Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for plating service in Salt Lake City area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
Still looking for a place to send my hardware for plating. SLC looks to be the nearest place with a choice of decent services. Duris Plating popped up because they mention catering to small jobs but I don't know if they do cad yet. Other contenders are Quality Plating and Blanchard Metals Processing Company. Both of these offer a full range of plating options but seem more geared toward large industrial customers. I'll be contacting them but thought I'd check to see if anyone has a recommendation for a plating service in the area.

Hoping to have all my hardware cleaned up and ready to send in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!
sb914
Ogden plating ?
bbrock
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 27 2018, 07:25 AM) *

Ogden plating ?

Website looks like they just do chrome unless I'm looking at the wrong place.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 27 2018, 08:39 AM) *

QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 27 2018, 07:25 AM) *

Ogden plating ?

Website looks like they just do chrome unless I'm looking at the wrong place.

Cad? Ask Shea.
ConeDodger
I’d agree to ask Shea. Ogden just did this though... with prep by Original Customs
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 27 2018, 09:22 AM) *

I’d agree to ask Shea. Ogden just did this though... with prep by Original Customs

DANG! aktion035.gif
Chris914n6
It's my understanding that Cad plating is a hazardous process, thus in limited supply, whereas yellow zinc can be done at home with a kit.
bbrock
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 27 2018, 09:56 AM) *

It's my understanding that Cad plating is a hazardous process, thus in limited supply, whereas yellow zinc can be done at home with a kit.

There are still quite a few places that do cad plating and supposedly it provides 2X-3X as much corrosion protection as zinc with yellow chromate. I'm sure it costs more due to additional hazardous materials procedures. I've found at least 2 places in SLC that offer cad because it is still in industry demand. Finding a place that caters to small jobs AND does cad might be a different story though.

I looked into home plating and it really didn't pencil out for a one-time project. You can do a part here and there for very little money but to get set up to be able to plate a whole car's worth of hardware is around $300-$400 (that's kit plus recommended power supply). Too bad because home plating suits my uber DIY personality smile.gif I've read there is an art to doing it well though.

If Eric doesn't respond here, I'll drop him a PM.
StratPlayer
This outfit claims to do cad plating. No affiliation

http://www.qualityplating.com/
bbrock
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Nov 27 2018, 11:02 AM) *

This outfit claims to do cad plating. No affiliation

http://www.qualityplating.com/

Yep, that's the one. PM'd Eric and he recommended them. This was actually the first shop I considered but they look like a big outfit and I wasn't sure they'd do small jobs. Eric said they do. I like that they provide a lot of detail on their site about their finishes and services. Still have a lot of wire brushing/vibration tumbling/blasting to do...
rgolia
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 27 2018, 10:22 AM) *

That is simply Outstanding Rob. I gotta get out your way to see it in person. There are a few 911s that I was looking at out that way too and I would love to see my geology thesis area again.....Coal Valley Nevada.
sixnotfour
Ogden Chrome will do it right no matter $$$

cad is not environmentally great ,,yellow zinc 2nd choice...it is now banned in CA
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rgolia @ Nov 28 2018, 07:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 27 2018, 10:22 AM) *

That is simply Outstanding Rob. I gotta get out your way to see it in person. There are a few 911s that I was looking at out that way too and I would love to see my geology thesis area again.....Coal Valley Nevada.

That would be great! I had Mitch Ratelle from SoCal over last weekend. It had rained the night before so The Princess stayed garaged, but it’s great to see you guys from parts unknown!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.