Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amber Foglight questions..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I like the look of the amber foglight lens', but what's the concept behind it? I think France was the only place to require it, making me think maybe not necessarily the best choice (since everyone else requires clear). Do they do just as well with fog? If amber light is better.. are there brighter amber bulbs that can be used with the stock clear lens?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 25 2018, 12:32 PM) *

I like the look of the amber foglight lens', but what's the concept behind it? I think France was the only place to require it, making me think maybe not necessarily the best choice (since everyone else requires clear). Do they do just as well with fog? If amber light is better.. are there brighter amber bulbs that can be used with the stock clear lens?

Amber is less bright, & the theory was that it would reflect less in the fog than full spectrum clear-white light, but in reality it's all in the lens & reflector design as to whther it works better for fog or driving lights.

The clear lights were originally marketed as 'Accessory" or "Supplemental" Driving Lights by Porsche/VWoA & VW-Porsche, if you look in the old sales brochures & their ads from 1969-76.

The French & Italians - well I think that they were just VERY confused back then, because they required amber fog lights, clear turn signals, etc. between them - probably just to be different from the Germans! blink.gif huh.gif unsure.gif wacko.gif biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Matty900
Eric Shae was telling me the French version had a tinted reflector. One way to do the French version is to use the clear lens and paint the reflecting surface with a yellow chrome paint. Dupli-Color MC202 Yellow Metal Cast Anodized Color - 11 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000994BUW/ref=cm...i_AaBPzbCFAWVVA
But I like the look of the yellow lenses on my car.
StratPlayer
These are french, bosch, bought them from someone in germany.
JawjaPorsche
I rarely use my fogs but I definitely like the Amber look!
Jamie
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Nov 25 2018, 12:13 PM) *

Eric Shae was telling me the French version had a tinted reflector. One way to do the French version is to use the clear lens and paint the reflecting surface with a yellow chrome paint. Dupli-Color MC202 Yellow Metal Cast Anodized Color - 11 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000994BUW/ref=cm...i_AaBPzbCFAWVVA

First time I've seen a "half rhino" bumper on a teener! Tribute to "Click &Clack" and they're sorely missed! sad.gif
Coondog
I always run my clear len lights just for the sake of being seen. With that said the ambers serve that purpose much better.
raynekat
Clear lens allow the full spectrum of light to pass thru....including blue wavelengths when reflected are hard on your eyes. The yellow lens filter out the blue so are easier on your eyes. The only problem is you lose 10-15% of the lighting intensity. Give and take.
Matty900
QUOTE(Jamie @ Nov 25 2018, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Nov 25 2018, 12:13 PM) *

First time I've seen a "half rhino" bumper on a teener! Tribute to "Click &Clack" and they're sorely missed! sad.gif

They always made me laugh.
My car is Full rhino though
Literati914
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 25 2018, 06:14 PM) *

.. The only problem is you lose 10-15% of the lighting intensity. Give and take.

So, if I go with the amber lens, what's the best/brightest bulb I should be using? I'd like to use these mainly as daytime running lights. Basically have them on all the time!
914Sixer
Amber lens never were a factory option. All lens were clear whether you got the fog or the driving light. All factory European fog lights had yellow reflectors. Added 911 light picture of Euro fog.
90quattrocoupe
New in the box yellow fog lights, have a yellow reflector, not a yellow lens.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Lens a little cloudy form sitting in a box for 30+years.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Greg W.
Dave_Darling
I think I remember hearing about the amber car lights as "city lights"? Something about the white lights being too bright in the city or some such... Unless I'm confusing that with something else, which happens from time to time.

--DD
raynekat
I think "city lights" were the small bulbs that were inside either the H4's or H1's on the early 911's. They were very small bulbs that really weren't used by the driver for seeing....just for being seen.
Ansbacher
I have amber lenses on my '74 and have always found that the stock 35 Watt bulbs to be more than adequately bright, provided of course that the chrome reflectors are in decent shape.

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.