Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 throttle linkage and bell crank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I am trying to fit my throttle, and bell crank and I need a pic to show me how it all goes together. I think that my bell crank will not work. It is from a 911. Any info?
Dr Evil
OK, I found the pic that I was looking for ( in a previous thread of mine rolleyes.gif )

I still need to find an OE crank, though. Mine turns the wrong way. Maybe I can heat it and change its direction?
Dr Evil
Here is mine
McMark
Looks like sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif
Dr Evil
I'm hoping that it is low temp welded. I am gonna try Map gas first and a wrench. Then I can see about brazing it on. If not, I'll have to have one of my machineist friends do it. AA lists new ones for $196 ohmy.gif
Dr Evil
Ok, here is the latest. I used the MAPP gas and heated the weakest looking joint until red hot. It broke free and I rotated it to the position necessary.

Now the problem I have is welding it in the new position. Is there a welding rod that I can use with the MAPP gas? I figure that there must be as I heated the joint up enough to break it loose.

I tried plumbing solder, but it is not adhearing to the two pieces very well.
Eddie Williams
sounds like you need a brazing rod
Dr Evil
I just bought one, but I am concerned that the MAPP gas will not be hot enough. Will it?
Dr Evil
Its not pretty, but where the metal was thinner around the tube it flowed nicely as there was less metal to wick away the heat.

It is cooling now, slowly to make a stronger bond. I'll take some pics.

$3 for brazing rod sure beats $196 for a new crank wacko.gif ohmy.gif
Red-Beard
MAPP gas is perfectly hot enough for brazing. Brazed joints aren't the strongest thing in the world. I'd find someone who can weld a couple of little points onto that guy. Any muffler shop could do it for $5 or a beer. beer.gif
Dr Evil
Ta da!
Dr Evil
They were brazed to begin with, though. It should be plenty strong as the springs in my throttle assy are not that thick wink.gif

Besides, I wanted it NOW. Who wants to wait for a muffler shop?
Trekkor
And here's the cool one... cool.gif

If it works, and YOU like it, you don't have to worry what anyone else has to say about it...Ha!

KT

( No pic of my bell crank to be posted here )
Aaron Cox
cool deal.

does it run yet?
Red-Beard
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 19 2005, 12:18 PM)
Besides, I wanted it NOW. Who wants to wait for a muffler shop?

Patience my son, all will be revealed in time.

J

You're welcome for the MAPP Gas...Did I leave the brazing rod and the brazing flux too? welder.gif
Dr Evil
Nope, I had to buy the rods. $3 and it is pretty strong, too.
Dr Evil
New problem dry.gif

I have my crank oriented as the picture shows, but the ball coupler side that the throttle cable attaches to binds on the tranny side. mad.gif

I am either gonna put a larger stud on the tranny and space the crank out, or re weld the throttle linkage side farther outboard.

1 forward, two back.....I need to learn to move forward by walking backwards wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.