Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not a 914 question but a 914 motor question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72914wrx
Looking for some help and advice. I’m currently building a 912 outlaw and I’m going to use a 914 motor. I have engine block that’s been laying around from a car I bought a few years ago . I took the heads off to find out it had 96mm pistons so that’s a plus . I’m going to use a 911 fan for cooling . Some of the reason of using the 911 fan is the alternator that will be self excited so it will be just one wire . I was looking at Sharpbuilt
Cooling kits and fat performance. What are the advantages and disadvantages on both ?
The car will used to haul the kids to coffee and cars and road trips to shaver lake if that helps .
sixnotfour
356-912 engine...keep it right
72914wrx
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 24 2018, 09:19 PM) *

I hear what your saying this car will never be concours . It has door from a 74 with electric windows and rear fenders flares . It’s passes the point of going back to original.
Tdskip
Good morning and welcome.

I’ve seen a couple of these builds and they really move.

This link should help a bunch, not that hard to do.:

Type4 into 912

The 912Bbs has a whole outlaw section - great site and people are super helpful there too. Feel free to PM me (I have a 912 too)

mepstein
A 912 outlaw is my next project. Needs to be a 66 but won't be stock.
GeorgeRud
Since Porsche did this basically with the 912E in 1976, why not just use their engineering and save yourself some time? The upright cooling fan looks nice, but the stock type 4 should work fine as well.
TravisNeff
You don't have to change the cooling system if you do not want to 912E used a 914 engine with the standard cooling. Sorry not much help.

The headlight covers without the lights in them, it has a cool look to it.
914forme
911 fan kits for the type-4 look cool, but don't cool as well as stock or DTM. As far as wanting 1 wire alternator, I get that, you can add this kit and have your 1 wire alternator and stock housing.

912E parts can be hard to find, but you will mainly need engine tin.

Tdskip
Keep us posTed but do join the 912 forum, lots of people who have done that exact thing.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 25 2018, 04:58 PM) *

912E parts can be hard to find, but you will mainly need engine tin.

It shouldn't be that difficult to modify 914 engine tin to fit the 912 engine bay, right? It's mostly changing the outer contour of the side and front tin, I think.

--DD
dr914@autoatlanta.com
a lot of rigging to make it work, for example what are you going to use for heat exchangers?

Unfortunately it will cost more to do what you want to do than to install an original engine. These cars are worth way too much these days to modify

QUOTE(72914wrx @ Nov 24 2018, 09:46 PM) *

Looking for some help and advice. I’m currently building a 912 outlaw and I’m going to use a 914 motor. I have engine block that’s been laying around from a car I bought a few years ago . I took the heads off to find out it had 96mm pistons so that’s a plus . I’m going to use a 911 fan for cooling . Some of the reason of using the 911 fan is the alternator that will be self excited so it will be just one wire . I was looking at Sharpbuilt
Cooling kits and fat performance. What are the advantages and disadvantages on both ?
The car will used to haul the kids to coffee and cars and road trips to shaver lake if that helps .
914werke
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 24 2018, 09:19 PM) *

BAH! evilgrin.gif
rick 918-S
My son and I have a 912 we are converting to a type IV. Get a set of He's from a 911 that had thermoreactor exhaust manifolds and build a set of headers to connect to them. Easy peasy. No cutting anything..
mepstein
Porsche has a long history of swapping hot rod and race engines into their factory cars. Just look at the factory 914-8’s and Brutus with an RSR engine. The same was done with many 356, 911 and other Porsche’s. Ferry was a big fan of outlaw cars. No reason not to carry on the tradition.
914werke
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 26 2018, 08:19 AM) *
My son and I have a 912 we are converting to a type IV. Get a set of He's from a 911 that had thermoreactor exhaust manifolds and build a set of headers to connect to them. Easy peasy. No cutting anything..

That will work if you go with the 911 fan setup. I was going this route but found you had to modify the HE's if you keep the T4 impeller housing for cooling. Then happened upon a set of 912E OE HE's aktion035.gif
maf914
Shoptalk Forums is your friend:

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47656
Mikey914
I had a 66 that snapped a crank and I needed a replacement while I worked out the details.
I used a type2 dual relief case, went 3/4 cam, 103 pistons, stage 2 heads (can't remember where I got them but they were extrude honed, with a balanced stroked crank. I think it was a 78 with about 2300 ish in displacement

If it's tryely an outlaw you can do this for a lot less (you will need to fabricate a bracket). It bolts right in. if you still have the old motor, build it how you want it and drive the car. The VW guys can make more power and parts are much cheaper. That way you can get it on the road. Do the math before you start down the 914 road as it's not a "correct" motor (unless it's a L jetted 76 "E").

I build mine for about 1/3 the cost of the "stock" rebuild would have been on my own motor. Actaully wound up selling it with the T2 in it, and ran into the guy. He still has the T2 and loves it. Did rebuild the old one but after he put it in decided to go back.

Just my .02
72914wrx
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 26 2018, 07:23 AM) *

a lot of rigging to make it work, for example what are you going to use for heat exchangers?

Unfortunately it will cost more to do what you want to do than to install an original engine. These cars are worth way too much these days to modify

QUOTE(72914wrx @ Nov 24 2018, 09:46 PM) *

Heat? Not needed ! I hear what your saying but this is car is not going back to stock so why not have some fun with it . This what I started with it’s only been two months. I hoping to have it running within a year .
72914wrx
This is what I started with .
72914wrx
And here it is now
Tdskip
Strong progress - press on and keep us posted.
euro911
Check with Mark DeBernardi ( @McMark ) at Original Customs, he may still have some 912E repro engine mount brackets - otherwise, it's not too difficult to fab an engine mount bar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.