Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle Shipment Company Recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nana's_914
Hi All,

I need your help with a recommendation for a company to ship my 914 from Oakland, CA to San Diego, CA.

Thanks
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Nana's_914 @ Nov 26 2018, 10:19 AM) *

Hi All,

I need your help with a recommendation for a company to ship my 914 from Oakland, CA to San Diego, CA.

Thanks

Is the car running and driving, or an in-op? If it's an in-op, I recommend renting a trailer and getting it yourself. I've seen too many cars destroyed by carriers.
GregAmy
I've used UShip.com successfully in the past. But note that's a brokering service, not the company that will ship.

I'd be tempted to look into a flight up and uHaul with trailer back.
Andyrew
Flight would be ~ $100, and then truck and trailer rental less than $400, $20 uber from the airport to Uhaul.

Tdskip
+1 on uShip.
mepstein
If its a driver quality car, uship is fine. If its a nice car, go with a company that has their own people and has good reviews.
Unobtanium-inc
Be very very careful when using U-Ship, it's the wild west of car shipping. I sold a C Coupe to a guy a few years ago, he didn't want to go with my shipper, he used U-Ship. The guy who showed up had a converted motorhome, that was full of furniture. He unloaded the furniture, loaded the car, and re-loaded the stuff on top of the car.
Cairo94507
I would rent a trailer and haul it to San Diego- it's a one day drive.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 26 2018, 02:42 PM) *

I would rent a trailer and haul it to San Diego- it's a one day drive.

agree.gif
TheCabinetmaker
That was my first thought just reading the thread title. Load it on a trailer and drive it!
Nana's_914
Thanks!

Uhaul quote is $520+misc fees. Way better than I thought. That may be the way to go for peace of mind. Plus I can load the 10 ft truck with my loose Porsche bits instead of packing them into the car.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Nana's_914 @ Nov 26 2018, 04:05 PM) *

Thanks!

Uhaul quote is $520+misc fees. Way better than I thought. That may be the way to go for peace of mind. Plus I can load the 10 ft truck with my loose Porsche bits instead of packing them into the car.

Smart move.
thelogo
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 26 2018, 01:15 PM) *

Be very very careful when using U-Ship, it's the wild west of car shipping. I sold a C Coupe to a guy a few years ago, he didn't want to go with my shipper, he used U-Ship. The guy who showed up had a converted motorhome, that was full of furniture. He unloaded the furniture, loaded the car, and re-loaded the stuff on top of the car.

Is this for real , i mean did the guy put a playboy magazine on his
Windshield when he drove off .

How stupid can you really be .... wub.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 27 2018, 07:47 PM) *

Yup, the trucker was so proud of the fact that he was able to "double-book" the trailer. And before anyone asks why I didn't put a stop to it. I did that once, didn't like the setup that a car was getting shipped, so I told the driver to leave. Unfortunately, the buyer had pre-paid for the move, so guess who had to pay for the next carrier, that would be me. That's the last time I got involved in shipping someone else's car.
mepstein
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 28 2018, 01:42 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 27 2018, 07:47 PM) *

Yup, the trucker was so proud of the fact that he was able to "double-book" the trailer. And before anyone asks why I didn't put a stop to it. I did that once, didn't like the setup that a car was getting shipped, so I told the driver to leave. Unfortunately, the buyer had pre-paid for the move, so guess who had to pay for the next carrier, that would be me. That's the last time I got involved in shipping someone else's car.

Yep X100. I let the buyer work out all the shipping details so once it's on the truck, I'm done. Same with big shipments like engines and trans. Otherwise I become responsible for something completely out of my controle.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I have had very good luck with U ship .com. They have a shipper rating system as well, and if you leave the bid out for a few days, there are some really good deals

QUOTE(Nana's_914 @ Nov 26 2018, 11:19 AM) *

Hi All,

Thanks

Tdskip
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 28 2018, 10:19 AM) *

I have had very good luck with U ship .com. They have a shipper rating system as well, and if you leave the bid out for a few days, there are some really good deals

QUOTE(Nana's_914 @ Nov 26 2018, 11:19 AM) *

Hi All,

Thanks

+4, all four were a good experience. It's not a valet service, but tgeb again if you have some patients it's not price like one either.
Nana's_914
Picked up the 914 yesterday.
Click to view attachment

Got it home last night.
Click to view attachment

Got it to fit in the garage this morning.
Click to view attachment

Lots of work needed, but it runs.
Click to view attachment

Here's an underside shot of the 3.2L & 915 w/ WEVO kit.
Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
Smart man, also good to know I'm not the only one who has to make space for a kid's car. lol-2.gif
ndfrigi
nice a member moved to SoCal. Nice conversion!

And just on time to attend this saturday gathering.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=335089&hl=
Lucky9146
Glad you followed up and posted pictures of the move of your car to San Diego and a warm welcome to another 914-6 in the area. Your underside shot of the 3.2 engine/ 915 trans is a great one, looking really good under there! Hope to see you around. beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Nana's_914
Thanks for wise advice and warm welcome to the SoCal 914 community.

My mother-in-law arrives tonight. Time to stock up the beer fridge in the garage. I may be spending a lot of time there now.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.