bottle of glycerin from the drug store will help too.
billh1963
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Nov 24 2018, 08:07 AM) *

It's more than likely the rubber blocks on the targa bar latches. A small piece of rubber tubing over the arm of the latch will do wonders. A bottle of glycerin from the drug store will help too.

Conditioning the rubber has always worked for me.
Glycerin for the worst cases. But, usually 303 (which I use on rubber parts) does the trick.
PatrickB
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Nov 24 2018, 09:00 AM) *

Mine squeaks because the latches for the back of the roof have enough wear on the pivot rivet that it doesn't pull tight enough. Might try to repair them this winter. Haven't seen them for sale (but haven't really looked either)
Tom_T
It's a good idea to keep all of your rubber seals treated with something like Wurth rubber treatment, glycerine, or another quality brand (not with silicone nor black dyes though).

Targa seals will be less pliable when dry & squeak - especially when cold &/or old, so treat them all. Look at what Curtis mentioned above on the latches too.

After treating the top's seals - plus the on-body/roll bar, windshield-frame, etc. seals mating to the top - all with the top off, allow it to sit & soak for an hour or so, then wipe off any excess, then try reseating your top unlatched to sit exactly in place at all 4 corners & along the 4 sides & square, then re-latch everything tight.

I used to do this every year or two in my garage, with the top on the floor upside down lying on an old towels or blanket, & I did the rest of the car's seals then too.

It's really hard to pin down one point for a squeak, & the seals need some care to stay pliable long term too, so this maintenance step is good overall, & you might as well do all of the other body, door, window, deck lids, etc. seals at the same time as one project.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
porschetub
I found my roof moves around on rough uneven road surfaces,I have movement mainly around the rear of the roof because the seal is worn down and the latches are worn,I would suggest the OP talks the Bruce Stone (member here) about his rebuilt powdercoated latchs,bought a set ,top quality,914rubber are the obvious choice for the new rear surround seal which I have yet to order.
These cars do flex and not a lot you can do about that without going to a chassis reinforcement kit which IMO isn't really need for a near stock 4cyl car.
Good luck.
Wyvern
The front latches ARE adjustable ...
Try loosening the 2 nuts on the catch arm, and push arm back a bit , that shortens the the effective length of the latch.

That with new blocks on the rear and I am "Tight and Squeak-less" (ummm that is a good thing. lol3.gif )

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.